LegacyGT.com

WRX USA's 09 OBXT Build Thread

WRX USA

Any noticeable improvement with the Perrin lockdown installed? I was looking to do the same mod but wasn't sure if it was worth the price.

I have it too. I like it a lot. It both improves and reduces road feel. Without it, there is slightly more lag when you turn the wheel and you can feel more of the little road imperfections. With it, turning is more direct and reduces the little road imperfections and allows you to feel the bigger ones better.

Edited by Rhitter

I have it too. I like it a lot. It both improves and reduces road feel. Without it there is slightly more lag when you turn the wheel. and you can feel more of the little road imperfections. With it turning is more direct and reduces the little road imperfections and allows you to feel the bigger ones better.

I completely agree. It was well worth the price of admission and I have no plans to ever take it off.

As far as the aesthetic changes go, when I'm done I will be able to fit any Legacy D-F grille, I will have factory HIDs with leveling, an aluminum hood, and factory lip skirts. Here is one of the grilles I got.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/2A724D35-59A3-4939-BE01-091A3F83F9F4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

6MT should be installed early this week. I have no intention of changing my suspension or wheel/tire combination (other than using my 04 BBS's).

The reason that I went with the SpecB 6MT over an STi 6MT is that I didn't want DCCD and I wanted the taller 6th to lower RPMs cruising on road trips. My current transmission and clutch is at 114K and I intend on going Flex Fuel so I had concerns about already needing a clutch while at the same time adding enough power that could stress the transmission. This 6MT had a clutch replacement 3K ago and only has 62K on it.

6MT should be installed early this week. I have no intention of changing my suspension or wheel/tire combination (other than using my 04 BBS's).

The reason that I went with the SpecB 6MT over an STi 6MT is that I didn't want DCCD and I wanted the taller 6th to lower RPMs cruising on road trips. My current transmission and clutch is at 114K and I intend on going Flex Fuel so I had concerns about already needing a clutch while at the same time adding enough power that could stress the transmission. This 6MT had a clutch replacement 3K ago and only has 62K on it.

Same reasons here, for the want that is. Cept i probably won't go flex/e85, cause it's just too uncommon round here. Wanted to, but the reasonably close station went away.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Not yet, it is still at the shop. I had them replace my steering rack while it was apart yesterday, since after replacing all of the axles I should get an alignment anyways.

Had a chance to drive it yet?

I picked up my car around 3pm today and since I wasn't used to the clutch I accidentally launched it in the rain, setting off the traction control. It is amazing how much better the cars feels and in hindsight how clunky the 5MT felt. Driving on the freeway I also saw increased MPG which is nice for my road trips. I still need to get an alignment on Monday when the pro alignment shop is open, but it is easy to tell the difference between the OBXT and LGT steering rack and I am happy I was able to do it at the same time. I am sure I'll have more to say once I have really put some miles on it.

Cliff notes:

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I picked up my car around 3pm today and since I wasn't used to the clutch I accidentally launched it in the rain, setting off the traction control. It is amazing how much better the cars feels and in hindsight how clunky the 5MT felt. Driving on the freeway I also saw increased MPG which is nice for my road trips. I still need to get an alignment on Monday when the pro alignment shop is open, but it is easy to tell the difference between the OBXT and LGT steering rack and I am happy I was able to do it at the same time. I am sure I'll have more to say once I have really put some miles on it.

Cliff notes:

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I'll need to drive your car to convince me :D and you can drive mine to see if you missed anything by not going with an STI steering rack.

Did you get a short throw shifter installed with the 6mt?

I'll need to drive your car to convince me :D and you can drive mine to see if you missed anything by not going with an STI steering rack.

Did you get a short throw shifter installed with the 6mt?

I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

The PO owner had a Cobb STS which I also got.

I almost beat the elusive $3k SpecB 6MT swap barrier!

I went down to the shop today to take care of my bill because he wasn't sure about it yesterday and I also proposed trading all of my old 5MT driveline (since it would just sit around, and probably take a while to part out). The total price for the SpecB driveline (trans, drive shaft, rear diff, all axles, all mounts, all bolts, slave cylinder, new Exedy OEM replacement clutch, flywheel, starter) was $2500. The Cobb short throw was another $100. The install of everything including a new TOB and the steering rack (also taken from the SpecB) was $400 after trading him all of my old crap. So all in all, I'm right at $3k fully installed with a steering rack.

EDIT: Although we agreed on $400, I just noticed that he charged me $399.60 for the installation (and rack) so at $2999.60 I DID beat the elusive $3k SpecB 6MT price fully installed (with the entire SpecB drivetrain and a steering rack).

Edited by WRX USA

I hate you.

If you are looking for all of the SpecB aluminum bits the same guy is selling all of those for a really good deal. Even shipped it wouldn't be bad.

If you are looking for all of the SpecB aluminum bits the same guy is selling all of those for a really good deal. Even shipped it wouldn't be bad.

Oh yeah? And the trailing arms and lcas are usable at stock obxt height, right?

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I just got this pic:

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/6D1D16A9-A0E0-46BB-8ADD-53322CF17204.jpg

JMP custom VF52 (porting/polishing by Grimmspeed) with TurboSmart IWG-75

Edited by WRX USA