LegacyGT.com

Soba noodle's 06 JDM 3.0R BLE

soba noodle

Big day today - it's Brembo day!

I am slowly improving my skills: suspension jobs - tick, ICE - tick, plugs - tick, full brake swap - tick.

Took me a bit of time to do the whole swap, including the lines.

The kit I got includes:

1. Brembo 4 pot front calipers
  2. Brembo 2 pot rear calipers
  3. Adapters for the rear calipers
  4. Brembo front and rear rotors
  5. 170mm insert drums for the rear rotors (don't have to modify anything and can run 190mm drum STI rotors ;))
  6. Dixcel M type pads front/rear

Decided to upgrade to braided brake lines and after a bit of research got myself a 6pc set from Safebrake (Australia) - awesome quality and OEM fitment without any mods required, came with retainers, banjo bolts and copper washers. Most importantly these are LVVTA ok so no issues with warrant of fitness inspections and no certification required (wouldn't say the same about two pot rear adapters though :/)

Brake fluid: Motul 600

I knew Prodrives were Brembo friendly, no suprises there. Cleared the front calipers by a few mills only - looks like they were specifically designed to clear Brembos judging by the inner curves of the spokes, follow the contours of the calipers.

Crappy pics as it was getting dark (it's winter here in Aotearoa).

Fronts + Rears with adapters + Braided brake lines:

18549587349_be778e5a4c_o.jpg

Rear rotors with 170mm adapter drums:

18735799135_73409247b9_o.jpg

18549601829_f5a9ec976d_o.jpg

Did rears first, read that many needed to grind the knuckles a bit for the adapters to clear - didn't have to do that at all, straight bolt-on. Not sure who manufactured the adapters but thank you for that!

18548055410_b08a24ac09_o.jpg

The fronts are much easier and faster to get done:

18113128074_122ec3612e_o.jpg

All done!

18735793095_82f299abae_o.jpg

18548058720_fd996c1d8f_o.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh damn you. With all my tyre choosing delays you beat me to getting a set put on.

Perfect condition from the looks of it too, still wanting to paint mine for something a bit different to the subaru norm, and to cover the odd scratches/chips. Where'd you get those inserts from? Never seen anything like that before

Edited by Andy_Mac

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Ahh damn you. With all my tyre choosing delays you beat me to getting a set put on.

Perfect condition from the looks of it too, still wanting to paint mine for something a bit different to the subaru norm, and to cover the odd scratches/chips. Where'd you get those inserts from? Never seen anything like that before

Did you decide what size you're going with? I'll be a bit jelly if you get RE003, those look pretty sexy. I ended up with my almost new set of RE002 sitting as spares since Prodrives came on decent S001s, contemplating whether I should run S001 till they die (won't happen anytime soon), chuck RE001 on and sell S001 or sell RE002 and later upgrade to RE003. First world problems :lol:

Calipers do have a few scuffs here and there (usual spots), don't bother me that much, and I couldn't be bothered (nor patient enough) to do a respray, too much PITA. Inserts came with the kit, it was on a Legacy before - perfect bolt-on fitment and nothing to worry about (well apart from a failed WOF due to rear caliper adapters). I have a suspicion that someone machined a stock 170mm to do the trick, bloody well done and thank you for that!

What rear rotors does you set-up have?

Yea, going 235/40/18. Might as well make the most of the wider wheels, along with some rear camber bushings just incase its a little tight. And definately going with the RE003's, no point getting a new set without trying out Bridgestone's latest creation.

You find it in NZ or was it from a jap auction site?

That inserts an interesting way of doing the conversion, how thick is it where it mounts to the studs? If its anything like a standard rotor thats an extra 7-8mm you'd lose in fender clearance, good thing you went with those sweet 7.5inch rims rather than a low offset 8inch

Mine came with original Brembo branded 316x20 ones with 5x100 and 190mm handbrake. Using the tbSTI backing plates gives it the larger handbrake assembly aswell.

I don't think the inserts add any thickness at all - otherwise the rotor won't sit properly and fit inside the caliper?.. Good point though. I read a few people in Russia did a similar thing with some machined rings pressed into 190 drums.

Found the kit locally, have a suspicion it came from Japan on an imported car and was removed by a dealer.

I don't think the inserts add any thickness at all - otherwise the rotor won't sit properly and fit inside the caliper?.. Good point though. I read a few people in Russia did a similar thing with some machined rings pressed into 190 drums.

I was wondering how caliper would still sit centred with the rotor. Can't quite see how it wouldn't move the rotor out though since its sitting on the studs below the rotor. Unless they machined the rotor to be that much thinner.

Seems to work either way so a damn good find. Keeps the rotor option open unlike most of the conversions which need those specialized DBA rotors

I was wondering how caliper would still sit centred with the rotor. Can't quite see how it wouldn't move the rotor out though since its sitting on the studs below the rotor. Unless they machined the rotor to be that much thinner.

