LegacyGT.com

Rotated Twin Scroll EFR 7163 build

someone say tittiwop? I just recently threw on the vacuum lines for BCS boost control. I'm using a dual port wastegate actuator so I think I have it hooked up correctly now. I'll shorten them up once it's verified.

Notice the TiAL BOV is disconnected. I am using only the EFR BPV atm. I'm running a 75mm KSTech intake. They basically made it special for me but they have done a few of these intakes for rotated setups now. It's a very nice intake. The air filter ducts down into the fender area. The charge pipes were made custom by Rawspeed, a local shop. It's snug but I'm really happy with how the charge pipe runs.

efr1.thumb.jpg.9810a7c8de04a6403ab9e751d79297f5.jpg

efr2.thumb.jpg.a663070caa0b841868e1cc4105d0563d.jpg

efr4.thumb.jpg.f38f05f7ee3c033e9af980c0fc64b90e.jpg

efr3.thumb.jpg.89d3c900c154ac5170f82ede11af7e2f.jpg

efr5.thumb.jpg.c031e965f481e349ac847f4f8d8d87d2.jpg

efr6.thumb.jpg.2a97a93417a908b7e7543d7f71262cc7.jpg

efr8.thumb.jpg.ce9651d07981ff75bc1bc7346c581589.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an access port running maf for now. Plan is to go speed density. I'm collecting data for the ve table.

Car sounds way different. Turbo noise, exhaust note, everything. I am running stock mufflers with nameless cat back so it has a smooth growl to it but no boxer rumble. I may get some 5 in nameless mufflers to open up the sound more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Franz,

What are the inner diameters (IDs) of the primary and secondary runners in your custom manifold?

Nice coating, who made it?

Thanks, I am about to start building up a similar setup with the goal of best possible spool for good low end / street response - this is going to be my daily driver :)

(Thinking of full race manifold & UP, but if I can get smaller runners for better low end I'll be interested...)

I'm not sure on the primaries, but the secondary runners are 1.75" each. The low end is strong and the car isn't even fully tuned yet.

TIGWERKS made the exhaust components and used a local (to him) ceramic coater. The coating is nice.

I'm installing my 4 port BCS this weekend, so I'll be starting to dial in the boost control.

Thank you Franz,

I am thinking of getting a custom TS & UP done (potentially by Tigwerks as well,)

using the smallest possible primary runners - the goal is to optimize for max exhaust gas velocity for quickest possible spool (even at the expense of the top end, if any.)

I believe that the EJ25 exhaust ports are something like 1.25" in ID so there is no reason to have larger primaries...

I am encouraged that your initial tune indicates good low end, I would be worried with your secondaries being >3mm larger than those by Full Race (theirs are 1.625", with 1.4" primaries) and your longer (than stock) duration GSC S1 cam you might pay a slight spool penalty.

(I am contemplating staying with OEM cams for my motor built to get best spool / low end, even if it may cost me a bit on top.)

Excited to see that you are using a 4-port BCS - it is true that is has better tuning potential, and specifically better low end? I been discussing this option with a few tuners (I don't know enough about it myself,) but either they don't have experience tuning using 4port or they say it results in "wavy" torque curve.

So looking forward to your results.

Thanks again for sharing - we all appreciate it!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

500 miles so far on the new engine. Car is running well although I need to gain a little more clearance for the twin scroll up-pipe. Dremel will be going to work soon. Looking to tune the car once 1000 miles are on and the oil is switched to synthetic. I registered for a track day on July 8 so the pressure is on to get all the tiny issues sorted!

I designed and 3D printed a block off plate for my Tial BOV flange. I'm only using the EFR BPV now. The plastic block off plate is holding pressure so far.. we'll see how it does with 25+ PSI

IMO 500 miles, you should be good for a oil change and a tune. Then another oil change before your track day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 11 months later...
Been awhile since I did an update. Car is still running well. The turbine housing wanted to separate from the core at the track day, so I bought some drilled bolts and safety wired them. The 3D printed block off deformed from heat before the track day, so we replaced that section with a blank pipe and no flange. The built-in EFR recirc valve works awesome. I got a new AEM MAP sensor (omnipower died), so I'm wiring that up soon and am looking at speed density tuning options. May have a local tuner help me with the speed density part. Car made around 380whp on a mustang dyno 93 octane with 19-20 PSI and conservative timing. Definitely more in it.

