LegacyGT.com

Charcoal Plasti-dip Grill?

citadel

I've got a Black on Black 15 Legacy Limited 2.5 and I'm thinking of dipping the front grill charcoal (leaving the chrome surround alone) and then putting a single charcoal pinstripe down the crease that runs mirror height from about the tailite to the front fender. I'm thinking charcoal is about the color painted on the wheels or at least very close. I'm also thinking about spraying gloss over the grill instead of the flat finish. Any thoughts? Has anyone worked with charcoal plastic-dip? Gloss? Any thoughts would be appreciated. DR

Thanks I guess I've never seen a base model at the dealership. Heck you lucky if they have 1 legacy for a test drive! On a second thought, is it difficult to remove the grill for painting? I'm anxious to get the work done but in michigan it has been too damn cold to do any painting in the garage.

Plastidip doesn't come in "charcoal", only anthracite and gun metal gray. It's easy enough to work with and cheap. If you don't like it, peel it off. I used black and then the glossifier over the "wing" in the center of my grille. It's not really glossy, its more of a satin finish.

I agree with Gteaser the black plastidip looks so much better with the glossifier. I use it on anything I plastidip black, just one coat of gloss does the trick. I recently just did my grille with it. (Had anthracite in the past, got bored with it, rocked the chrome for a little bit, then recently went with black) I was honestly just roaming the 6th gen forums to ask about the factory black grille. The dealership near my house has had 6th gens since the day they came out but it wasn't until just this week I started to see a bunch there with black grilles. I think the black grille looks so much better on the 6th gen. The grille is simply too large for the whole thing to be silver.

I plan on doing the grill as soon as the weather stays warmer. I did a comparison of colors by cutting and pasting from various internet sites as to the closest color gray that is on my Limited's wheels. I used Subaru's online brochure for my color and then the myryd of Plasti-dip Utubes of their colors. The charcoal gray seems to match perfectly (along with some gloss) or at least close enough that you won't notice the difference. A friend of mine will pinstripe it in charcoal. I'll put up pictures when I can.

I agree with Gteaser the black plastidip looks so much better with the glossifier. I use it on anything I plastidip black' date=' just one coat of gloss does the trick. I recently just did my grille with it. (Had anthracite in the past, got bored with it, rocked the chrome for a little bit, then recently went with black) I was honestly just roaming the 6th gen forums to ask about the factory black grille. The dealership near my house has had 6th gens since the day they came out but it wasn't until just this week I started to see a bunch there with black grilles. I think the black grille looks so much better on the 6th gen. The grille is simply too large for the whole thing to be silver.[/quote']

Base legacy models are coming with black grills from factory now? Pics?

Yeah, like I said, I had no idea until this week when I saw them at the dealership. I don't know if it's something that subaru just started doing with the base models or what. Kind of hard to believe that the dealership near me hasn't one base model until this week, and now all of a sudden there are about 5 of them out there with black grilles.

I would really like to put a JDM grill on the car but I can't justify $370 for the part.The installation doesn't look easy. Subaru could start stocking the part if they notice the price that the importer is selling them at. In the meantime my cans of charcoal arive this coming week.That should be enough differentiation from the base model for awhile till my lust for something different pops it's head up.

I would really like to put a JDM grill on the car but I can't justify $370 for the part.The installation doesn't look easy. Subaru could start stocking the part if they notice the price that the importer is selling them at. In the meantime my cans of charcoal arive this coming week.That should be enough differentiation from the base model for awhile till my lust for something different pops it's head up.

Agree. I like the jdm but can't swing it right now. I emailed SOA the other day asking about the possibility of black grills from subaru and he told me they don't offer them at all. Anywhere. Curious huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Just completed the installation of leds in the map, overhead and door lights. The biggest kick I got was putting 2 led panels in the trunk. I feel like putting a switch on them and putting the wife in the trunk so she can read on long trips. I just wish it would get warmer so I can plasti dip.(hope she doesn't read this)

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2227&pictureid=10339

Got the grill finally charcoal gray. Now I have to wait for the striping. The Plast-dip was the same color as my leather interior and very,very close to the wheel gray.

• 2 months later...
I've got a Black on Black 15 Legacy Limited 2.5 and I'm thinking of dipping the front grill charcoal (leaving the chrome surround alone) and then putting a single charcoal pinstripe down the crease that runs mirror height from about the tailite to the front fender. I'm thinking charcoal is about the color painted on the wheels or at least very close. I'm also thinking about spraying gloss over the grill instead of the flat finish. Any thoughts? Has anyone worked with charcoal plastic-dip? Gloss? Any thoughts would be appreciated. DR

One of my friends has a 2015 Outback that he plasti dipped the front grill (spray type). It looks good (not good enough to do it to my Legacy, but..). The nice thing is if you get tired of it or don't like the way it looks, you can just peel it off.

Randy

Archived