LegacyGT.com

Torn between engines

JLTD

MPG vs power vs reliability vs driving impressions, vs vs vs.... how about some help with the decision?

2015 - 2.5 or 3.6? Your choice and why...

(yes I'm aware of the trim level differences.)

And maintenance...the 2.5's oil filter is easy peasy on top. How about oil change in the 3.6?

Will be test driving both to compare but wanted to get some thoughts and impressions from those that have lived with the vehicle awhile.

Thanks in advance!

Reliability I don't think much of a difference. This will depend on what you want and your driving style and area you live in. Also how much $$$ do you want to spend?

My wife and I had an 07 2.5i Impreza. First Subara, loved it, got up and over the mountains just fine. Was a sturdy little beast. Was prob getting around 22 - 24 MPG.

No contest with the '13 3.6R Legacy we now have (along with our LGT). We AVG 22 MPG, after 20K miles of never resetting the gauge :) Usually a full tank of gas is 320/340 miles. On 400 mile trip over Thanksgiving that jumped to 440 miles, after some time of driving as well. So those highway trips are pretty decent.

The acceleration is far better than the 2.5i as well as the torque. Zero struggle getting up a hill and/or passing someone. Handles nicely.

Since it's dry 90% of the time here and no snow, some Michelin Pilot Super Sports make that thing really hug the road, even when it's raining like today. ;)

If $$$ is not a big issue the 3.6r is far better choice. Two exhausts with a nice roar, heavy duty transmission (High Torque), bigger brakes, good power distribution, great cruising very quiet, plenty of guts when needed, better weight distribution with bigger engine with HTCVT and it really two different vehicles. Mpg not much is loss if any 22.5 around town 35+ on the highways @ 70mph. Wife 2014 Forester Touring averages 30.8 gets 36 Highway 29.8 around town. I would highly recommend Eyesight it will save your butt and the Adaptive Cruise Control hands down worth the extra cost for Eyesight. 3.6r is in line with Audi at half the price with low cost maintenance.

Cruise gen 6 forum lot of wealth of information.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

IMHO the 2.5i just doesn't have nearly enough balls. But this is me coming from a GT. I'd personally go with the 3.6R. I've found that for some reason the H6 has less drivetrain vibration, at least in 4th gen Legacys. Reliability on either will be a non issue.

For MPG and practicality, the 2.5. For fun and smooth power, the 3.6. Having a GT with the 2.5 turbo, getting a 3.6 was a no-brainer. Not disappointed in the least. The gas mileage is definitely better, and it doesn't require Premium fuel! You need to drive both and figure out what works for you.

I like my 2.5 Legacy Limited... I can get killer gas mileage and it's not so slow that it's a liability. I like that I can get killer gas mileage and the FB25 is super easy to do oil changes on.

With that being said, I know the H6 is quicker but for me it wasn't worth it for how much more performance (or little) it had over the H4. (disclaimer: I have a modded STI in my garage too.)

I think my 2.5 is fine since the majority of the time I am putting around with just me in my car or my girlfriend in the car.

My friend had a 2011 2.5 Legacy and we loaded up the trunk for 4 people and drove 19 hours to Florida. It would have been nice to have an H6 then for passing on the highway but we still managed to not hate the car during that trip.

I have a 2012 with the 2.5. I don't have many complaints about the car especially at this price point, but I'd definitely pay extra at the dealership and the pump to get the 3.6 in the new one. I think I'm done with 4 cylinders in general for the time being (at least N/a engines unless it's a Honda) .

After three years of owning it, I think I'll just keep it and run it into the ground and get myself what I really want in a 4 door when this one is gone. I have a 2013 Mustang GT as a fun car so the underpowered engine in Subaru is kind of okay. You will really notice how underpowered the 2.5 is while having anyone else but yourself in the car.

I haven't driven the 2015 so don't know if there is any difference between it and my 2012, but I'm guessing they're fairly similar. Drive them both extensively and decide. The 2.5 can be pretty loud and unrefined.

I agree the 2.5i is plenty of power but he was asking why 2.5i or 3.6r and we gave the reason to look towards H6.

Okay, in that vein, I really like the changes made to the 2.5. From the new head design and finally losing the over square bore and stroke and the timing chain, subaru did a great job!

I don't believe anyone ever regrets getting the 3.6r over the 2.5, they both are good cars but if you care at all about power the H6 will not disappoint. They are equally easy to maintain and your maintenance cost will be an extra quart of oil at each change.

• 4 months later...
I drove both quite a bit and bought the 4. I am pleased with it - the acceleration is fins and I have been able to pass on two lane roads with no trouble. I am getting the advertised mileage on the 2015 that is a lot better than I do on the 2006. There is one strange difference - the required oil for the 4 is very expensive 0W-20 while the 6 takes things like ordinary 10W-30. I read detailed road tests that said the 4 handles better with better weight distribution. I didn't have a chance to drive the manual transmission 2015 (it is available here in Canada) - and there is a very very long wait - the ones I did see were purchased by sales staff. So I bought the CVT and it's fine - really.

Thanks to all for the responses; I went with the 4 and after a couple of trips across country - including several hours both ways through the Appalachians - and it has more than enough power.

I drove both quite a bit and bought the 4. I am pleased with it - the acceleration is fine and I have been able to pass on two lane roads with no trouble. I am getting the advertised mileage on the 2015 that is a lot better than I do on the 2006. There is one strange difference - the required oil for the 4 is very expensive 0W-20 while the 6 takes things like ordinary 10W-30. I read detailed road tests that said the 4 handles better with better weight distribution. I didn't have a chance to drive the manual transmission 2015 (it is available here in Canada) - and there is a very very long wait - the ones I did see were purchased by sales staff. So I bought the CVT and it's fine - really.

0w20 IS more expensive in many cases, but check out Amsoil.com if you become a Preferred Customer the OE version is only 4.40 a quart.

The first 5k ODO on my 2.5i I wished I should got the 3.6R. Now at 10k I'm starting to see the real MPG claimed. I would say it need atleast 8k on ODO to see some good mpg, but I never seen 36mpg yet. 2.5i has plenty of power for me, catch up on hwy is quick. Again it's not a race car, if you need power get the WRX. I been owning 4cl cars 12yrs, got my first v6 honda pilot 3 yrs ago. It's pretty close comparable power with the most v6 especially a FWD.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

The first 5k ODO on my 2.5i I wished I should got the 3.6R. Now at 10k I'm starting to see the real MPG claimed. I would say it need atleast 8k on ODO to see some good mpg, but I never seen 36mpg yet. 2.5i has plenty of power for me, catch up on hwy is quick. Again it's not a race car, if you need power get the WRX. I been owning 4cl cars 12yrs, got my first v6 honda pilot 3 yrs ago. It's pretty close comparable power with the most v6 especially a FWD.

The Subaru Legacy 4 cylinder engine isn't anywhere close to the power of most 6 cylinder cars, FWD, RWD, or AWD. Hell, even the 3.6R is starting to lack in the power department compared to other makes and models. I understand the "want" of a 4 cylinder for max MPG, but to claim it's on par power wise with any 6 cylinder is delusional.

Yea, I haven't drive any v6 newer than 12'.

Very few v6s are setting land speed records these days and most come in very heavy cars. There are more slow ones than quick ones so I get the gist of your statement. Some take statements made on the web a little to seriously.

Archived