LegacyGT.com

Bulb Guide

Deer Killer

About 3100K.

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/images/masters/ProductComparison_Auto%206d116f89-f521-4e9f-9a82-6e31053c9567.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but can I use that Ultra in my OEM housings without melting them? And, if not, what are the bulbs I would use to upgrade fogs and mains? Thanks.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ You can run them safely, but you might want to do a little more research. Compare the outputs in lumens, not anything else.

Thank you. Whoa. I got dizzy trying to research this. Whew! Can someone just suggest the brightest/strongest bulbs to replace OEM without hassle, until I can get around to retrofitting? Right now I'm concentrating on engine and suspension, but OEM bulbs are ass.

blackturboblack asked: "Thank you. Whoa. I got dizzy trying to research this. Whew! Can someone just suggest the brightest/strongest bulbs to replace OEM without hassle, until I can get around to retrofitting? Right now I'm concentrating on engine and suspension, but OEM bulbs are ass."

===

ALL bulbs except headlights? See these guys. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fled_prods.htm&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=superbright%20led&utm_content=45587571022&utm_campaign=365351522&OVRAW=superbright%20led&OVKEY=superbright%20led&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=45587571022&OVKWID=226808622022

CANNOT recommend them highly enough! You'll never replace one of these in your lifetime ...

Headlights / driving lights? http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=24&products_id=38

Apexcone HID after-market systems. These are what most manufacturers stupidly ommitted on YOUR car. You have the power to change that. And you'll get about 6X-8x the life of "regular" bulbs and the finest lighting you've dreamed of.

Both the SuperBrightLED's and Aperxcone HID's are 100%, so easy a caveman can do it, Plug-n-Play. You *may* have to add a resistor in the LED circuitry as these draw almost no voltage and almost zero resistance.

Happy and **SAFE** motoring! (Because you can finally SEE the road ahead at "touring" speeds!)

SubieDoobieDoo

bigdadi comments: "If you use the HID on Fog as above suggested link, use the 35 Watt lumens for the fog as its housing cannot stand too much heat."

=====

Boom! "bigdadi" speaks great wisdom. But use the 55 watters on the headlights themselves. You ... will ... be ... impressed!

My main antagomist on this site continues to berate MY choice of after-market bulbs ... yet he knows exactly NOTHING of my *exact" lamp housings nor my driving conditions and style.

I estimate I've avoided well more than a dozen incidents with other vehicles, road hazards (pot holes, sh*t dropped in the roadway by trucks etc.), animals (MANY deer, coyotes, foxes and the random dog) - plus avoided hitting a dark-clothed drunk staggering on the side of a "dual-lane carriageway" near my home.

I've yet to hit what I can see because of overwhelming superior light output ... and that type and quality of lighting which (finally!) puts me at parity with modern high-performance vehicles.

I just can't get rid of "old Paint" because she's an '89 model! So I'll just upgrade her!

^ Continue to bad-mouth me, please.....it just goes to further the evidence that's set forward against you.

I welcome anyone to read over the past exchanges I've had with SubieDoobieDoo. This, for-starters:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45991&highlight=subiedoobiedoo&page=22

Good grief! :(

Why can you not understand that I'm not against what you're doing/what you've done - but rather, your misguided reasoning and lack of logic you've applied to such reasons?

And for goodness sake, why can't you understand the words that I've written - I'm NOT somehow "against" plug-and-play kits.

Why do you continue to treat me as your "antagonist," despite the fact that all I've tried to do is to teach you, to help you, to educate you?

I know nothing about your lamp housing?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45991&page=14

^ Was that not me, trying to teach you something about your headlamps - something that you, yourself, got wrong?

Again, please, continue to insult me. I continue to enjoy it. :lol:

----

If you use the HID on Fog as above suggested link, use the 35 Watt lumens for the fog as its housing cannot stand too much heat.

Maybe in he '08+ types (for which I don't know much about :redface:), but in the '05-'07, we're blessed with a heat-resistant reflector bowl, along with true-glass optics:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19050

DeerKiller reported 3500 miles with an 100W incandescent setup, with no issues, and several of us have used/are using 85W incandescent bulbs there (you'll want to follow outahere's posts on rewiring), again with no problems, with many miles and many years logged.

