LegacyGT.com

WRX USA's 09 OBXT Build Thread

WRX USA

I want a dead accurate digital oil level gauge that doesn’t require me popping the hood. i’d Pay $300-500 for that. 7-1000 if it included temp and pressure.

This can be 2/3 done with Defi sensors, the Defi Smart Adapter (http://www.defi-shop.com/products/smart_adp_w/summary_smart_adp_w/), and a phone/tablet.

we actually do "level sense" stuff inside our products (some of them at least). never thought about this as an application for it. it's hard to do in general.

our easiest was a thermistor bead based sensing where submersion in the liquid caused cooling, and when the level gets too low, it comes out and heats up. could add a second thermistor at a different height to track "full" as well as "empty". would only work at rest, or would be best to check before starting each time, like roll to accessory position and check, then start engine if you like the answer. sounds simple, depending on the dipstick path into the engine.

we also have done optical and conductive. nothing's perfect or easy...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Couldn’t you build a “splash guard” around the sensor so that it is reading at the actual level, regardless of operation (understood the level would change once the oil pump starts).

In regards to feedback, all you need is 5-6 LEDs (depending on the oil pan) to show you the amount of quarts.

Edited by WRX USA

maybe on the splashguard. depends on space and surface tension. need space around the thermistor so you don't hold some liquid (oil) back and give false full reading.

depends on liquid temp too. lots of requirements to keep track of. thermistors also require calibration and only work in a certain temp zone.

it's for sure possible. i'd error towards a red/green led to just say empty or not empty. not alot of "depth" difference to do much more.

What about a small scale bubbler system. We use those on ships for fuel take level transmitters and use the air pressure to tell a pressure transducer the tank level. I also did something in one of my classes that we used the bubbler to sense level and then actuate an inlet and outlet valve to control the level height.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

toilets have been doin it for years! float valves! oh, and our gas tanks do.

or do you mean like the passenger seat sensor kinda thing? heat will change the answer again.

all good ideas.

edit: oh, and it's a relatively pressurized system too (at least when the car is on). need to make a comprehensive requirements list...

Edited by Flinkly

Neither. It's a tube that goes into the fluid and sends a controlled amount of air into it and with the varying pressure based on the level of the fluid is calibrated to be different amount of fluid in the tank.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I spoke to Surgeline today and they have the heads back from the machine shop and my actual build starts this Thursday. I am praying that the valve bucket gods assist me with their product availability. That is about the only thing left that keeps the completion date from being predictable.

Killer B fixed the welds on the internal baffling on my oil pan under warranty and I’ll have it back Friday. The whole warranty process was pretty painless. All you need to do is contact them for an RMA number and then send it back to them (on your dime), they fix it and return it to you (on their dime).

I got my oil pan back from Killer B and the welds that failed should never fail again. I dropped it off at Surgeline and found out that my heads went on my new block yesterday and they have ordered all of the valve buckets. It’s looking like March completion, I just don’t know how late in March.

You must be missing your car bad I bet.

Big time! The hardest part is having no idea of when I’ll get it back.

I only have until next Friday to get my WRX smogged and registered. I resolved the misfire issues with new OEM coil packs and then I got a new tune from GST that should allow all sensors to come to “ready”. I went for a random drive to Salem today, trying to get the sensors all to ready and I threw a P0136 which looks like a bad rear o2 sensor so hopefully a new sensor will resolve that and I can smogged and then I won’t be so stressed about when my OBXT is done.

Surgeline got all the valve buckets that they needed for my build today so predictability on completion date should come soon. It sounds like at least a couple of weeks between finishing the build and initial break in on the dyno. I was also able to smog and register my WRX today so I’m not as stressed about when they complete it since I have legal transportation.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my car today.

I’m on a break in map getting 316hp/311tq. I’m hoping to add these first 1000 miles quickly so I can get the power tune and not be limited to 5k rpm and 12psi boost. They forgot to plumb the EWG dump into the downpipe so I’ll make the call on whether I still want that when I take it in for the power tune.

I installed the STi airbag and the SuperStick oil dipstick when I got it home.

What I don’t get is that they didnt find a fuel leak.

IDgSDSX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Fuel on the MCB

This showed up again over the weekend. I took it down to Surgeline today and they determined it was a leaky fuel dampener (which they haven’t seen before). They threw on a new dampener for me and confirmed that the leak was gone.

Huge thanks to ValleyLegacy for helping me find all of the bits necessary for an EDM center console swap!

We started trying to find everything back in August. I found a center console on ebay Germany and the seller also found me the shifter trim ring and e-brake boot. Then after a bad German Subaru parts dealer sat on the order for months doing nothing he was able to find the remaining parts on EBay Italy. The parts themselves were in Latvia. I also found the double console box and Alcantara armrest cover on Yahoo Japan Auctions. I got the remaining parts today so I’ll probably swap this weekend if not early next week.

Dropped off the Liberal Albero rear under panel to get vinyl wrapped. Liberal “paint matched” it in Japan which was actually fairly cheap but it looks like 36J, Arctic White Pearl, rather than the 37J, satin white pearl, that I ordered. I opted to go with a gunmetal wrap to match my wheels (Enkei Raijins and ‘04 STi BBS’s) for a little contrast on the rear end. I was going to have it clear-bra’d for protection just because of where it is mounted so vinyl wrap will accomplish the same thing.