LegacyGT.com

1/4 mile Elec VS Carb

Neither one of us has ever attempted it. With both have Auto Trans. I'll have appropriate summer/performance tires, he will not have slicks. I've started an "oops" fund. I was thinking of putting a bag of ice on the top mount, but don't know how long this would last. Ive also been considering a TMIC sprayer. i'll have to look into the dry ice option..hadn't herd about that until now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neither one of us has ever attempted it. With both have Auto Trans. I'll have appropriate summer/performance tires, he will not have slicks. I've started an "oops" fund. I was thinking of putting a bag of ice on the top mount, but don't know how long this would last. Ive also been considering a TMIC sprayer. i'll have to look into the dry ice option..hadn't herd about that until now.

Your run is 14 seconds at most. What you want is for it to be cold as possible at the starting line and not be heat soaked waiting in line.

There are apps that can train you on launching quicker.

Is he using a modified transmission?

As someone else asked, if you beat your FIL what happens next? Somehow I think the sayings of that legendary philosopher Han Solo might apply here "Let the wookie win", er FIL.

We are very close, I'm helping him build his car. A victory for me wouldn't jeapordize our friendship. This needs to happen! The force is strong with this one..

• 2 weeks later...
Max Capacity: My father in law and I will be matching up at Lebennon Valley when the time comes. What was installed on your wagon when your son ran 13.86? Where you running a vf40? I would be completely content if my car could run in the 13's. I'm currently on a reman vf40, and struggling with an upgrade choice. Everybody knows why.

Forgot about this thread, sorry.

Yea, my wagon was stock, just a MBC. The car had maybe 20,000 miles on it.

Your 5eat will be a little slower. My son is also a pretty good driver, so I've been told by other drag racers. Has the Wally to prove it.

Good luck when the time comes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If he does a stall converter like you are saying you will be close. I don't see you getting far ahead of him in the 1/4 and he would close fast after the 1/8. You will need to launch like you trailered your car to the track and definitely keep it cool.

You should consider methanol injection or e85. Both should give you more power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Its funny you mentioned the converter. After all of this time, his builder decided last week that a 1100-1200 stall converter is best for his car, so that is what he is going with. Everything else will be stock except for the cams and pistons, possibly the carb. I'm still on the fence between a VF52, 16G, or 18G. We've all been down that road I'm Sure. I believe a good billet 18G would insure a win. An 18G would probably put me over the wheel horse power of his car, and my car is much lighter. My OBXT's advertised curb weight is 3480 lbs. I had it weighed at my local CAT scale and it came in at 3680 with me in it. His car's advertised curb weight is 3800 lbs. Imagine what it really weighs!! I agree with you FLlegacy it will be close, but with the right mods, a lighter car, possibly the same whp, and AWD, I think i'll have the edge.

He will also be putting down some massive torque if he can get it to hook, so that 200 lbs may not be enough difference. You need to nail the launch and the 1-2-3 shift I think your best bet is to get the jump and hope he doesn't catch you. Make sure to take everything you don't absolutely need out of your car to lighten it as much as possible and don't put more fuel than necessary. Good luck. Get a video too!

Yup he will be probably be putting down 500+ lbs of torque at the crank. With a generous 20% loss (probably more) that puts 400 ft-lbs on the ground. Ive got 299lbs with the stock vf40, so with an upgrade I will be competitive. It will definitely be close and yes, I have to get a good launch. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a consistent launch. I started a thread about it in the Transmissions section to get everyone's advice. Got Any?

Lots of launch tricks you can do.... leave the car off until the last minute to keep things cool... start it, roll forward, shut it off... experiment with tire pressures... experiment with different launch rpms... try in and out of the groove... let him hit the stage lights first so you spend less time bouncing off launch rpm and heating up... dump the clutch right as you see the second yellow light up, with reaction time it will be green right as you leave the line... beware though, sh*t can break fast if you do it wrong. When is the race?

I completely forgot about it being a 5eat as well, between threads on the 5th gen forum where all the LGTs are 6mt.

My only hangup is the gear spacing in the 5eat granted you should cover most of the track by top of 2nd. Guess you dont have to worry about shifting after all. You should be running an aux cooler for the trans as well.

If you get tuned with the accessport you can use launch control. It is basically a rev limiter that shuts off after around 7 mph, at least that was how it was explained to me. I have used it a few times, it is an experience to say the least.

I haven't been able to set LC up on my Accessport. Does LC work with 5EAT Cars?

With good driving, I think you'll take him down. I've made victims of many a muscle car at stage 2 levels. Stage 3, forget it. They better have something really special if it's anything short of a dedicated drag car. But I love muscle cars. That's why I have one that's special enough to take down my stg3 LGT. ;).

Subscribed for results.

Thanks for the support! Here is an Update: I scored an unbeatable deal on a fully rebuilt, ported, polished and gasket matched VF-52! Maybe its big enough for this race, maybe its not, but I have been thinking 16G or 52 for a long time now. I didn't want to sacrifice having the fun of a quick spooling turbo for one race. Im pretty sure with the awesome mods I currently have, the 52, a pump, and bigger injectors that Ill have one hell of a daily driver! I'm thinking of installing a cut-out on the downpipe and getting a separate tune for when its unbolted. that should net some impressive results! I'm pretty confident that I have a decent chance for Victory with this set-up. I'm tuned for 93 BTW. I'm in on the GrimmSpeed Intake group buy too!

I have been studying as well! here is a very informative 1/4 mile tutorial I Found:

I never would have known, because I have never raced before to NOT go on Green!!

Here is my new Snail:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-wrx-Legacy-GT-forester-IHI-VF52-fully-rebuilt-ported-and-polished-turbo-/151827126063?hash=item23599a172f

And here is whats currently Installed:

GrimmSpeed Uppipe

Invidia Catted DownPipe

Gimmick Motorsports full 3" Catback

Hexmods Valvebody Mod

3port BCS

GrimmSpeed TMIC

Protuned Via AccessPort

235 awHP / 299 awTQ

I'm absolutely considering a separate E85 map, however I have spent all of my time researching upgrades for normal fueling. I'm not sure how big to go on the pump and injectors if I were to tune for E85. Any suggestions? I want to set it up so I can run 93 fuel for daily driving and once in a while change to a corn map when I'm feeling "spirited."

Archived