LegacyGT.com

Intake/Vacuum Leaks and YOU! PICS INSIDE

cryo

Have an issue that I've had from the first day I bought the car. After letting off throttle I hear a slight 'whistle'. Thought it might be my oem bpv just being old and squeaking but it sounds like it's more from the passenger side. Not sure how else I can diagnose it since it only happens under boost (afterwards) but it doesn't happen all the time. Any suggestions?

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

Bullet proof, epoxy it up or time for a new one. :(

I was thinking the same thing but the RTV has to be high temp or something. I'm thinking about doing the BP mod as well before I invest on an upgraded intercooler.

I just used a paint can at the turbo inlet and tightened down the hose clamp. removed the feeding line from the bov/bpv and blew into it. heard the leak immediately and ended up using soapy water to validate its location on the intercooler. I posted.

here's a quick video of the leak found:

https://vimeo.com/165609538

just to clarify... the smoke test is to identify vacuum leaks in the entire system? if i probe through the turbo inlet it'll go up to the throttle body. but if I cannot open the throttle body due to it being DBW how will it test the intake manifold? is there another area we can use to do that? I'd imagine that if we can crack open or stick open the throttle body without starting it like a DBC car it would help a bunch more right?

I need to still create this smoker so i'm building supplies right now. I believe home depot, lowe's and hardware hawaii are the most common places we have on island. we had a few Ace hardwares but i believe they closed and we have City Mill too. I'll see what I can find. empty paint can seems accessible but I'll need to check.

Over thinking it. You can pressure test through the inlet and also the smaller line coming off the BPV. Some people recommend capping the vac lines off the inlet, but you are wanting to see if any of those are leaking as well, so I wouldn't bother. I've found my leaky intake manifold gaskets using this method.

Over thinking it. You can pressure test through the inlet and also the smaller line coming off the BPV. Some people recommend capping the vac lines off the inlet, but you are wanting to see if any of those are leaking as well, so I wouldn't bother. I've found my leaky intake manifold gaskets using this method.

well, i'm trying to not open the system to test different things assisting the smoke getting through is what i'm after.

the throttle body is never completly closed, on any car i've ever had/worked on. there's always a little passage past the butterfly. should smoke test fine with reasonable pressure.

it should be shut if the car is off. if you turn the key on, my understanding is for idle purposes it will open slightly. i was told earlier that you should be able to insert the key into the ignition then turn it to the on position and then mash down the gas pedal. that should open the throttle.

Looks good! Dumb question on my end, what are those connectors going to connect to? I had some come in the kit I got, but nothing to attach too. I assume quick release?

yeah, looks like air compressor quick release male parts, i assume to quickly add in-line in your air compressor setup. would assume that one needs to be female though...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

yeah, looks like air compressor quick release male parts, i assume to quickly add in-line in your air compressor setup. would assume that one needs to be female though...

I had these readily available at home so I'm gonna use a quick release on one side going to the compressor line and then have a quick release female on the other side for the hose I'll use for the smoke to come out of.

so I tested the smoker early evening and I think I made my paper wad too big causing it to burn too hot and melt/caramelize my hose [emoji23] causing the hose to collapse and eventually pop the top of the can right after this video.

I think my compressor flows too much air due to my pneumatic tool requirements and I've set it as low as possible [emoji23]

https://vimeo.com/166408917

hopefully this weekend i'll actually get to test with it! I made this video a few days ago.

oh! i also forgot to post these. I made by news paper wad a lot smaller and only let it burn for a little bit. set my regulator right before it starts bleeding out of the valve and turn it a quarter turn LOL. it's not bad and I was able to find a few leaks. unfortunately didn't get the best one of the GFB BOV leaking through the valve! shit. anyway... here's a few of the smoker in action

https://vimeo.com/166659205

https://vimeo.com/166659231

I bought a cheap digital air regulator at harbor freight because even my tiny 1.5 gallon compressor can't go low enough. I think the regulator was only $10 or so after the 20% off coupon.

i've only successfully bought something from HF once. they're ungodly expensive to ship to me here in Hawaii LOL. but i'll look into that regulator.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just noticed this finally made it as a sticky. We started offering smoke test included in the price of every dyno tune at the shop quite a while back as this is one of the best things you can do for your car prior to a calibration. As these cars age they develop cracked vacation lines,intercoolers etc which play havoc on maf based fueling systems. Glad people are still finding this post useful!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 1 month later...