LegacyGT.com

Idle and starting questions

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I recently bought a 94 Subaru Legacy non-turbo about 6 weeks ago. I had a few issues right away, had to replace the fuel pump. Since then I have also replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, (front brake pads-not related) and also ran one bottle of fuel injector cleaner about two tanks of gas ago.

My question is the guy I bought it from who owns a subaru shop said that these cars are known to flood when it gets below 20 degrees. A trick to help prevent it he said is to turn key to on position and count 7-Mississippi and then start. And if it does get flooded to hold gas pedal down and crank it for 10-15 secs at a time and take a break to allow starter to not overheat then continue doing that until it starts.

I have had to do that twice now and it does seem to work. However, my starting issues vary depending on the temperature (sometimes). On average it seems like it can take 5-10 secs to turn it over. And sometimes on the longer side of that it seems like it is about to die down and then turns over. Sometimes it start after a couple secs of cranking. When it is really cold outside, then it really seems to take longer.

So far, it starts every day but I'm hoping I can figure out a solution to replace or do something to help it start faster and avoid a potential issue in the future. Like replace the ignition control module or whatever. I have had the battery, alternator, and starter tested. They said they battery failed, so I replaced that and the other two test good.

Also, when idling it sits at 0 RPMS. The car doesnt shake or make noises like its about to stall out. But it just idles real low, I know thats not supposed to be normal but was wondering if anyone has experienced this or noticed this.

Also, the fuel gauge does not work, which is annoying but I just reset the trip and refill every 250-280 miles.

I think the speedometer does not work. I got pulled over with the cop saying I was going 75 in a 55 zone. I'm pretty sure the needle was no where near 70. And when I try to go the speed limit it seems like everyone is flying by me. So I'm not sure what to think on this one.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

the guy I bought it from who owns a subaru shop said that these cars are known to flood when it gets below 20 degrees. A trick to help prevent it he said is to turn key to on position and count 7-Mississippi and then start. And if it does get flooded to hold gas pedal down and crank it for 10-15 secs at a time and take a break to allow starter to not overheat then continue doing that until it starts.
this sounds like there was a starting issue with the car,

and he found a way to get it to start.

my 95 never did this, and my 97, 98 and 00 do not do it now.

if it is flooded,

putting the gas pedal to the floor is how you start it.

but is should not flood very often.

i have been driving subarus since 1994 and i can not remember flooding a car when trying to start it.

but i have not driven yours, so i do not know.

the gas gauge is a PIA.

a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner may help.

or just keep resetting the trip meter.

you can check you speedo against most any GPS unit.

tire size will throw off a speedo.

stock tire size for your car is 185/70/14, i think. (24.2 inch diameter)

what are you running?

larger tires will make the car drive faster than the speedo reads.

by the way, i would go to court and tell the judge it was a new car and you did not know the speedo had an error.

you might get lucky.

the 90 - 94 cars have a cable driven speedo,

and if yours works at all the cable is probably ok.

i haven't heard much talk about bad speedos in the 90 - 94 years, but it can happen.

try borrowing someones GPS.

check the tires size on your car.

good luck,

and well to the party.

Yea I am running the stock size, 185/70R14. I will try to get that fuel cleaner soon.

But yea I have to go to court for the ticket I got, didn't have option to pay online. So I could try to bring it up when there but not sure how that will go. When I brought it up to the cop when he pulled me over, thinking that he would give me a warning. He said don't tell that to cops because they could give me a ticket for a malfunctioning speedometer. He said he wasn't that kind of guy, thank god, I can't afford two tickets.

So I will see how that goes in court. But I would like to figure something out about the starting, but maybe the fuel cleaner will help more.

in my limited experience,

your assertion that your speedo is inaccurate will hold no water in court.

unless you have the speedo calibrated on a dyno machine and have paper work to prove it.

and just a guess, this will cost about the same as the ticket.???

but you might get some mercy if you plead ''new car owner'' and you had no intention of driving too fast.

it may also help if you dress as much like a lawyer as you can.

imho .

test you speedo against a GPS.

or drive a known distance, example: 37 miles to grandma's house,

and reset your trip meter before you start.

then compare the results.

if speedos are off there are usually 2 variations,

1/ there is a percentage error. 10 = 11, 50 = 55, 70 = 77

if this is the case, it will be true for both the speedo and the odometer. (speed and distance.)

2/ it is just funky, it does not display the info correctly.

this will probably not affect the odometer / distance.

there is a possibility of a loose ground screw on the back of the speedo.

this happens in the 050 - 98 years, i have not read much about it in the 90 - 94 years.

the mounting screws loosen up, the unit looses its ground.

the speedo acts weird.

worth checking, maybe.

the 95 - 99 are pretty easy to pull.

but the 94 has a speedo cable.

i do not know how much harder that makes it.

Archived