LegacyGT.com

2015 Mendocino Rally (July 17-19) Ukiah, CA

eastbaysubaru

2015 is upon us and with that comes the 2015 Mendocino Rally. The rally will take place July 17th through the 19th and is based in Ukiah, CA, roughly two hours north of San Francisco. The roads are amazing, the competition will be fierce, and the weather will be phenomenal!

http://www.mendocinorally.com/

This is the fifth year the rally will take place since its resurrection in 2011 and as always, we are in need of volunteers to help run the rally. Volunteers get closer to the action and get to interact directly with rally car drivers and co-drivers. As well, volunteers will be provided with lunch (both days) and a 2015 Mendocino Rally t-shirt for their efforts. You can sign up to volunteer at the following website:

http://www.rallydata.com/default.cfm

This is the closest performance rally to the Bay Area and is an absolute blast to work at as a volunteer. I'm sure some of the past (and future?!?!?) volunteers will chime in to confirm how much fun volunteering at the rally will be. Clear your calendar and come have an amazing time with a bunch of crazy rally people!

More information will be posted on the website as it is confirmed. I hope to see a ton of you Subie guys and gals out there!

-Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Can you let us know a little more about volunteering? What time would we have to show up in the morning, etc. I'm talking with some friends and we're seeing if we can drive up from Sacrmento the morning of or would prefer to go the night before and get a room. None of us have volunteered for something like this before.

How hard would it be to stick together? At least where one of us knows another person.

Everything gets going around 8:00am on Saturday. I think it'd be easier to get a room but if you're down for an early morning drive up to Ukiah you could certainly do so.

As for sticking together, it shouldn't be a problem at all (depending on how many people you can scrounge up to join you). When you sign up to volunteer, there's a place at the bottom of the sign up page to list people you'd like to work with. Barring a serious lack of volunteers, we should be able to put all of you together on one timing control and you'd be together all day.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope to see you and a bunch of your friends out there!

-Brian

Dang, I need get back into rallying.. Have rarely had time, but did some beginner winter rallies (where it was impossible to drive the speed limit) back 15 years ago and had a total blast.

OTOH, dirt rallying is a total unknown to me.. Worried about smashing up my DD though - snow is a little more forgiving than rocks :lol:

So want to do this. Just gotta convince the wife that we NEED to volunteer for this instead of taking our normal hiking trip to Tahoe that weekend.

OP, can you explain a little more what the volunteers will be doing? Will we be working multiple days or just Saturday?

You can hike in Tahoe ANY weekend. You can only volunteer at the ONLY performance rally in NorCal this particular weekend. Shouldn't take much convincing ;)

The majority of the volunteers will be working timing controls. These are located at the beginnings and ends of each of the rally stages. You will get a chance to work both Arrival Time Control (ATC) when the rally cars start a stage, and Finish Time Control (FTC) when the cars finish a stage because the stages are run forwards and backwards. As such, there is setup involved at the beginning of the day putting the various signs/clocks/equipment up, in the middle of the day switching from ATC to FTC (or vice versa), and then at the end of the day breaking down the signs/clocks/equipment.

The FTCs are fun because they are flying finishes where the rally cars are coming through the finish line at full speed.

I hope that helps shed some light on the volunteering duties. Let me know if you have any other questions (I've been volunteering/working at rallies for over a decade).

-Brian

You can hike in Tahoe ANY weekend. You can only volunteer at the ONLY performance rally in NorCal this particular weekend. Shouldn't take much convincing ;)

I know...I know. :lol: We have a place in Mendocino proper that we like to stay, so we could make it a long weekend and it would likely be something my wife would be up for adding to our weekend away.

It can get pretty hot up there in July. Do the timing volunteers get shade tents? Is it Saturday only?

Well, I usually suggest the timing controls try to locate an EZ-up or two to setup for some shade as yes, it can be crazy hot up there in July. I have two that I bring and depending on what I'm actually doing the days of the event, I may be able to lend one or both out to timing controls. Some of the timing control locations have decent shade as well.

This event is held on both Saturday and Sunday.

-Brian

When we're working those controls, do we have the opportunity to take pictures as the cars go by? I'd love to bring along my camrea equipment and hopefully not get hit by a rally car (unless very lightly with no real injuries so I have a cool story to tell).

Can you explain a little more? I have been involved in many types of motorsports in the past but rally is something new for me so I'm not familiar with how events are organized.

So this is all based out of Ukiah, correct? And then in the morning the volunteers head out on the rally course to get to the stage gate? Dirt roads or paved? how far from Ukiah are the stages? Is there a map available of the course?

I really really want to do this and I think I have convinced the wife that we will do the Tahoe trip in August some time.

Yes, it is based out of Ukiah. Saturday morning all of the volunteers get up and meet in the parking lot with their respective "group" members. Basically everyone who will be working the same timing control. We usually try to have 4-8 people working each control. The roads out to the stages/controls are paved for the most part. Some controls are located on dirt so that control group will need to drive on the stage(s) to get to their control location. The drive time on Saturday morning is roughly 1.5-2 hours each way to the stage locations. The drive time on Sunday morning is roughly 45 minutes to the stage locations. There is no map of the course posted yet but the stages are located on Walker Ridge Rd./Bartlett Springs Rd. (Saturday) and Cow Mountain Rd. (Sunday).

I hope that helps answer your questions and convince you that this is a fantastic use of your time. I know it's one of the best car-related experiences I have every year. That's why I've been doing this since the rally was resurrected in 2011. Plus, FREE RALLY T-SHIRTS!!!

-Brian

Ok, I'm going to volunteer, but can probably only do one day. Is there a recommended day I should come? Especially for that free Tshirt. I also noticed a lot of options during volunteer registration. Does it basically not matter what I click aside from the time/day?

http://i.snag.gy/eY3Mk.jpg

If you want to hang out after the rally for the award ceremony Sunday's your best bet if you can only manage one day. Either day will be great though. And yeah, selecting the day is the primary concern. We'll assign you to a group when we get closer to the event.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm really bummed, but I am not able to do this. Just too much going on this summer with our move, a long planned vacation, work and getting my son set up for quarter midget racing.

Brian, I really really want to do this so please make sure you post a thread next year. If there was a sign up sheet already I would have you put my name on it. Is there a date set for next year yet?

• 2 weeks later...

No dates set for next year. Honestly, it's tough putting these events on and part of that is due to lack of bodies (both volunteers and competitors). In that regard, the event is two and a half weeks away and we're still in need of more volunteers! Come on out and have a great time and help keep rallying alive in NorCal!

-Brian

• 3 weeks later...

A HUGE thank you to all of you who volunteered your time to support rally in NorCal!!! We cannot have awesome events like this without a HUGE number of volunteers. I hope to see you guys/gals out there again next year so we can continue to grow this event and make it even better!

-Brian

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived