LegacyGT.com

Legacy Wheels on a 2015 Outback?

bluesuby

I have two sets of wheels for my 2005 LGT Wagon. I'm considering a 2015 Outback. Both cars take a 7 inch wide 17" wheel (except certain Outbacks move up to 18"). Can I keep my current snow tires on 17" wheels and use them on the Outback (I'm leaning toward the 6 cylinder model with 18" wheels)? Are brake caliper clearance issues a factor?

Might want to check those bolt patterns........this debate comes from ....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/172521-what-oem-rims-will-fit-2015-outback-limited-2-5-a.html

Seems they went to 5x114.3 same as the 2015 Legacys

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html#outback

Well - I think many folks just learn to live with the TPMS light lit up on their dash rather than getting a second set of wheels that have the sensors in them (you also need to program the car to the new wheels each time you swap)

On my last car with TPMS, I got used to the light being on. After my sister in law asked me about it which launched into a whole tutorial about winter tires, which she probably didn't fully understand, the next year I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light! Problem solved, no more 20 questions.

Is the TPMS on a dedicated circuit with its own fuse? If so, would not removal of the fuse (and use of a tire gauge now and then) solve the problems? The other night I watched an episode of Motorweek and the garage guy made it sound like you need new sensors every time you buy new tires because the power source battery wears out. I think the money is better spent upgrading tires than paying for a device to overcome laziness and stupidity.

Archived