LegacyGT.com

1/4 mile Elec VS Carb

I'm absolutely considering a separate E85 map, however I have spent all of my time researching upgrades for normal fueling. I'm not sure how big to go on the pump and injectors if I were to tune for E85. Any suggestions? I want to set it up so I can run 93 fuel for daily driving and once in a while change to a corn map when I'm feeling "spirited."

This is funny... once you go to the corn map you will not, under any circumstances, want to go back to 91. I picked up 42hp/47ft lbs with e85, switching back would feel like I downgraded to a Camry.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm absolutely considering a separate E85 map, however I have spent all of my time researching upgrades for normal fueling. I'm not sure how big to go on the pump and injectors if I were to tune for E85. Any suggestions? I want to set it up so I can run 93 fuel for daily driving and once in a while change to a corn map when I'm feeling "spirited."

I'd advise against that. It's not good to switch back and forth often. Your 93 map would be tuned for just that and likewise with your E85 map. Unless you completely drain your tank between fills, that could produce some unwanted issues. That's why any good tuner won't completely tune an E85 map until after a few fillups of corn fuel. They normally give you a base map and advise no boost until after putting the final touches on the tune.

That being said, ID1000 injectors and a Walbro 255 fuel pump should be sufficient with a VF52 or smaller turbo. Anything bigger, you'll need at least a larger fuel pump.

Being a fan of simplicity, I will most like just focus all of my energy on 93 fuel + Tune and hope for the best, after all it is my DD. I think adding the removable/replaceable exhaust cut out will offset the absence of E85.

With an exhaust cutout won't you have to adjust WGDC to prevent overboosting, and at least checking timing and AF to ensure no badness is going on?

I'm a big fan of simplicity too and thought e85 was too much hassle for so long, it's not. I think it's easier, cheaper and will give you more power than an exhaust cutout. As a daily driver with no stations nearby it doesn't make sense, but neither does an exhaust cutout. :)

I have the same dilemma: Not enough E85 stations. Yes, you absolutely have to adjust for the cut out. I'm going to get a separate tune so I can take off the cut out cover and occasionally shred up the town on the weekend, and hopefully not get pulled over for noise pollution!

I am pretty picky about where I put gas anyway so only having a station or 2 around wouldn't bother me. You should maybe do a low profile side exit for the cutout and get an electric valve for it they aren't that expensive then you just flip the switch and switch the tune.

• 1 month later...

A slight update on the FIL's car: The 440 is built.

Here is what is inside the '67 440 HP Block:

-Factory crank

-upgraded rods (not sure of brand)

-upgraded pistons (not sure of brand)

- Mopar Purple Camshafts (not sur of LIFT)

-upgraded carb (not sure of CFM)

-Its going to have the stock exhaust manifolds with 2.5" exhaust to the tips With these upgrades, I estimate the car to have at most 475HP at the crank. If you factor in a generous 17% drivetrain loss, that puts about 395 HP to the rear wheels. One hell of an engine I must say! Cant wait to see it in action. His car will weigh at least 4200 Lbs maybe more.

Here is what my car will be running:

-5EAT Valve Body-currently installed

-GrimmSpeed up pipe-currently installed

-GrimmSpeed TMIC-currently installed

-GrimmSpeed 3 port Boost control Solenoid-currently installed

-Invidia Catted Downpipe-currently installed

-VF52 ported, polished and ceramicoated-Awaiting Spring for install

-GrimmSpeed Cold Air Intake-Awaiting spring for Install

-DW65C Pump-Awaiting spring for install

-DW 740CC Injectors-Awaiting spring for install

-Perrin Inlet-Awaiting Spring for install

With my currently installed set up and Pro Tune I dynoded at 235awhp and 299awtq on a local DynaPack.

I think its going to be a close Race.

I think its going to be a close Race.

This. Assuming one of you doesn't tree the other too bad, it'll be a damn close race! My guess is that you'll get away a little in first/second, then he should start to reel you in by the 1/8th mile... but at this point, it'll be too late. LGT by a car or two, low 13's @ 105ish, depending on track conditions.

Do some sleuthing and try to figure out details on the MOPAR's engine internals. Compression ratio is a big X factor, and those pistons could nuke your chances. No pun intended.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 2 months later...
I installed my DW 65c Fuel Pump last weekend. The installation was easy, but time consuming, it took me a good 4 hours. After completion, I noticed better throttle response and better gas mileage. I think the OEM pump either wasn't keeping up with my current tune or was just on its way out. I'm getting psyched to get the rest of the mods on and get it retuned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick Update:

-5EAT Valve Body-currently installed

-GrimmSpeed up pipe-currently installed

-GrimmSpeed TMIC-currently installed

-GrimmSpeed 3 port Boost control Solenoid-currently installed

-Invidia Catted Downpipe-currently installed

-VF52 ported, polished and ceramicoated-currently installed

-GrimmSpeed Cold Air Intake-currently installed

-DW65C Pump-currently installed

-DW 740CC Injectors-currently installed

-Tomioka Racing Inlet-currently installed

All Hardware is installed, I just have to bring it in for Dyno Tuning. I cant wait to see how different the car is vs the Stage2 set up! That Inlet installation sucked ass! Never again!