And in actuality, I'd honestly go with a setup that produces as much heat as possible, down there (without the danger of melting something, of course! ;)), particularly if you live in a snow-bound region.

Why?

Simple - the heat helps keep the lamp free of accumulated snow/ice.

Look at Audi's new LED-headlamps, look at the extraordinary (and brilliant) measures they've taken to use the heat from the stars to defrost the "overlens" of the headlamps.

With the low placement of the front fogs on the BL/BPs, ice/snow accumulation becomes more than an academic concern - you'll want all the help you can get, there. :)

So, the question becomes - does a 55W HID kit produce as much heat as an 85W or even 100W standard incandescent setup?

And furthermore, how is that heat dissipated in the fog housing, as well as will the differences in how the heat may be produced cause detrimental effects to the longevity of the bulb.....?

It's no question that the 55W HID burns hotter than the 35W - but given that our '05-'07 fog bowls have seen no problems with 85 or even 100W incandescents, the question then becomes what's the relative comparison between the two bulbs, in terms of heat production, as well as how that heat may be handled.

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

ALL bulbs except headlights? Sorry, just heads and fogs.See these guys. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fled_prods.htm&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=superbright%20led&utm_content=45587571022&utm_campaign=365351522&OVRAW=superbright%20led&OVKEY=superbright%20led&OVMTC=standard&OVADID=45587571022&OVKWID=226808622022

CANNOT recommend them highly enough! You'll never replace one of these in your lifetime ...

Headlights / driving lights? http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=24&products_id=38

Apexcone HID after-market systems. These are what most manufacturers stupidly ommitted on YOUR car. You have the power to change that. And you'll get about 6X-8x the life of "regular" bulbs and the finest lighting you've dreamed of.

Both the SuperBrightLED's and Aperxcone HID's are 100%, so easy a caveman can do it, Plug-n-Play. You *may* have to add a resistor in the LED circuitry as these draw almost no voltage and almost zero resistance.

Happy and **SAFE** motoring! (Because you can finally SEE the road ahead at "touring" speeds!)

SubieDoobieDoo

Okay, is this the DDE Lightning Kit for Legacy you're recommending? Because I see mention of glue. It's probably too cold here right now for that. They make no mention of fogs, other than replacement bulbs. Yeah, those "touring" speeds. Good thing I got tin. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Could someone just, PLEASE suggest the best replacement bulbs for my 2008 LGT? I'd like blue squirrel-finders, if possible. A retro-fit is not in the plans as yet. And by best, I mean which will give the most distance and width without melting my housings or lenses and I can just change out the OEMs, which are ass anyway. TIA.

If you want the "best" incandescent solutions, forget the SilverStars ("Ultra" or not, it doesn't matter), just go back to the Daniel Stern thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45991&highlight=daniel+stern+bulb

I'd like blue squirrel-finders, if possible.

You can't control the color of what you get through the "squirrel finders," which is an artifact of the hole in the cut-off shield.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ AFAIK, that's correct, but without intimate experience with those model years, I unfortunately cannot tell you, for sure. :redface:

• 1 month later...
08+ is using a 9006 bulb for fogs, correct?

Is HB4 the same as 9006 because I apparently bought H3's only to find out it's not the same when I went to install them on my 2008 LGT.

Just wanna double check before I reorder new bulbs...

^ Don't take my word for it - but yes, HB4 is 9006. :) Check with one of the lighting-manufacturer's sites, to cross-confirm. :)

Why can't anybody answer a question without sending me back to threads that I have to read through and still can't understand? It's like dealing with Sprint: "let me connect you to...". Jeez. Can someone just answer the question, please? What are the limits of the bowls on 2008 LGT? Can the fogs and mains handle 65W without melting? Thank you.

Why can't anybody answer a question without sending me back to threads that I have to read through and still can't understand? It's like dealing with Sprint: "let me connect you to...". Jeez. Can someone just answer the question, please? What are the limits of the bowls on 2008 LGT? Can the fogs and mains handle 65W without melting? Thank you.