Seems to work either way so a damn good find. Keeps the rotor option open unlike most of the conversions which need those specialized DBA rotors

Damn should've investigated/snapped some more pics before I chucked them on, now you made me thinking :lol: Wouldn't gain much if they made the rotors thinner. What does a 190mm looks like from the inside? Are yours still off?

At the rate i'm going it'll still be a month or so before they make any kind of movement towards the car.

Looks pretty much the same as yours i reckon.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/andy_mac1/64C1C334-C045-462A-B8B3-8A22A7E02ECB_zpscglksbv6.jpg

Was thinking more along the lines of maybe taking some off the rotor hat part on both pieces.

Thank you for the pics, agree mine look very much the same. Found a few more crappy pics. Doesn't look like original rotors were modified, the inserts are only a few mm thick, making my offset at the rear something like 45-46?

18765513755_44dcd87073_o.jpg

18144827343_0c682c4013_o.jpg

PS: is that a brembo logo in a small circle (stamped on the insert)?

PPS: didn't really notice that the studs looked noticeably shorter.

Do they look centred on the caliper?

You talking about the one near the top left in the last pic?

Definately not brembo. Its a logo a lot of subaru parts have stamped on them, not exactly sure what it stands for though. The rear trailing arms i've got sitting around have it aswell as the spare map light/glasses holder piece.

Edit: It appears to be the Fuji Heavy Industries logo

Edited by Andy_Mac

Looks perfectly centered to me (which disapproves my offset theory above, otherwise wouldn't, right?)

http://i.imgur.com/PsjYNuo.jpg

Are 190 drums/hats higher(wider) than 170? Don't have mine to compare, stored at a different place, but 190 looks pretty wide to me :confused:

I guess I'll know for sure if the 190 rotors were modified or not if I decide to upgrade them (imho would've been pretty dumb (and expensive) to do so much work and then do it again when time comes to replace the rotors :redface:).

You talking about the one near the top left in the last pic?

Definately not brembo. Its a logo a lot of subaru parts have stamped on them, not exactly sure what it stands for though. The rear trailing arms i've got sitting around have it aswell as the spare map light/glasses holder piece.

Edit: It appears to be the Fuji Heavy Industries logo

Yeah that logo, just remember seeing it somewhere.

FHI means inserts were made up from stock rotors, perhaps? Or some other FHI rotors..

Did you get the adaptors with them or were they separate?

Do you mean deeper? the 190mm ones are quite alot larger diameter wise than the 170mm for the hat area. But on the stock rotors even the outer diameter is in the 17x area, had to try measure it through my rims so wasn't all that accurate, so wouldn't fit as snug to the inside of the 190mm ones you have.

Could be some jap tuning house low volume thing similar to the custom backing plates rosssub has for all we know.

Adapters came with the kit. All the bits and pieces apart from the lines, that's why I jumped on it - didn't have to hunt for anything.

Those FLATT Div. backing plates were supposed to go on my BH5 but then I decided to upgrade and sold them to someone on CS, then Ross got them.

That was a bloody awesome find

You might find they are custom ones that are wider to compensate for the inserts offset. They atleast look different to all the other ones i've ever seen online.

One more thing. Have you done anything about a spare wheel? Assuming your set didn't come with 5. Won't be able to really check till my sets on but highly doubt a silly little space saver will fit past brembo's

Did the wheels and camber bushings yesterday so thats a start atleast. Was gonna try see whether the space saver would fit but the bushings ended up being a pig to install so in my rage i forgot to try it out before i put everything back together.

Yea v7 spare had crossed my mind or just find a compatible steelie from somewhere local

Some mufflers arrived today. Had a few spare minutes today and chucked them on the car.

Trust/Greddy RS (Racing Sport)

19053306206_351b514229_o.jpg

Surprised how perfect the fitment is, probably one of the best I've seen, well done Greddy! The quality is there too, very neat welding. Shame the style is not something I am fond of, the sound is pretty awesome however - deep and loud, noticeably louder than HKS. I wonder if the wife will notice any extra dB :scratch:

19079557215_46cb708599_o.jpg

Edited by soba noodle

Rear suspension upgrades:

• Lower Arm Bar Version II Rear 684 478 A
  • STI Pillowball Rear Lateral Arms ST2029021000

Before:

19054731851_0cd02f4663_o.jpg

684 478 A and ST2029021000 (correct for facelift models with auto headlight leveling)

18430898943_498a61a517_o.jpg

19046000092_b21c74505e_o.jpg

The actual arms are the same as stock, the bushings are different

18863900378_c779f431fe_o.jpg

18863903728_1af3450226_o.jpg

Install in progress

18863916688_50d793b737_o.jpg

18863906158_fda38d0aa1_o.jpg

19025351356_c07e70c527_o.jpg

18429058144_bbbf322b78_o.jpg

19054759241_ab642db9d5_o.jpg

Done!