Not sure, His car should be done within the next month or two but now he has been talking about not wanting to bother with the one time race any more. I'm not sure why. Hopefully I can coax him into coming out to test and tune night at Lebanon Valley Speedway. I'm going to hit the 1/4 just once to see just what my daily driver is capable of! Its all for fun.

Will do, starting with posting up the results from my tune. I'll hopefully have some results by the end of the week, my tuner has to try to squeeze me in somewhere this week. I'm hoping he can get me tuned tomorrow. The wait is unbearable! My car has been down for 3 weeks. I spent all of that wrench time and the car is still just sitting in the driveway as an oversized paperweight! I have a temporary e-tune but just don't want to drive around wily-nily on it.

...now he has been talking about not wanting to bother with the one time race any more. I'm not sure why. Hopefully I can coax him into coming out to test and tune night at Lebanon Valley Speedway. I'm going to hit the 1/4 just once to see just what my daily driver is capable of! Its all for fun.

Yea don't let him back out like that. You've got us all wanting a race here, can't disappoint the internets... if he really won't run, tell him his slocar wouldn't have kept up with your 4 cylinder anyway. Then take him for a test drive and let the torque do the talking.

Where are you having the car tuned?

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Young guys with foreign cars talking smack is always a sure fire way to get the old timers to go on green, so I'll get him there. I'm having my car tuned (FINALLY TODAY, @ 10A.M.) at a local to me shop called Quantum Race Works. Although not known well on the internet, they are well known locally. This is the same shop that did my stage 2 tune. It has been livey and reliable for the past year, but its time to move on.

Here is their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Quantumraceworks

There is plenty of video footage on their wall of them putting out competent numbers on their dyna-pack dyno, which as far as I'm concerned reads just as low as a mustang! Those guys are lots of fun and don't charge too much either. If you need anything custom welded like a SS turbo manifold, its like art to them.

How much Subaru specific experience do they have? Just like welding a nice stainless manifold, tuning these cars is also a specialty skill... consider reaching out to Mike at Tuning Alliance. I'm sure he'd be up for checking out some logs to confirm that you're running on a safe tune.
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

No worries, although they tune almost anything they specialize in subarus. They tune more of them than anything else. The guy who owns the shop and solely does the tuning is a mathematical genius. He has a Master's in Meteorology. I sat next to him during my tune and discussed with him throughout the process what I wanted. I made sure he knew that even though I wanted it to be a fun car, if I pushed it as the driver to limit the tables and save my engine. We went back and forth with it for a while and ended up with a pretty nice looking graph this Afternoon. So I have piece of mind that I have a little headroom with my tune. I do realize that some of this is my responsibility as the driver but its great to have a tune to tailored to your driving style. So rest assured Subaru or otherwise, your getting a tune for more than just boost when you take your car to Quantum Race Works!:spin: He still has to email me my Graph, so I will post it here as soon as I get it. Final #'s IIRC were 266 awhp and 280ish awtq but it comes on wicked quick and doesn't stop. I installed a VF52 because I wanted the same spool as the VF40 with more mid and upper, and that's exactly what I got. These final #'s could have been decently higher but we kept things safe because of my spirited driving style and the fact that this is my DD. That way I can have my cake and eat it too. The target boost was 18 tapering down to 15 IIRC and I believe he set a boost cut for 20. The Graph was much flatter than my stage 2 tune. I will Post the overlay graph when he sends it.

I was helping the FIL and his friend with his car today and did a little snooping.

'67 Dodge Coronet R/T

Engine: 440 bored .030 over

Pistons: 10.7:1

Mopar Purple racing Cams

Torque converter: 2500 RPM stall

Weight with him in it: about 4200 Lbs

Everything else on the car is stock, which I can Vouch for because I have been around for the entire build.

I'm pretty sure that stall speed is way low given the aggressive cams and high compression but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure that stall speed is way low given the aggressive cams and high compression but I could be wrong.

Is he running enough tire to launch at a higher RPM?

I still think you'll win if you can put the power down early. Weight is the main thing you have going for you. I'd pull the spare, jack, and windshield washer reservoir, and maybe the seats :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

He just running the stock 15" "Magnum" wheels that came stock on the car. They aren't intimidatingly wide at 8", and he is a penny pincher which means cheap radials for sure.

I was definitely planning on gutting the entire trunk and back seat since It comes out and reinstalls super easy! Gonna 1/2 tank it too. I already got my summer wheels/tires on for the season. They are Enkei RPM2's 18x7.5 +50ET which required no modification to fit the stock suspension on the 05 outback! They are wrapped in firestone firehawk INDY 500's 225-50-18's which is within millimeters of the stock rolling diameter.

I personally go with less than an 1/8th of a tank of gas. Gas is 6 lbs a gallon, doesn't make sense to pull the spare or back seat if you have 50+ pounds of gas in there.

Archived