LegacyGT.com

Power steering noise normal?

Hey guys, I'm looking at an 09 legacy 3.0r but during the test drive I heard a noticeable "whine" that I thought was the transmission because it's pitch increase as the rpms increased and it was on a straight road also. Back at the dealer, the master tech said it is normal for the 3.0 six to have that sound. He got in the car and revved the engine repeatedly while turning the wheel back and forth and it was making the same whining sound so he said it was the way the power steering sounds and that its normal. You can hear it pretty good over the engine/factory exhaust when accelerating on a straight line so it's always noticeable

Is this common to these 3.0 legacies?

After reading your post, I specifically listened for a whine sound in my 3.0R. I do get a mechanical "whir" that increases with RPM. I guess one might call it a medium-high "whine" I can really only hear it in 1-3rd gear as the rpms go up. At highway speeds it quiet.

It's hard to be sure if it's the same sound you are hearing, but it might be. I always assumed it was the timing chain and regular flat 6 valve train sound. I guess it could be some of the belt driven accessories like a power steering pump.

Edited by Dispatch20

Thanks dispatch. Is it pretty noticeable to hear on your car with normal driving? This one was enough to notice while driving slowly, and while the dealer was talking also. I dont know if it goes away at higher speeds ad I was limited to about 30mph around town for a few minutes and was denied an extended test drive. I've tested a few 3.0r's which miles ranging from 50k - 90k and I've never noticed this before. I've heard the typical and pretty unnoticeable (unless you specifically listen for it) drivetrain noise but this one is 2-3 times as loud as the normal sounds.

I have a an 09' 2.5i and an 08' 3.0R Legacy. When I bought my 3.0R, I noticed that the power steering pump was quite a bit more audible than the 2.5i. My 3.0R has 80k miles on it, and I can't imagine the weight increase and quick-ratio rack would have caused the pump to pre-maturely fail and start to whine. I do notice that it is much firmer to steer in the 3.0R than the 2.5i but that can be explained by the weight and rack.

I had then noticed a pinhole leak from the o-ring in the aluminum inlet connector on the top of the power steering pump. Replaced it... actually doubled it up and fixed my whine. The pump still makes quiet weird noises but no bubbles in the steering fluid tank and its quieter although still audible.

• 4 years later...

Just want to post a recent issue with the power steering system after the replacement of a pump.

Recently replaced PS pump with a new unit. The system was flushed, properly bled of air, and still persisted to whine and make noise whenever the wheel was turned. No leaks persisted. ONE THING was over looked and wasn't mentioned in any other posts on many forums, videos, etc...

The high pressure banjo bolt must be in alignment with the high pressure outlet line. This will cause symptoms similar to air in lines or cause pump failure. This small detail can be overlooked by many shops, techs, or dealerships.

IF you are having trouble even after replacing a pump or flushing fluid... CHECK THE BANJO BOLT! Make sure it is torqued down in a way that doesnt inhibit flow to the rack...

Cheers!