LegacyGT.com

Strut replacement w/ 2 spring compressors - Advice please

I'm having a hard time using the AutoZone loan-a-tool spring compressors. I think my springs are too short to be used by the tool (I have a Legacy L)

I can get one side to fit around 3 coils, but the other side only will fit around 2.

Anyone who has done this have any bits of advice for me?

EDIT. Also, what if the "OUT" mark doesn't line up perfectly? I have it with about 20 degrees of where it should be, but re-installing the spring compressors isn't relieving enough tension to re-position.

Thanks!

I just dod this on a 02 forester this weekend.

First one, i didn't get it compressed enough before removing the post nut and BOING!

luckily it wasn't the full force of the spring, played hell getting things squeezed down to get it all back together.

Second one using the rinky dink 2 piece squeezer, the one with 2 hooks on one end and a single on the other, I put the single hook into the spring and drove it around the coil toward the cpa with persuader (hammer) as far as I could. flipped the second one opposite and did the same thing so the driver nuts are at opposite ends. worked much better. After releasing things, I was able to tweak the position of things with a vise grip calmped not TOO tightly to the spring and tap the vise grip with the whammer banger.

worked out great. In the future I will be adding some safety wires or ratchet straps throught he coils for a bit more security!

Hopefully you have the compressors with the lock pins, they are the best type to use.

Ok to have 3 on one side and 2 on the other. You can relieve the pressure on the top via the compressors to rotate the top hat some. Make sure springs stay in the groove on the seat as you relieve the pressure.

If you have KYB struts, you will have to notch the brake line mounts to install.

O.

These are what I have. They do have the lock pins.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/strut-spring-compressor/oem-strut-spring-compressor/555557_0_0/

How important is lining up the "OUT"? I tried using the springs to relieve pressure, but it's very time consuming and the top hat seems to revert back to it's old spot once the spring compressors are relaxed.

The first time I did struts, like you the orientation was a little off and I couldn't align them easily. What I did then was to loosen the 19mm center nut so that the unit could twist into alignment. After securing the strut top and bottom I used a deep socket to tighten.

O.

One more question. Do the brake banjo bolt crush washers have to be a perfect fit? My subaru dealer is 40 miles away & can't get them until wednesday. My local motorcycle dealer has some that fit the ID, but the OD doesn't match. Will they be good?

Archived