^ Oh yeah, that's a game winning attitude. :rolleyes:

Let's see:

You initially asked:

Could someone just, PLEASE suggest the best replacement bulbs for my 2008 LGT? I'd like blue squirrel-finders, if possible. A retro-fit is not in the plans as yet. And by best, I mean which will give the most distance and width without melting my housings or lenses and I can just change out the OEMs, which are ass anyway. TIA.

To which ClimberD suggested that you do a bit more reading/research. To which you replied:

What would I compare them to? Do you have a better bulb in mind? And what about the squirrel-finders?

Which is when I recommended:

If you want the "best" incandescent solutions, forget the SilverStars ("Ultra" or not, it doesn't matter), just go back to the Daniel Stern thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45991&highlight=daniel+stern+bulb

You can't control the color of what you get through the "squirrel finders," which is an artifact of the hole in the cut-off shield.

Why did I refer you back there?

Because the Stern thread offers the absolute "best" suggestions, as well as explains *why* the recommendations were "best." It's practically all the research/reading that you needed to do - and should've done. And to that end, SubieDoobieDoo provided plenty of good suggestions for you, if you wanted to head down the route of plug-and-play HID kits.

And I *did* answer your question, directly, about the "squirrel finder."

How did any of us give you any kind of run-around?

"Limits of the bowls?"

There's no such worry between any of the BL/BPs, in terms of either the low or high-beams, which are shared/common constructs, despite cosmetic changes.

Your asking that question shows, unfortunately, that you lack some level of basic knowledge - just as your question of wanting "blue squirrel finders" demonstrates, too.

This is why we asked you to read-up a little more, to bolster your know-how in this area.

As for the fogs, which is different for the '08-'09 models, again, what's the problem?

bigdadi already answered you here:

If you use the HID on Fog as above suggested link, use the 35 Watt lumens for the fog as its housing cannot stand too much heat.

And if didn't want to go the HID route, if you were to have done even just a little more research, you'll have seen that the 9006-based HIR modification ("hi-lo" mod) is popular, and has not posed any problems for any Subaru users with this particular fitment.

How is anyone giving you the run-around? or are you just not reading enough, and instead want to take your frustrations out on us?

Great way to thank those who are trying to help you. :(:mad:

Edited by TSi+WRX

Well, I don't see where I wasn't appreciative of all the input. I do not understand why when I ask a simple question, like "what's 1+1"? the answers I get start by explaining trigonometry. You're right, I don't have a basic level of understanding on the lights of these cars. I've been building N/A cars for 40 years. That is why complicated answers do nothing but confuse me. And I've read the Daniel Stern thread 3 times. If the fog bowls only handle 35W, then why are the H4s 55W? You see what I mean? Lots of people on here seem to forget that they weren't born with all this know-how. Everybody had a first day. Sorry if I troubled anyone.

Well, I don't see where I wasn't appreciative of all the input.

You don't think that the following is perhaps just a little insulting? a little backhanded?

Why can't anybody answer a question without sending me back to threads that I have to read through and still can't understand? It's like dealing with Sprint: "let me connect you to...". Jeez. Can someone just answer the question, please?

or

I do not understand why when I ask a simple question, like "what's 1+1"? the answers I get start by explaining trigonometry.

You don't see the petulant undertone at all, right??

---

Yes, I can understand your frustration.

And yes, we all had a first day, at some point or another - but you're trying to skip yours.

It doesn't matter if you're building non-force-fed cars - or a motorcycle, or even a go-cart or riding lawn mower - heck, there's even quite a bit of cross-over between handheld flashlights and automotive lighting. Simple lighting tech is simple lighting tech, and it doesn't really matter, at all, what you drive, to say the least of whether it's force-fed or not. Unfortunately, you're just not well-versed enough in the basics, period, which is why you need to do the background reading.

You're asking a "1+1" question, but when we tell you that you've got to backtrack to understand how you get to "=2," you don't want to hear it.

