LegacyGT.com

Wastegate working?

Ok so yesterday I put in a catless uppipe and Invidia Downpipe. Used the AP and did a stage 2 tune. I looked at the notes for the tune on Cobbs site and it shows peak boost should hit 16.5psi.

Upon the few pulls I did up to around 60mph (hope that was enough) best I got was 14.5psi? What gives?

The DP mated up fine to the turbo so I ASSUMED the divorced tab wasn't interfering with the wastegate actuator but maybe it is? How can I disconnect the actuator arm and check to see if I can open the wastegate all the way or not? Or am I missing something else?

If the wastegate isn't working you get a CEL when the wastegate physically hits the divider. I had it happen with my GS Downpipe. It feels like a giant kicks your car.

I hooked up my bike pump to one of my boost control lines - forgot which one it was pretty obvious and used that to make sure the gate wasn't hitting the divider once I trimmed it down.

If the wastegate isn't working you get a CEL when the wastegate physically hits the divider. I had it happen with my GS Downpipe. It feels like a giant kicks your car.

I hooked up my bike pump to one of my boost control lines - forgot which one it was pretty obvious and used that to make sure the gate wasn't hitting the divider once I trimmed it down.

Oh, didn't know that. Thanks. Yeah not getting any CELs but still don't know why I can't hit 16.5 +/- 1.0psi

You sure you didn't load the ACN version?

There could be other issues as to why you weren't hitting target boost- might help your case to post this in the tuning section- and maybe consider a pro tune from one of the e-tuners on the site.

What version AP you using?

If v3, pull up some gauge monitors- look for other things like DAM, Feedback Knock and Fine Learning Knock, Target Boost and Boost- that might give you a better idea of why you aren't hitting the maps' target boost.

could be due to your elevation. The air is a bit thinner and harder to compress for the turbo as you go up in elevation

Never thought of that. Interesting. I ended up driving it for a while today out in the country and getting the speed up there as was able to get 16.8psi so everything seems like it's working now. Did the car have a Learning curve maybe?

Elevation won't change boost pressures. When I first loaded my ap it took a day for the car to run perfect. I think your fine just needed a bit to learn the new tune.

Yep that's exactly what I'm thinking

Elevation won't change boost pressures. When I first loaded my ap it took a day for the car to run perfect. I think your fine just needed a bit to learn the new tune.

this was the case for my stg 1 tune. was only hitting around 14 the first few days but them it kicked it up to the target 15

Did you check your boost pressure before you made the mods ? I gather you didn't, it could be a host of issues. How many miles are on the turbo ? do you hear any unusual singing ? does it spike, then fall? if its the original turbo....I'm willing to bet its on it last legs.

Did you check your boost pressure before you made the mods ? I gather you didn't, it could be a host of issues. How many miles are on the turbo ? do you hear any unusual singing ? does it spike, then fall? if its the original turbo....I'm willing to bet its on it last legs.

Yes I did check before I made the mods. Everything works like it should now and I did also check the turbo. Fins were all intact, slight (I believe in specs) in n out play, and zero side to side play

FYI, if your still on the original turbo I beleive your more than likely on borrowed time.. just keep an eye on that. wish I could be more help but can't think of anything other than vacuum leak. Did you install the resistor when replacing the up pipe ? Check your WGD on your access port as well as learning view.....

FYI, if your still on the original turbo I beleive your more than likely on borrowed time.. just keep an eye on that. wish I could be more help but can't think of anything other than vacuum leak. Did you install the resistor when replacing the up pipe ? Check your WGD on your access port as well as learning view.....

Not sure if it's the original turbo or not but you must have missed my earlier post cause everything is working as it should with no issues. I didn't install the resistor because the AP stage 2 tune deletes that CEL

What? This makes absolutely no sense. Bring your car to the mountains in colorado and tell me your boost/vacuum isn't less. Even going from denver (5280ft) to the mountains anywhere around 7000-10000ft, has a massive difference. My vacuum goes from -19hg to something like -12 to -14hg. My 17 psi tune goes to about 15-16. ALTITUDE HAS A HUGE IMPACT ON BOOST

• 3 weeks later...

This is 100% bullshit. Elevation does affect boost pressure.

Anyone who moves here from lower elevations almost always have to be re-tuned because you don't hit your target boost levels.

I said elevation was not changing his boost pressure meaning as the op said he had loaded a stage 2 map after upgrades and lost boost. Elevation did not lower his boost as he already stated the car is back to working properly. Now if he said he loaded the map and drove to a higher elevation then lost pressure that's a different story. Boost pressure can drop about .5 psi per 1000 ft. Maybe a little more or less. This post is strictly argumentative and if you had read the op already has stated the car works fine as I said it would once the car had a chance to learn the new map. But by all means continue on.

Archived