LegacyGT.com

Engine sound help?

I didn't really hear anything abnormal in that video to be honest, though there was a lot of wind noise outside and what sounded like exhaust drone inside.

I can tell you this, from what I did hear your car sounded a lot like mine does in the cold. A high, loud idle, loud tapping noises, the works after I'm parked outside for awhile on a cold day/night. I think this is just how our cars are. I'll try to get a video of my car sometime, but it might not be for a few weeks or so since it doesn't look like its gonna be below 0c again for at least a week here, and the colder it is the worse the sounds are.

Mike the 2.5i has always had a loud idle in cold temps and the PZEV models are even more prone to that loud idle due to an aggressive tuning at idle to get the cats up to operating temps. That sound that you may also be hearing is the exhaust shield near the header rattling.

It was a PITA but cut off the old rusted bolts on the exhaust shield, wrapped the headers in fiberglass exhaust tape, then bolted the shield back on with new stainless steel bolts and that seemed to help A LOT! Check to see if there is any loose heat shielding that's bolted to the body while your under there too.

Archived