For example, along with your previous question of the "squirrel finders" and the "limits of the bowls," both of which would have been self-explanatory if you used the search engine to assist you with better understanding, you currently have a basic and fundamental split in your knowledge/understanding in that you're confusing incandescent with HID (for a basic level of understanding, this article by Daniel Stern is a very nice intro: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html - for now, I want you to skip the rhetoric debating the pros and cons of HID versus standard halogen incandescent lighting as well as the pros and cons of full-optics retrofit versus a plug-and-play HID kit, just focus on the basic knowledge of how different these two forms of lighting happens to be).

Our BL/BPs, regardless of MY, as long as it is USDM, use, from the factory, standard halogen incandescent lighting elements.

The wattage values and recommendations you've found here and on the Stern thread pertain to halogen incandescent replacement bulbs.

With HIDs, a 35W unit addresses the "output" of the ballast (with the other most common being either 50 or 55W units). The amount of light, as well as heat, generated by these units will be tremendously different from that of the halogen incandescents.

Yes, your halogen-incandescent H4s, the ones that your vehicle came with as its fog bulbs, are indeed 55W - and what many of us here are saying is that it would be OK to go with the 65W HIR1 "hi-lo" mod, as an incandescent replacement, or, alternatively, you should be OK with a 35W H4-based drop-in/plug-and-play ballast-ignitor-bulb HID kit (but that a 50 or 55W H4-HID may produce too much heat).

Here are some good resources for you:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/ - The Osram Sylvania replacement bulb guide. Be aware, however, that certain items may be incorrect (for example, their listing of "H3-55W" fog fitment for the 2008 BL/BP is incorrect), which illustrates why you should do your homework here, on LGT.com, and search for verification of your fitment/application; nevertheless, it remains a valuable resource.

http://faqlight.shopower.com/ - Automotive Lighting FAQ. If you read through all of this document, you'll more than enough knowledge and know-how. :)

None of us would ever try to lead another of our ranks - no matter how new to the community - on a wild goose-chase.

The reason why we cited those references we did was to help you help yourself - to give you the basic background necessary to understand why the decision that you made may not be optimal, as well as why the questions that you asked did not make sense.

We're trying to help you achieve your goal, not to defeat you or to bring you down.

Edited by TSi+WRX

@ blackturboblack: "Okay, is this the DDE Lightning Kit for Legacy you're recommending? Because I see mention of glue."

===

WHAT?!?! No way! These Apexcone DDE after-market HID's are *strictly* P-n-P. ZERO mods, no Dremel cuts, no glue - nothing! And no over-heating. You un-bayonet the old bulbs, re-bayonet the new ones, install the HID modules, snap-fit your OEM headlight connection and their wiring harness into the system as instructed ... and voila! You own the night!

Have you been *sniffing* glue? =:)

@ blackturboblack: "Okay, is this the DDE Lightning Kit for Legacy you're recommending? Because I see mention of glue."

===

WHAT?!?! No way! These Apexcone DDE after-market HID's are *strictly* P-n-P. ZERO mods, no Dremel cuts, no glue - nothing! And no over-heating. You un-bayonet the old bulbs, re-bayonet the new ones, install the HID modules, snap-fit your OEM headlight connection and their wiring harness into the system as instructed ... and voila! You own the night!

Have you been *sniffing* glue? =:)

That may be true for your application on an earlier-generation Legacy, SubieDoobieDoo, but it is not true for the BL/BP.

For the BL/BP, you'll have to somehow pass the wiring from the bulbs through the weathercover/dust-shield on the "inside" of the headlamp (and fog-lamps, if that's also desired) assembly.

For the low-beams, this procedure will require either that you take the time to fish the wiring through the existing harness grommet - which is a time-consuming and tedious task - or will require that you cut a hole *somewhere* in the weathercover/dust-shield (replacements/spares can be had from Subaru parts retailers for a very reasonable cost).

For the fogs, the procedure is a bit more involved, as the weathercover/dust-cover for the fog lamps on the BL/BP models are, themselves, used to terminate the connections from the main harness.