LegacyGT.com

no idea lifts were this inexpensive

Necrothisthread....Im considering a lift...not sure exactly what yet...guess portability would be nice cuz I have a garage and share a concrete floor barn with my dsd....I'm gonna just start researching etc....

Any input or what u all use etc...

Sgt.gator's 4 post, bendpak, has an option for wheels. You could roll it around.

I have seen portable jacks at the track but seem a bit clunky and never caught on. I did see an interesting jury-rigged lift one day...an open wheel car needed underbody work, so they hooked the roll bar to the lift gate on one of the race trailers. Lifted gate and car. There were more safety ppl than workers, but it saved the guy from going home with a broken car. Safety is a relative concept.

Visit shops. Ask them what they use. Visit racecar shops. Ask what they use. Ask them what they would buy if they could buy again. Ask enough shops, you'll get a "best". Buy that.

We have 220 in the barn for the welders etc...garage not sure...my dad and I would be able to hook the garage up I believe if I had to but honestly it's not imperative...good suggestion on the race car shops etc...waiting on a friend to get back on what he uses..he works on quite a bit etc..

Necrothisthread....Im considering a lift...not sure exactly what yet...guess portability would be nice cuz I have a garage and share a concrete floor barn with my dsd....I'm gonna just start researching etc....

Any input or what u all use etc...

Over the years I have used every kind of lift made and if I had the room I would buy a quality four post with the trollies/jacks in the the middle.

They are the safest most versatile lifts made.

You get what you pay for.

Good luck

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Over the years I have used every kind of lift made and if I had the room I would buy a quality four post with the trollies/jacks in the the middle.

They are the safest most versatile lifts made.

You get what you pay for.

Good luck

Sgt. Gator keeps saying the same thing. He has that setup too :-)

Also keep in mind that some lifts have specific power requirements. Portability won't help much if the lift needs a 220 line and you can't get one to where you want to use it.

Here it would be 400V 3-phase for most lifts.

453747.png

Challenger lifts work well. I've lifted 10k lb trucks with their 2 post lifts, with no issues. If installed properly, you should not have any issues. Lift locks are a must and ALWAYS set the car down on the locks.

Some problems with two post lifts are

If you don't know for sure, think residential concrete floor, the thickness, the PSI rating of the pour, footings and is there proper re-bar installed which could be lacking. Most residential garage floors are not in specs./designed for 2 post lifts because it costs more. I paid extra to have my floor installed with a lift in mind.

4 post lifts are much more versatile and safer. You don't have to balance your machine on a 4 post just drive it on. If you want to check say driveshaft angles, test a suspension for clearance, ride height, etc. the two post is worthless.

You don't have to worry about the correct lift points with a 4 post which may not be a big issue except when lifting some cars i.e. a late model Corvette.

The 4 post gives you a place to set your tools no binding over. :lol:

These are just my observations having used both styles your results may vary.

Good luck

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Keep em coming..all great bits of info....definite plus to the 4 post ...as far as the floor ...what it's rated for etc...the balancing act of a 2 post kinda freaks me out thinking about it...and also I'm inexperienced when it comes to yhe...same with 4 post but a 4 post definitely seems more rigid..safer..etc..

With a 4 post you have four different posts that are in the way when you work with the car though.

Think about what kind of work you will do before deciding. Of course - if you get a 2-post you may need to reinforce the floor, but that may be the case with a 4-post too.

453747.png

Most vehicles take 15 seconds to set on a lift. I always hit the first lock on the lift, then rock the car to make sure it's stable. As long as you aren't lifting a Ford Ranger/Mazda B truck, there's little to worry about. I've done just about everything possible on a 2 post lift and would not hesitate putting one in my house if I had the opportunity. Find the right contractor for the job, find a suitable lift for your weight needs and happy wrenching!

If you have the opportunity to be able to stand completely under your car, take full advantage of it! Your neck and back will thank you.

I've had a BendPak HD-9 4 post lift in my home garage for 7 years now. A few Pros and Cons of each:

The big Pro is for both. I can't believe I worked on cars for so many years without one!

Both: Get a 220/240 v pump. A 120v takes a long time.

Both: A good air compressor to run the safety blocks. And in the case of the 4 post you'll need a good one to run the Rolling Bridge Jack.

4 Post

Pros:

It doubles as a storage space. In fact that's their main purpose. You can put two cars in the footprint of one on a long term basis.

No need to reinforce concrete, or to bolt it down. In fact my Bend Pak HD- 9 came with caster wheels, you can actually roll it around the shop with a car on it!

(However it requires an air line for the safety system, so that has to be a quick disconnect type, and the electrical too.)

It's relatively safer, although it is possible for the car to roll to the end and off the lift if you don't have safety blocks up. It usually happens to me when the car rolls off the weight scales at times you aren't expecting it. I have this issue more than most because my race cars don't have parking brakes.

Pro: The cables and hydraulic ram are entirely under one of the runways. That leaves the other runway as a great place to store long stock materials. I welded flat steel bars across the bottom of the unused runway and store a lot of aluminum and flat steel pieces that normally are a pain to store in your garage.

Pro: The two long runways can occasionally be used as benches, long work surfaces, and an elevator for getting up high to reach things. When you run out of empty bench space and need to work on a long project, just raise your 4 post to waist height and get to work on it.

Con: Without a Rolling Bridge Jack a four post is not good for working on cars, still works great for storage. If the lift is for working on cars the Rolling Bridge Jack is a necessity, but ups the cost by at least $1,200.

Con: You'll likely need longer ramps than come with the lift if your car is lowered at all. That means you have to setup the ramps every time you put the car on and take it off. If you take the oem ramps off you'll need to build safety stops that auto flop down when the lift rises to keep the car from rolling off the lift accidentally. I use a set of Race Ramps to get my low slung cars on and off the lift. Also the oem ramps hang off the back of the lift, it's easy to walk into them accidentally and they get in the way. Another reason to take them off.

The last con has to do with the height of the runways + raising the car off the runways with the rolling bridge jack means you'll need a taller ceiling than with a two post.

2 Post:

Pros: Great for access to the underside of the car. Much better for under car and suspension work than a 4 post.

Pro: Uses slightly less ceiling height than a 4 post.

Pro: Has a smaller footprint.

Con: Possibly a little less safe than a 4 post.

Con: Requires reinforcing the concrete to take the weight, and must be bolted down.

Con: Should not be used for long term car storage, it's not good for the suspension to droop for long periods.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 5 weeks later...
I am too old to crawl around on the hard ground under cars anymore. I have an Atlas 9k two-post lift installed on the side of my house for about two years now. My garage ceiling height is too low and I didn't want a mid-rise lift. I paid dearly to have a concrete pad poured to the specs identified in the Atlas literature. It voids the warranty to be outside, but I keep it lubed well and I give it a close inspection monthly. All told, it was $2300 shipped to my house, including a couple of tall jack stands and an oil drain tank on wheels. Life if good!

Archived