LegacyGT.com

Throw out bearing

DONDOLO

So I have done tons of research and Im pretty sure i have a bad throw out bearing. But the clutch has been replaced to a stage 2 clutch before i bought the car about a year ago. Im guessing the previous owner didn't change the throw out bearing when they changed the clutch. So id like to know besides gut wrenching noise it makes what are the potential damages im facing on the clutch or transmission?

Excess wear on the trans input snout for starters. Worst case would be if the TOB decides to grenade itself, which could then damage the cluth/pressure plate/flywheel/transmission housing. That would be a lot more $$$ than fixing it now.

dang. well looks like i need to call up Mach V Motorsports and get this worked out. ASAP its weird it seems like all my problems only come when it gets cold outside lol. well thank you for that advice i was hoping to try and get it done myself but i cant put this off until the weather warms back up.

Make sure you use a TSK3 kit when you go in there to replace the TSB. My guess is the last didn't use one.

You don't want your tranny to end up looking like this guys. Get it replaced ASAP.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/08-legacy-gt-throwout-tski-232472.html?t=232472&highlight=TSK

The TOB could have been replaced, just got worn down prematurely or faulty. Or the snout could have been grooved/damaged and the TSK3 kit was never installed when it should have been last time.

I'm getting the same symptons and ordered a TSK3 kit from one of the forum vendors. Better to get it done now than risk blowing things up in the transmission.

So this morning I did the normal routine to work. No noise other than the initial start then very faint on like the first 3 shifts. After that I didn't hear anything abnormal. Idk what is going on the weather is 10 degrees warmer than yesterday. The noise started Sunday. Now today it's gone

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same symptoms on my recently purchased '05. That's really normal? I ordered a tsk3 kit and planned to do that next week. It would certainly be easier to wait until spring. I don't want to risk damaging the snout or housing though. After reading about all the TOB failures I got nervous.

What would you all do? It's just my labor and I do have SOME heat in the garage...

If the noise is constantly there (when you press the clutch pedal) no matter what the temperature is outside or after you've disengaged the clutch a few times it is failing. If it is just a few occurrences and it goes away after you've depressed the clutch pedal a few times, it is normal.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on my situation, for the archives...

I paid close attention for a few days. The noise would go away after a few miles but it definitely took more than the first few shifts.

So I pulled the gearbox and the TOB was trashed. Very crunchy. Snout looked good but I had the TSK3 already so that went on. I don't have it back together yet. I'm still drilling pinch bolts out of steering knuckles too...

Anyway, I'm glad I pulled it. Hopefully everything will go back together nicely.

Totally forgot to update this haha. I want to thank all of you for your advice. It was the throw out bearing that was bad so I went ahead and just replaced the whole set up. I got the ACT streetlite flywheel and the ACT street clutch kit. Everything is good now

Also does any one know the real difference between the ACT street clutch 787$ rated at 420 foot lbs of torque and the ACT heavy duty clutch 645$ rated at 430 foot lbs of torque. Besides just the obvious price and power rating differences. I wanted the heavy duty but they were out so instead of waiting I went with the street clutch.

Archived