I think that built-in BPV has a lot to do with the way this turbo does so well in boost recovery post-shift. I never could figure out why Subaru always used to let the charge air heat the intercooler just to vent it back to the intake.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Been awhile since I did an update. Car is still running well. The turbine housing wanted to separate from the core at the track day, so I bought some drilled bolts and safety wired them. The 3D printed block off deformed from heat before the track day, so we replaced that section with a blank pipe and no flange. The built-in EFR recirc valve works awesome. I got a new AEM MAP sensor (omnipower died), so I'm wiring that up soon and am looking at speed density tuning options. May have a local tuner help me with the speed density part. Car made around 380whp on a mustang dyno 93 octane with 19-20 PSI and conservative timing. Definitely more in it.

Did you upgrade the spring in the bulit in recirc valve? I still havent had my Full Race 7163TS setup all sorted out yet. Before storing the car away for winter it put down 355/378tq on dynojet, tuner had to dial it down due to fuel issues I think ended up at ~335/370 around 15psi. Besides fuel issues multiple tuners had issues with car holding higher boost. So I think we decided that turbo needs a stiffer spring for the BPV, and upgrade to dual port IWG.

Did you get the stiffer wastegate actuator spring?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I have the stiffer bpv spring with the metal cover.

I'm running a 1 bar iwg spring with a 4 port solenoid. I think I need to increase the preload some more to hold boost a little better up top when it's hot out, even with the dual port iwg actuator

Xtea are you fmic or tmic?

TMIC Baby! I'm not aiming for 500+ hp though.

I asked about the integrated bpv on the nasioc efr thread before purchasing my IRL comp housing turbo. I was curious what people thought about it being a performance add vs value/marketing add. The consensus there was it was a value/market add and also benefited a clean engine bay. Most race cars don't even use bpvs I guess. I don't think the compressor fins are designed to catch air like the turbine fins which is something I didn't think about when I posed the question. Also if it had an appreciable effect I would think that it would mess with afr and requested psi mid shift.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2394879&page=92

After that recent thread that came up about doseing (turbo flutter), and knowing that IRL cars didn't run a bpv with these turbos, I'm contemplating having a ricer night and running without the bpv for shi1s and giggles. Probably a bad idea though.

No BPV will cause surge and will shorten the life of the turbo when running high boost pressures. Race cars probably replace the cores at regular intervals (like engines lol). I have not been able to find a source of rebuild parts for Borg Warner EFR turbos. There are no seal or bearing kits so if it has a problem, the entire supercore has to be replaced.

Yea I am using the high boost IWG canister. but I did not upgrade the recirc spring/plate

Turbosmart have a really nice all-metal replacement BPV kit. Works really well.

• 10 months later...

Posting an update.

Using the built-in bpv at sonoma raceway last fall was great. Very pleased with the boost recovery.

Noticed oil in the turbine housing because there is a little bit of oil smoke in the exhaust at idle. I'm going to pull the turbo and test the seals but also change to a larger pipe fitting for the oil drain. Other than that it's been a nice setup.

Posting an update.

Using the built-in bpv at sonoma raceway last fall was great. Very pleased with the boost recovery.

Noticed oil in the turbine housing because there is a little bit of oil smoke in the exhaust at idle. I'm going to pull the turbo and test the seals but also change to a larger pipe fitting for the oil drain. Other than that it's been a nice setup.

Was size of restrictor to you have for the oil feed?

My car is in the shop getting an EWG set-up installed and my guy hunted down an oil leak I've had since the build, and he thinks the turbo is getting too much oil but the banjo w/orifice that came with it ?

I mentioned going bigger on the drain but he wants to make sure the feed isn't too large.

Archived