LegacyGT.com

Intake/Vacuum Leaks and YOU! PICS INSIDE

cryo

Any ideas what's leaking here?

http://i.imgur.com/svMdtQd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U3dERkx.jpg

Had the car smoke tested this morning, there was a lot coming out from below the passenger side of the intake manifold near the turbo inlet.. We couldn't see where it was coming from, but it was before the BOV recerc tube but after the BCS. Looking under there with a flashlight didn't show anything obvious, just a crap load of smoke.

I'm not the most familure with this area of the intake so I'm not sure if this is something I can fix from the front or if I'll have to take the manifold off. Tech at the shop (firestone) wasn't sure ether.

Edit: it was the head ventilation line. Fixed this and the fuel trims went from -6% to +6%. More stuff to be found!

IMG_9858.thumb.JPG.88b8cf227afcff92c8dcf6689430fbfa.JPG

Edited by utc_pyro
Found it!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Trying to smoke test through the small hose on the bov but can't get it to build pressure. All pressure goes directly into the crankcase and out the oil fill. Using very low pressure (2-3lbs). Also can blow into it manually and there is almost no resistance. Am I doing something wrong?

Trying to smoke test through the small hose on the bov but can't get it to build pressure. All pressure goes directly into the crankcase and out the oil fill. Using very low pressure (2-3lbs). Also can blow into it manually and there is almost no resistance. Am I doing something wrong?

You need to cap your intake.

Any ideas what's leaking here?

http://i.imgur.com/svMdtQd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U3dERkx.jpg

Had the car smoke tested this morning, there was a lot coming out from below the passenger side of the intake manifold near the turbo inlet.. We couldn't see where it was coming from, but it was before the BOV recerc tube but after the BCS. Looking under there with a flashlight didn't show anything obvious, just a crap load of smoke.

I'm not the most familure with this area of the intake so I'm not sure if this is something I can fix from the front or if I'll have to take the manifold off. Tech at the shop (firestone) wasn't sure ether.

Edit: it was the head ventilation line. Fixed this and the fuel trims went from -6% to +6%. More stuff to be found!

You need to check each vacuum connection under the intake manifold. Also found a few on the lower connections including the front side vacuum hoses there too. Thought I was looking at my engine bay for a second but don't have the stock TMI and no gold film [emoji23]

I would recommend zip tying each hose (I did this) and changing any hoses you cannot squeeze or collapse with your finger when it's disconnected.

You need to cap your intake.

Did that! Smoke poring out the oil fill tube like a steam engine (removed oil fill cap before testing). I removed the cap on the intake and some smoke was reaching, but 90% was still coming out of the oil fill.

Did that! Smoke poring out the oil fill tube like a steam engine (removed oil fill cap before testing). I removed the cap on the intake and some smoke was reaching, but 90% was still coming out of the oil fill.

I'm not familiar with your engine. What mods do you have?

09 spec.b with Cobb down pipe and tmic.

Wait. You said earlier that you were smoking through the BOV port and not through the intake?

When I ran my smoker it was through the intake.

If I BLOW with my lungs through the BOV line I cap my intake.

Billowing through the oil stick or fill?

Wait. You said earlier that you were smoking through the BOV port and not through the intake?

When I ran my smoker it was through the intake.

If I BLOW with my lungs through the BOV line I cap my intake.

Billowing through the oil stick or fill?

I'm running the smoker through bov and with the intake capped, with the oil filler cap removed.

If I BLOW with my lungs through the BOV line and my intake capped, air freely goes out the crankcase/oil fill.

I'm running the smoker through bov and with the intake capped, with the oil filler cap removed.

If I BLOW with my lungs through the BOV line and my intake capped, air freely goes out the crankcase/oil fill.

I think I'm following. Pressure builds for mine. Are all your vacuum lines stock routing?

Hmm. I didn't remove my oil fill though when testing. Maybe that's the difference

When was the last time you changed the pcv valve? Maybe it's stuck open allowing more air than normal into the crankcase.

When I replaced mine, it was stuck open and I had lots of oil residue in my intake due to that

When was the last time you changed the pcv valve? Maybe it's stuck open allowing more air than normal into the crankcase.

When I replaced mine, it was stuck open and I had lots of oil residue in my intake due to that

Thanks! Makes sense and was thinking of checking the pcv. I've never checked and currently at 77k miles. Will give that a try.

Good luck, it's not an easy job. Grab some worm clamps to replace the OEM clamps that are almost impossible to reuse

Yeah, and looks like less info available on the later model gen 4s too. Fun!

Here's a few resources ;)

1. Always search the forum by using google like this and you'll always get better results.

site:legacygt.com *search term*

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95003

This helped me wrap my head around the vacuum/boost concept and routing

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/146699-official-sti-engine-venting-o-separators-catch-cans-thread.html

• 1 month later...
Question for you guys - people say it's fine to do a boost leak test by pressurizing the inlet, and that their cars hold 20 psi when pressurized this way. I tried the method hunting a misfire, and found a leak somewhere around the boost control solenoid. Wouldn't even hold 5 psi. Smoked it to confirm location. However, when spraying the region with MAF cleaner with the engine running, no discernable change in idle. Is it really a leak, or am i just causing a vacuum connection to leak by reverse pressurizing it during test?

• 2 weeks later...
Question for you guys - people say it's fine to do a boost leak test by pressurizing the inlet, and that their cars hold 20 psi when pressurized this way. I tried the method hunting a misfire, and found a leak somewhere around the boost control solenoid. Wouldn't even hold 5 psi. Smoked it to confirm location. However, when spraying the region with MAF cleaner with the engine running, no discernable change in idle. Is it really a leak, or am i just causing a vacuum connection to leak by reverse pressurizing it during test?

Yes. Still a leak. You may not get a change in idle even when spraying certain areas. I would suggest taking that area apart and securing all vacuum lines. I did the same. Mine came from the inlet to hose connections in that area. Some were hard and not sealing. No change in idle either when spraying like you did. Smoke testing shows where a small leak is and that's the point.

• 1 month later...

gracias, por el aporte, tengo problemas con mi subby 05 gt, cuando el turbo infla se esucha una fuga ya busque por todos lados y lleve a revisar el intercooler pero solo se redujo el sonido, de que manera puedo corroborar una fuga de boost

Edit: Google Translation = Thanks, for the contribution, I have problems with my subby 05 gt, when the turbo inflates is exhausted a leak and look everywhere and take to check the intercooler but only the sound is reduced, how can I corroborate a boost leak

Edited by SBT
Translation

• 9 months later...
Thank you for the post. I have a 05 Legacy GT that has a leak somewhere that I cannot find. I got a code P01701 that is tell me I have a leak . I change the PCV valve clean the mass airflow sensor and still I have the check engine light on with the cruise control flashing. I will look over the engine again to see if any of these hoses Damaged.

Anyone know where to get the plastic hose that tends to leak? Im having a screeching sound under boost and I see an oily substance on that area ( the tube circled in yellow)

a3cb8ac04ef9f036b65b8519e48c63ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

it's got a 90 bend in it right where it hooks to the manifold. but could take it out under the TMIC (if you used a straight hose).

i'd almost suspect that the BPV to BPV-inlet hose (or some other seal) is blowing oil onto that tube though.

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *