LegacyGT.com

Help Subaru Outback 3.0R Supercharger Setup

Guys ,

I've just signed up and need some help about these questions .:)

Very soon , i'll get myself a '07 or '08 Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT Wagon @ ~60K miles and quite interested to apply some performance upgrades to this vehicle. My target will be around ~350+WHP :rolleyes:

This will be the first time I build a performance setup.

Any advices/suggestions are welcome.:)

1-)I searched some kits for "Subaru EZ30 Engine" and decided to get a Raptor Supercharger . They offer 2 different kits one is standart EZ30 kit , and another is premium intercooled. What do you think about these kits? Are they good and reliable?Which one should i get?

2-)Also planning to get EZ30 performance headers from Raptor.What's your opinion about those headers? They have 2 offers. One is stainless polished another is ceramic coated.Does ceramic one gives any advantages compared to other one?

3-)Is Subaru's stock EZ30 engine is tough enough to handle this kind of power? I have no clue about these EZ30 H6 engines.

Do you think any engine upgrades will be needed for this kind of setup? (Forged Pistons , Rods , Sleeves , Exhaust valves , etc...)

4-) I think i'm gonna need a valve body mod & diff bushings for 5EAT transmission.HexMods F1 maybe?

5-)What about the torque converter?. Can you suggest a TC to maximize the performance at wheels, and minimize the power losses?(I presume stock TC won't handle the job)

Thank you & best wishes.;)

That raptor kit is solid as well as the headers. I would add a trans cooler and temp gauge along with the planned mods. Not sure on the converter but that info can be found easily. The EZ30D can handle the load :)

Many thanks GEE-OTTO :)

Yes , transmission cooler is already on my list too.

I can the trust the 5eat transmission to handle the job right? (I'm planning to apply HexMods valve body & diff bushings too.)

How's this hayden transmission cooler? Is this a good one ? :

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-526-Transmission-Cooling/dp/B000HEC8RM]Amazon.com: Hayden Automotive 526 Remote Transmission Oil Cooling System: Automotive[/ame]

The 5eat is a pretty good transmission, I would get the largest cooler you can fit. Remember this tranny is also running the awd system so more weight and friction. Check out IPT for upgrades and or a replacement strategy if necessary. You will probably want to setup a tuner to get you settled after everything is installed and working.

Also a nice writeup with a good walk through would absolutely make you the man with the other EZ30 owners on here! You may want to check out a 3.6r model as well not sure when they started but the power potential on those motors is probably a little more since they are lower compression than the 3.0. I haven't driven a 3.6 but the 3.0 in our Tribeca is a pretty smooth power plant, I could definitely see it being a screamer with the upgrades you have planned! Good Luck!

The 5eat is a pretty good transmission, I would get the largest cooler you can fit. Remember this tranny is also running the awd system so more weight and friction. Check out IPT for upgrades and or a replacement strategy if necessary. You will probably want to setup a tuner to get you settled after everything is installed and working.

Also a nice writeup with a good walk through would absolutely make you the man with the other EZ30 owners on here! You may want to check out a 3.6r model as well not sure when they started but the power potential on those motors is probably a little more since they are lower compression than the 3.0. I haven't driven a 3.6 but the 3.0 in our Tribeca is a pretty smooth power plant, I could definitely see it being a screamer with the upgrades you have planned! Good Luck!

Thank you FLlegacy.

Yeah i was checking the specs of 5EAT transmission . They say you may tow ~2000pounds easliy with Tribeca B9 , and additional ~1500pounds with tranmission cooler support.(Total of ~3500 pounds)

So , this must be a very tough transmission like you mentioned.

My current drive is B9 Tribeca too , i'm thinking to sell this one and get an outback 3.0R wagon.

We also discussed about installing SC Kit on B9 Tribeca long time ago.inspired from this :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUW8mvKqpUI]Subaru Tribeca 3.0H6 supercharged walkaround.MTS - YouTube[/ame]

But as you know this car is too heavy and fatass .:)

Outback 3.0R is a much better option i believe.

