LegacyGT.com

P0302 - now what?

So I had codes for O2 sensor and lean bank 1. Replaced upstream O2 and found one small vacuum hise hose, which I out back in and zip tied. Now that its all back together and I have finished installing boost & oil pressure gauges CEL came right back. Misfire cylinder 2.

I dont think I touched anything around there. Plugs have max 6,000 miles so it cant be that. Is there a way to test the injector & coil pack? I dont know what else it could be.

Remove the coil pack, use a pair of needle nose pliers and twist the pins slightly and reinstall the coil pack. The female connectors in the coil plug become worn over time and loosen up. When you twist the pins, it makes them regain good contact. It's best to do the same thing to all 4 coil packs.

Okay, got #2 coil off and plug out. The pins looked fine but I bent them over just a tiny bit. The spark plug loed fine except it was gapped right at .030" which is a little tight. I opened it up to as close to .040" as I could get.

No joy. Still have code. Does that narrow it down to a bad injector? BTW if this is the easy one I am NOT looking forward to checking the rest of them. :rolleyes:

Did you swap it with another cylinder first to see if issues follows?

I have the same issue- it got less worse after I had my valves adjusted, but it came back after 80 miles. I have slightly less compression in cylinder 2, but my shop fought me on having a leak down done when they did the compression test.

My bet is a burnt valve or cracked ringland- and I think I am in the same boat. This is why everyone on the forums recommends both a leak down and a compression test- some people have seen good compression results and only a leak down showed a problem.

^what he said. I would not bother buying a new coilpack. I'd just swap coilpack 2 and 4 and see if the misfire follows. If it stays in #2, time for compression/leakdown. I may be in the same boat if it makes you feel any better. Although in my case, idle is not rough and misfire only occurs at idle when the engine is cold AND it is cold outside.

If the misfire is temperature dependent, I would look to doing the intake manifold gaskets first- I had mine done the same time as my valve adjustment, timing belt, plugs, up pipe and down pipe installed.

For my issue, the injector was already swapped, so I am down to just coils, fuel pump (OP already cleared his fuel system) and the engine internals. With my slightly lower compression in #2, I suspect the worse for mine- especially since it was running the stock tune for the first 90k miles.

It would be just my luck.....

If the misfire is temperature dependent, I would look to doing the intake manifold gaskets first-

That's what I am hoping. Although it is a bit odd that it just occurs for cylinder 2.. But let's stay optimistic I guess. I may tackle this tomorrow. I have new gaskets.

Good luck with it- that IM is a pain in the butt to lift up with out disconnecting the fuel lines.

I heard somewhere on here it might help to have a small jack or something else to help prop it up while you are fishing around to get the old gaskets out....

It will want to die if you completely pull it out- hence why we say to completely swap it and see if the misfire code follows to the other cylinder.

Not something I would recommend doing in the auto parts parking lot.

Good luck with it- that IM is a pain in the butt to lift up with out disconnecting the fuel lines.

I heard somewhere on here it might help to have a small jack or something else to help prop it up while you are fishing around to get the old gaskets out....

Yeah I know that it will suck. Oh well.

Hmmmm...I dont have a scanner here. Can I just pull anogher coil while its running and if it wants to die thats probably it? I hate doing this in thebe parking lot of the auto parts store.

Swap the coilpacks at home, then if/when the misfire pops up. Just go to autozone to read it. Or you can pull it yourself. Our 05/06 have a builtin code reader :cool:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/code-reader-23292.html?t=23292&highlight=code

OK, got the coil packs swapped. What a major pain in the arse! I had a couple of errands. Picked up a coil pack. Still running rough - cold or warm. Stopped by auto zone. Misfire cylinder 2 has turned into lean bank 1 and misfires on all cylinders.

I just installed new/larger injectors & fuel pump yesterday and that may be part of the problem. I am going to do my tune with Cryo to get that where it should be and off the list of possible issues. When that is done this weekend (I hope) then I will have another look and report.

• 2 weeks later...
Well it is not good news. Got the Legacy to a local speed shop. All the coils & injectors are fine, though they are NOT fans of DW injectors. Had a long dress down by their tuner. Anyway tbe bad news is No.2 compression is very low. So it could be $2k for a bent valve or $6k+ for a new small block. Being unemployed right now means it's gonna get parked. Major bad news for me.

Archived