LegacyGT.com

suspension and exhaust mods for outback xt

Hi all, Im going from my Forester XT limited into a 06 outback xt limited.

My Fozy was running a mix of sti and wrx suspension and exhaust but moving into the outback I'm tyring to figure out what from the legacy gt transfers over.

Im assuming most parts will but looking for some affirmation.

Im looking at lowering it for now with some spec b springs, curious if these will bolt on to the existing outback struts. I can get all 4 for 120 bucks, which should give an outback a nice drop till i can drop money on coil overs. As far as exhaust I'm having a hard time locating aftermarket up/down and catback exhaust.

Does anyone know if these are a direct fit over to the outback? I would imagine

that the up and down pipes would i just don't know about the cat back.

Thanks everyone

try a little harder. Engine/exhaust are identical between lgt/outback XT (assuming you're comparing the same years for each, i.e. 06 OBXT to 06 LGT) So any UP/DP that fits a GT will fit an XT.

SpecB springs will not go on OB shocks. You noticed the OB is significantly higher than a legacy right?? The shocks are longer on the OB. At minimum you'd need spec b shocks, springs,and top hats. But I believe to do it the right way you'd need specb drive shaft and other suspension structural bits. I was considering it on mine until I saw what was involved to do it properly and passed.

Only aware of one OBXT specific catback/axle back and its made by Nameless.

All that said, a good rule of thumb when picking up a used car... **maintenance over mods**

Thanks red. I have been reading the official lowered outback thread.

I saw where a user had a parts list breakdown for all the required legacy parts.

I have to be honest I'm not sure lowering a outback 3 inches requires a new driveshaft control arms etcetera. I think I'll do struts mounts and springs trim the bump stops and align it at work. Thanks for the input on this. I assumed most exhaust bits were the same, just wasn't sure on suspension components. And I agree as far as maintenance, luckily for me I have a Subaru shop at my disposal since I'm there 50 hours a week anyway

First order of business will be to remove the banjo bolt fittings and replace the oil feed line screens and do a motor flush

pretty much the only differences in the cbe exhausts is that you have to weld turndowns on the mufflers (depending on the type you get) since the rear bumper cover has no cutouts for the tips really. check out page 6. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/finally-got-my-obxt-213860.html

The only outback specific exhausts are from nameless performance and another from AVO turbo world but both have very long build times for them.

Most of us who are lowered on Outbacks did not do the full Legacy GT swap. Legacy GT struts (OEM, Koni, Bilsten), the correct top hats, Legacy Springs (OEM or lowering) the Legacy Rear UCA, and Legacy Bumpstops are basically all that's needed.

You don't even need to do Legacy Rear UCAs unless you find yourself on the bump stops too often,

• Moderators
try a little harder. Engine/exhaust are identical between lgt/outback XT (assuming you're comparing the same years for each, i.e. 06 OBXT to 06 LGT) So any UP/DP that fits a GT will fit an XT.

SpecB springs will not go on OB shocks. You noticed the OB is significantly higher than a legacy right?? The shocks are longer on the OB. At minimum you'd need spec b shocks, springs,and top hats. But I believe to do it the right way you'd need specb drive shaft and other suspension structural bits. I was considering it on mine until I saw what was involved to do it properly and passed.

Only aware of one OBXT specific catback/axle back and its made by Nameless.

All that said, a good rule of thumb when picking up a used car... **maintenance over mods**

A new driveshaft? For as much as you've been through your car (IIRC), this is a ridiculous statement. A spec.b driveshaft would be used for a 6mt swap and that's it.

Most of us who are lowered on Outbacks did not do the full Legacy GT swap. Legacy GT struts (OEM, Koni, Bilsten), the correct top hats, Legacy Springs (OEM or lowering) the Legacy Rear UCA, and Legacy Bumpstops are basically all that's needed.

You don't even need to do Legacy Rear UCAs unless you find yourself on the bump stops too often,

OB2.5XT has it right. No *real* need to do all of the LGT subframe spacer stuff. Rear upper control arms and rear bump stops will add a good bit of usable travel in the rear, other than that you're pretty much good to go. A whiteline roll center / bump steer kit is a good idea up front, and if you want to get serious about your alignments and Whiteline KTA124 kit in the rear is great for dialing in toe / camber.

Replacement front top hats will likely be needed, but rears should be the same I believe.

If you want to go a bit lower AND get a bit of a performance gain, keep you stock OBXT springs and put them on a set of LGT struts (this will likely age the struts faster, be aware). Better yet, take the front LGT housings and go with a set of LGT-spec konis front / rear with the stock OBXT springs. You see a reasonable drop from stock OBXT height and a great performance return between the aftermarket (and adjustable) struts and the OBXT springs that will now be slightly preloaded and more responsive.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks OB and barman. I've been hearing about stock housings with koni inserts. I'm a little lost on that how am I installing a adjustable koni tube in the stock housing?

And I thought going with the legacy gt springs would be lower than OB XT springs?

Is it possible to run legacy coil overs on an outback as well?

A new driveshaft? For as much as you've been through your car (IIRC), this is a ridiculous statement. A spec.b driveshaft would be used for a 6mt swap and that's it.

My bad. the driveshafts between lagacy and outback are different so I figured it would need to be swapped to if doing the "full" swap. Or maybe the difference is between sedan and wagon? whichever, good to know you can just do struts/springs/mounts and be just fine! Sounds like OP has a good plan in place

• Moderators

Re: driveshafts--> 6mt and 4eat driveshafts are the same; obxt driveshafts have a slightly different carrier bearing than LGT / 2.5i driveshafts, but should be transferrable anyway (i have a 4eat legacy driveshaft on my OBXT with a 6mt). Not sure about 5eat vs 5mt driveshafts.

OP: it is absolutely possible to run LGT-spec coilovers on an OBXT. See my build thread :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 1 year later...

I have to be honest I'm not sure lowering a outback 3 inches requires a new driveshaft control arms etcetera. I think I'll do struts mounts and springs trim the bump stops and align it at work. Thanks for the input on this. I assumed most exhaust bits were the same, just wasn't sure on suspension components. And I agree as far as maintenance, luckily for me I have a Subaru shop at my disposal since I'm there 50 hours a week anyway ��

First order of business will be to remove the banjo bolt fittings and replace the oil feed line screens and do a motor flush

Uhhhhh forget the flush just make sure the motor has steel head gaskets, a fresh timing belt and new cog pulley. Change oil put gas in it drive it.

Plenty of people who dropped their OB 3" are still riding on the OB driveshaft seemingly no issues. Do you need to replace the rear trailing arm? Well no, your rear wheels won't sit centered in the wheel well but it's not strictly necessary. You might get away with the OB banana links and cut bump stops. It's the "etcetera" that you're brushing that needs your attention. You do want to remove your rear subframe spacers (just flip them under to reuse the ob bolts), swap the ob steering knuckle(u-joint) for the legacy one, etcetera. All the info you need is here on this site probably in triplicate also if you work at a Subaru shop you should not be deterred from doing a 3" outback drop you have access to everything you need... You don't have to do the full LGT conversion to ride comfortably at 3" lower just do what others have done...

P.S. switch to lgt tire size probably a nice move too unless you want modify your fender wells... and for godsakes get yourself adjustable camber kits front and rear so you don't end up lost in the jungle of wild geometry...

Archived