LegacyGT.com

stripped oil pan

well guys looks like i had to do an oil change today on the legacy gt. First time i had done one since i bought the car, for the life of me i coudn't break loose the drain plug. Finally broke it loose, drained oil replaced oil, and put the plug back in with a new crush washer. the plug tighted for a second and then will only spin in the hole. im guessing either i stripped it or the previous owner did. Anyway my question is there a quick fix besides buying a new pan. I have to take about an hour trip tomorrow to pick up a family member from the airport. Could i tap and die this bolt hole? could i use a rubber drain plug? any advice is much appreciated! And i know tap and die is bad because of metals being trapped in the pan.

All I can think about is what would happen if that drain plug didn't stay in place.. I don't know if you can borrow another car for this trip or what, I'd be pretty nervous to drive the car unless you knew for sure that the drain plug was going to stay put. I'd even consider renting a car for a day or two if you have a rental place nearby, but that's just me and I worry, a lot.

thanks for the quick response guys, im actually planning on getting the specs or size of the drain bolt and then grabbing another bolt from the local hardware store and getting a bolt that is larger in length to attach to the threads that are still in the oil pan. I hope this works!

I believe that is correct.

Go to the auto parts store, they will have the correct replacment drain plug, then buy a tap. The 10 or 15 bucks for the tap will be much cheaper than a new engine. Go slow and clean the tap often. Do you have a shop vac ?

Tell the guys at the parts what your doing, they may have some tips.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived