LegacyGT.com

Just another misfire/rough idle thread...

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he mentioned like a quart every 1300 miles :(
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

i think he mentioned like a quart every 1300 miles :(

It consumes basically no oil.

I'll go back and correct post #1.

At first I though it was using a quart every 1500 miles because about 1500 miles post-purchase I added a quart. Since then I haven't had to add a drop. Even after losing a small amount of oil during my valve adjustment the overall level stayed at the high.

It consumes basically no oil.

I'll go back and correct post #1.

At first I though it was using a quart every 1500 miles because about 1500 miles post-purchase I added a quart. Since then I haven't had to add a drop. Even after losing a small amount of oil during my valve adjustment the overall level stayed at the high.

:iam:

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I see. Then I would recheck the usual suspects once again (plug, coil, inj). If all clear, then redo leakdown/compression. And maybe borescope.

On a 'sad' note, I have noticed a few guys over here who did have cracked ringland and still were not consuming significant amount of oil...

Edited by xt2005bonbon

On a 'sad' note, I have noticed a few guys over here who did have cracked ringland and still were not consuming significant amount of oil...

^I was one of those few. Cracked ringland on 4, and it consumed maybe 3/4 quart every 2000 miles, and that's including the PCV and oil cooler leaks I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I swapped the wires, the car didn't turn on, I tried twice and read the codes, no change p0303 and p0304, discovered an oil leak under the car not sure from the where that oil is dripping but it is around the oil filter towerds tires...otherwise the engine bay from up iis clean....

My clinder #2.

The 90° attachment for my new borescope doesn't work well enough to see the cylinder wall. Despite that the camera is still easily worth the $20. It works great with my OTG cable on the two android devices i tried, and the free CameraFi app is excellent.

Edited by StkmltS

Any thoughts about the appearance of my cylinder #2?

I drove the car about 630 miles since Monday (trip to Pittsburgh) and about 100 miles into the trip the car developed a loud boost leak. If you listen very closely you can hear it hissing at >0 psi, and anything over 5 psi makes a super loud "pssssweeeee" sound. I just stayed out of boost the whole time and hoped nothing popped (it didn't). I didn't get one single CEL the whole trip, which was very surprising and fortunate because I forgot to bring my bluetooth OBD adapter and my OTG adapter. 600+ miles without cruise control would have sucked.

I haven't found the leak yet but I'm pretty excited because it's another potential fix that's less time/money than #Inansb. I know I'm grasping at straws, but a guy's gotta have dreams.

Here's my fun LV from this morning.

BtSsm_LV_20150724_0705.png.f51b1794519d91b1d9c9185873fedce2.png

Edited by StkmltS

wow, your missing cylinder came back? awesome news! did you do anything else to it, or did it just come back? I'll bet your valve clearance adjustment did it, maybe it didn't come back right away because there was a little carbon buildup between the valve and seat, and it got hammered away eventually?

looks like (and sounds like) now you just have a classic post-turbo boost leak. the lean low load cells, and the rich high load cell, and the whistling noise all point to that. are you running the stock tmic? maybe it's separating at the end tank (is the tmic oily near the turbo outlet?). Or perhaps the throttle body hose isn't sealing?

Yeah, do check the throttle body hose. It is notorious to come apart after a while. See here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pegged-negative-af-learning-all-ranges-no-knock-iam-1-225843.html

Although I would note that when it happened to me, all values were getting negative, probably because the leak was very obvious in my case.

wow, your missing cylinder came back? awesome news! did you do anything else to it, or did it just come back? I'll bet your valve clearance adjustment did it, maybe it didn't come back right away because there was a little carbon buildup between the valve and seat, and it got hammered away eventually?

looks like (and sounds like) now you just have a classic post-turbo boost leak. the lean low load cells, and the rich high load cell, and the whistling noise all point to that. are you running the stock tmic? maybe it's separating at the end tank (is the tmic oily near the turbo outlet?). Or perhaps the throttle body hose isn't sealing?

I don't think it came back [fixed] because you can still hear and feel it misfiring. I guess the valve job and several hundred miles of steady highway driving was enough to clean things up a bit and keep the CEL from coming on. My misfire and low idle problems are still very much present.

Yes I have the stock TMIC.

Yeah, do check the throttle body hose. It is notorious to come apart after a while. See here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pegged-negative-af-learning-all-ranges-no-knock-iam-1-225843.html

Although I would note that when it happened to me, all values were getting negative, probably because the leak was very obvious in my case.

Bummer, it was only a lose hose clamp on the throttle body hose. Maybe I didn't tighten it all the way when I put thinks back together after adjusting my valves. Back to the drawing board.

Despite the motor issues I've been dealing with I must admit... after a wash, clay bar, and wax, it's a treat having a 10-year old car that looks this good.

20150725_133425.thumb.jpg.89593c71a19aa9244cbca20d4a7fcdbf.jpg