LegacyGT.com

WRX USA's 09 OBXT Build Thread

WRX USA

famaya26 said:
Can you post pictures of your headlight wiring?

image.thumb.png.9a58d8ac288ea052796075f4a79f0055.png

I didn't take any pics when I had it connected to the headlight but this is where I cut the harness to connect to the stock bulb holder on the right. The bulb holder on the left I tested with a 9-volt battery to find the two wires to connect to, green and white in my case.

Edited by WRX USA

famaya26 said:
The one on the left is for the turn signal correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, I cut off one of the teeth so that it would fit. Make sure to take off the o-ring first before you cut.

image.thumb.png.5d52170b8d713bb456f280205d5bf860.png

Edited by WRX USA

There's no splicing/cutting of OEM wires. I just plugged the OEM bulb holder (the part that holds the bulb in the headlight assembly) into the OEM wiring and then the hacked harness (that had resistors on it) plugs into the OEM bulb holder and then you splice the cables between the new bulb holder.

So the bumper is aesthetically about the same besides for a little different shape in the headlights and around the grill? For some reason I thought they had a little less utilitarian look to them till I was looking on eBay a couple nights ago. Now not sure it's worth it just for the squirrels lol

I have seen some Outbacks in Japan paint everything body color so that they don't have the black trim around the bottom. The bumper allows any D-F grille versus the USDM bumper which only allows the OEM grille or a modded grille. I also have OEM bumper skirts that won't fit the USDM bumper. The bumper allows you to run the aluminum hood from the 05-09 LGT hood instead of the 08-09 OB only steel hood.

compared to an 08-09 OBXT, it's a huge change. sleek, lightweight, and allows a plethora of grille designs (vs. stock or self-modded stock).

i've thought of moving to an 08+ LGT hood +other bits just for the sleek/lightweight aspect. more grill options would be nice too.

@WRX: are there any issues with TMIC to scoop fitment with an OBXT that still has spacers?

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

compared to an 08-09 OBXT, it's a huge change. sleek, lightweight, and allows a plethora of grille designs (vs. stock or self-modded stock).

i've thought of moving to an 08+ LGT hood +other bits just for the sleek/lightweight aspect. more grill options would be nice too.

@WRX: are there any issues with TMIC to scoop fitment with an OBXT that still has spacers?

I have the Grimmspeed TMIC that has the gap at the front of the TMIC splitter.

The top one is turn signal, which are the 2 parts you ordered from Amazon plus the OEM bulb holder off of of your stock headlights. The bottom one is high/low beams and I bought 2 extra USDM headlight harnesses to mate with the existing JDM harness on the JDM headlight. I cut off that large rectangular connector off of the JDM harness that has 6 wires terminated in it. Alternatively you could cannibalize the harness off of your USDM headlights.

So I can cut this one off and mate my oem harness from my current lights to make them run.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/70d2a1353a3947d602ad44d6d285cf12.jpg

Cut this one

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/62a7776098522f79457b7cf728d62599.jpg

Replace with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/00964d7d857bede593fa53ec8695c9a9.jpg

The piece on the left I cut the 2 black wires and the red and blue right before the shrink tube.

The piece on the right I put my LED bulb in the new bulb holder/socket and then tested with a 9-Volt to make sure I had the correct two wires (green and white, in my case). If you had a switchback LED in this bulb holder/socket, you could connect the blue, red and one of the black wires to the three wires coming out of the new bulb holder/socket. I accidentally blew my hazard fuse connecting the wrong wires from that piece on the left. The function of the red and blue wires is determined by how you plug that piece on the left into the OEM bulb holder/socket.

So I can cut this one off and mate my oem harness from my current lights to make them run.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/70d2a1353a3947d602ad44d6d285cf12.jpg

Cut this one

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/62a7776098522f79457b7cf728d62599.jpg

Replace with this one.

Yes, I cut that one on the JDM headlight harness and then mated with that one from the USDM headlight harness. The USDM headlight harness connection is only high/low beam. This thread was very helpful (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-headlight-install-walkthough-249267.html). Label, before you cut the connection off of the JDM headlight harness.

You'll also notice that the USDM body side connection for high/low beam is the same connector that you need to connect to the leveler motor on the JDM headlight. I was able to get those connections off of the totaled SpecB that I got the 6MT drivetrain from. It should be an easy item to get off of a totaled car because there is almost no demand for them.