The tribeca is heavy for sure, but for me the space it offers over the outback/legacy is worth the penalty. Even for it's size it handles fairly well and gets going equally well. If it were me I would either use the tribeca, for uniqueness, or just get an outback xt to start with you will be miles ahead and still have a rare enough car that not many people would know whats under the hood.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever finish this project?

I'm about to start a new project where I'll be using an Eaton m90 supercharger on an EZ30. I'll be fabricating the tubing and manifold myself.

I don't know very much about tuning and don't have access to a dyno, so I'm looking for a tune file for a boosted EZ30, running 8-10 psi of boost... so I can just flash the tune to me ECM.

Can anyone help me out with a boosted tune? (I'll be using stock injectors, and stock exhaust manifolds)

Thanks!!

Did you ever finish this project?

I'm about to start a new project where I'll be using an Eaton m90 supercharger on an EZ30. I'll be fabricating the tubing and manifold myself.

I don't know very much about tuning and don't have access to a dyno, so I'm looking for a tune file for a boosted EZ30, running 8-10 psi of boost... so I can just flash the tune to me ECM.

Can anyone help me out with a boosted tune? (I'll be using stock injectors, and stock exhaust manifolds)

Thanks!!

Yes, get in touch with Ed @ XRT. He is an EZ30 genius, and helped Raptor develop their headers for the EZ30 platform.

info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Yes, get in touch with Ed @ XRT. He is an EZ30 genius, and helped Raptor develop their headers for the EZ30 platform.

info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Thanks for the info. I haven't bought the 3.0 legacy/outback yet, but I have the eaton m90 and all the related components and tubing that I think* I'll need.

If I can get the tune sorted out, I'll buy the car and the project will be on. I'd really like to be able to get/buy a tune file for a stock EZ30 running 8-10 lbs of boost, so that I can just flash my ECM and not have to take the car somewhere to be tuned/dynoed.

I'll send an email to XRT, thanks again for the info!

Mine arrived on Christmas Eve. Didn't get any spacers for running a front sway bar though :spin::mad: Gonna need the spacers if you plan to run an aftermarket front sway bar. Tim is on vacation for a couple weeks now too. Hopefully he remembered to ship you some spacers. These are pretty sexy!

IMAG1004.thumb.jpg.a20ec896067b9fb9a8528cb06f3e2b20.jpg

IMAG0997.thumb.jpg.4892ff406092af58fdde12d4caa00910.jpg

IMAG1001.thumb.jpg.7774546a306f55fbca309571454f4bdb.jpg

IMAG1002.thumb.jpg.6fb2b4bc458dfec038c4db21c1501333.jpg

IMAG1003.thumb.jpg.1c739ad2a35aee2fe7acfb3cac41f0d3.jpg

IMAG1006.thumb.jpg.c94d0d5a54769445d1c98777b7d1da45.jpg

IMAG1005.thumb.jpg.56eb8ff51bdf2cb291523ec3c7a3e674.jpg

Oh no way! Mine were supposed to arrive at my folks home last week since I'm in the middle of a move, and no one got the door to sign when it arrived. NOOOOOOOO!!!!

And wow I had no clue about the spacers... I was in the market for a Tribeca front bar.

Great minds think alike. I actually picked up my Tribeca front sway today. Just in case you don't have this info....

Tribeca Front Sway: 20401XA00A

Forester Rear End Links: 20470SA011

Tribeca Sway Bar Bushings: 20414XA01A

The headers should come with extra flanges that you can weld onto hi flow cats, or weld onto whatever you plan to mount after the headers. Personally, i'm doing 2.5" exhaust all the way back. Magnaflow hi flow cats off the headers, and a couple Vibrant ultra quiet resonators in there somewhere. The Raptors are gonna make her scream, so I need to be able to quiet her down a bit. Track down those headers man!:eek:

Headers are in! Came with spacers. Should I use another gasket set between the spacer and the header so they'll be a gasket on both sides of the spacer?

Thanks!

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag113/shabbasi/34CB82E6-67F5-483C-8A8C-30E5F66C6EB9_zps0yaragux.jpg

You could if you wanted to. Block, gasket, spacer, header is what seems to be the norm, but an extra gasket can't hurt. What else is in your exhaust plans?

Archived