LegacyGT.com

Fog Lights - Useless

Having had to drive through real fog the other night, I hereby declare the fog lights totally useless. Not because of low power, etc. but because they are linked to the low beam circuit.

In a real fog, the low beams just reflect back and the fog lights do nothing for you because of all the glare from the low beams.

Whoever came up with this setup has obviously never actually driven in fog. So my question is, how do I make them work independently of the low beam circuit? The Vette allows me to drive with the fogs on, as long as the marker lights are on, and I am not on high beam - that is what I would like to achieve, as it is perfectly legal.

Or just make that circuit totally independent. For my annual inspection, no one has ever tested the fogs, so though illegal, I could live with it.

Having had to drive through real fog the other night, I hereby declare the fog lights totally useless. Not because of low power, etc. but because they are linked to the low beam circuit.

In a real fog, the low beams just reflect back and the fog lights do nothing for you because of all the glare from the low beams.

Whoever came up with this setup has obviously never actually driven in fog. So my question is, how do I make them work independently of the low beam circuit? The Vette allows me to drive with the fogs on, as long as the marker lights are on, and I am not on high beam - that is what I would like to achieve, as it is perfectly legal.

Or just make that circuit totally independent. For my annual inspection, no one has ever tested the fogs, so though illegal, I could live with it.

I've driven in lots of fog and snow and I can tell you high beams are a problem with reflection. Running fog lights alone might give you that gangsta look, but will neither provide sufficient illumination nor give approaching drivers fair warning they are coming up on you.

You missed my point - it's not just the high beams reflecting - the low beams reflect too much in heavy fog too. I am not talking about "mist" or light fog, I am talking about running into a wall of the white stuff where your visibility is at best 10-20 feet, which I did on the way home recently.

BTW, I have no interest in a "gangsta" look (whatever that is, I am sure a LGT Wagon is not it), I just want to be able to see the sides of the road. Too much to ask?

The "fog lights only" setting works OK in my Vette in heavy fog. On the Legacy, the fogs are totally useless under those conditions.

I guess sometimes your just screwed and have to feel you way along the road. Had to slow to a crawl recently in an unusually warm night where thick fog rolled across the road from the snow on the fields. I wonder if red lows/fogs lights would be better!

On my EDM Legacy I can use just the fog lights by switching the main light switch in the middle position ('marking lights').

Just yesterday I was driving in a blizzard and tried it out and I think you'll find them even more useless on their own.

I ended up adjusting the main bean down and it was much better.

Archived