LegacyGT.com

***The ultimate 6-speed/spec.B rear axle upgrade***

Strizzy

As some of you already know, I have been working on producing rear axles for the spec.B. The project started off as an axle bar only upgrade (all the info on that project is in THIS thread). After the bars were made, the company I've been working with (RCV Performance) started R&D for complete axle assemblies.

After many conversations and a couple visits to their facility, a final design for the CV's was decided. The axles will a 930 style CV joint for both inner and outer CV's. The components used will be "standardized" parts that would be easily available, if needed.

The bars will be 1.25" thick.

After my conversation today, RCV has fully decided to enter the performance street car/import market, with the spec.B axles being their first product. More Subaru axles will soon follow.

The axles will NOT have a horse power limit. Yes, you read that right. NO limit on horse power. And to answer your next question, they will stand behind their axles with a LIFETIME, NO QUESTIONS ASKED warranty. If you do manage to over power the axles, RCV will work with you on producing a stronger replacement.

RCV will be producing these axles in-house, with American made materials.

They are estimating the pricing to be around the $1,000 mark.

RCV would like at least 7 confirmed sets of axles before starting production. If it comes down to it, I would be willing to buy an extra set to get production going.

RCV would like to list the axles for sale on their website, but asked me first if it would be alright with me. I told them that I would like to give you guys a chance to jump on the deal before making them available at full retail pricing.

Comments? Questions? Concerns? Please feel free to ask anything, and I will relay anything I cannot answer, to RCV.

-Steve

That is a great price for such a warranty, and I'll buy a set.

The only catch is, I don't want to be the guinea pig. I need someone else to verify that they fit and function. I just don't want to end up $1000 poorer with a pair of axles that I can't actually use.

No one is going to be a guinea pig with these axles. I personally delivered a spec.B axle, which I removed from my spec.B, to RCV. We have been working back and forth on getting proper measurements and working on possible clearance issues. RCV is about an hour drive from where my car is, and they will make sure there won't be any issues before putting these axles on the market. Since this will be RCV's first performance axle marketed for street/race use, they want this to be done right.

Time frame is still being worked out. We want to make sure everything will be right with these the first time around. I'm estimating sometime around March, though.

Also, I will be out of country from the 21st through the 28th. I'll try to answer any questions when I get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After you upgrade to a 6MT and R180, the spec B axles are the weakest link in the chain. Or maybe it's the joints rather than the axles per se - I've heard different opinions on exactly where they fail.

The only alternatives that I know about are from DriveShaftShop, but too many DSS customers have complained that the axles don't fit right, or aren't strong enough. So those of us with enough power to break stuff have been looking for alternatives. Strizzy is making it happen!

If you're running the stock turbo or a mild upgrade, this is probably nothing to get excited about unless you're really into drag racing. But if you're running a GT3076, or a 20G+meth, then the factory spec B axles are just barely adequate. With more power still, they're just not adequate. My car, with a GT3076, survived a fair amount of abuse, but eventually I did some damage. I haven't raced since that happened, and I won't race until I get stronger axles.

Had another chat with RCV today.

From what I can tell, there are about 9 or 10 sets of axles that people would buy.

The more sets being purchased, the cheaper the price will be. With that said, RCV's price is about $1300 for a pair of complete axle assemblies. They would have a lifetime warranty and unlimited horsepower rating.

Axles will be made to order, if they are not part of this run. Axles made to order will be a bit more expensive.

Those of you who would purchase a set, how much time would you need before being able to fully commit?

Also, I will most likely have RCV handle deposits/payments this time, as this would be quite a large amount of money for me to front to RCV all at once.

I will make an appropriate group buy thread when I have all the product details worked out and know everything would fit exactly how it should.

Archived