LegacyGT.com

Winter Tire Review: Michelin X-Ice Xi3

JF1GG29

Figured I'd do some research here on the forum. I'm planning on getting new snow tires for my wagon in the next few month's.

The Blizzaks LM25's are shot. The Generals look good for the price, but that's floaty comment has me worried.

I had Michelin Alpin PA2's back before the LM25's.

The WS80's or the LM32's are something I think I'd get. Not planning on buying till June or July...

Any body have any input ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The Generals are probably the best performing snow tires that TR offers in terms of snow grip and performance. They're also Q speed rated, so dry winter driving will need to be toned down for sure. I've got Toyo Observe Garit KX now and they're reaching the end of their useful service life in snow. When they were basically brand new 3 years ago, they were amazing. Solid feel on dry (not AS or Summer response, but not sloppy or marshmallow by any means), and very capable in deep snow/slush/ice. Not the greatest in just wet conditions, my Pirelli P-Zero Neros were better in rainy conditions.

So I too am looking for new winter tires about 6 months from now. Thinking a studless winter over winter performance category this time around. Subbing for input.

Q...99mph...I do sometime dip into the low triple digits for a short time.

Think I'll stick with H rated.

If you were happy with the performance of the LM25s, and ice traction is not a high priority, then stick with a H or V rated performance winter, like the LM32S, Dunlop 4D, Pirelli Sottozero, etc.

You can find a lot of test data for performance winters summarized here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/default.aspx

WS80 are T and H speed rated vs R for WS60.

They should feel much better than old ones on highway and should be no worse in snow and ice.

But performance winter should be even better in dry, wet and slush and suffer consequences in snow and ice.

Pick what is important to you.

Krzys

• 9 months later...

Archived