LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT 5EAT Check Engine Light - Did I do something wrong here?

Hey there guys, sorry to bother you with what might seem like a really "basic" question.. but I'm a little paranoid, so bare with me.

Last night, coming home from work, I decided to take an uphill corner a fairly decent rate of speed. I came into the corner at around the middle point of the gear (I believe I was in 3rd, was definitely "within boost") and upon reaching the point where the automatic transmission should have shifted into 4th, the car seemed to lag, shift, lag, and then apply power back to the car.

After this harsh shift, I noticed that I had a check engine light come on, coupled with a blinking cruise control light. At that point, I babied the car home, parked it, and allowed the car to cool down for the night. Upon inspecting the car when driving into work this morning, I'm still showing lights.

I'm going to try to bring the car into a local parts shop to see if they wouldn't mind putting it on a scanner for me, and letting me know what the code might be.. but for now, I'm stuck inside; wondering.

Are there any 5EAT owners who may have had this happen to them as well, or have heard of it? I didn't believe myself as being too hard on the car during that short sprint, as I was not wide open on the throttle, or doing anything that I feel I couldn't do in a similar vehicle without worry.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Have a good one!

Don't worry about the CC flashing, it always dose when you have a CEL. A flashing CEL is bad.

You may have just over boosted, if the weather was colder then normal that can happen.

You can try this,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/CELcodereaderina05_zpseda523cf.png

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Woah! That's an awesome little trick! I'll definitely use this for future issues.

And, I thought of the possibility of "Over-Boosting." However, this is my first turbo vehicle, so I'm still a little unsure of what exactly causes that. Is there anyway to combat future over boosting?

Thanks for the info, by the way!

Woah! That's an awesome little trick! I'll definitely use this for future issues.

And, I thought of the possibility of "Over-Boosting." However, this is my first turbo vehicle, so I'm still a little unsure of what exactly causes that. Is there anyway to combat future over boosting?

Thanks for the info, by the way!

You won't know until you get the codes. Overboosting on a stock tune isn't really an issue, most of the time. My guess is that you've got old motor mounts, and when you took the corner too fast, it flexed too much and caused a misfire.

I assume from your tone that the car still runs fine? If so, after you pull the code (and reset the ecu), keep an eye on things. If it still runs well, try to reproduce the error and we can help you diagnose further.

Where are you on mods? Have you replaced your UP and gotten tuned yet? If not, those are the pretty big ones that kinda need to be done-

Thanks for the reply, MrTris

I recently purchased the vehicle, to be honest with you.. so as far as mods, all that I can tell (thus far) is the Catback Exhaust system that was installed by the previous owner.. otherwise, I'm unsure of how to check for previous tunes. All that I've personally done is a new drop in filter.

The car appears to be running okay, although I've babied it since last night. I did have this happen once before, on the highway. (Once again, going from 3rd to 4th I believe) and the light seemed to turn off after a day or so of babying it to and from work.

I'm looking into doing the up-pipe replacement as soon as possible. As far as a tune, I'm unsure as to where I should be looking for such work in my area. I have a friend who's well versed in the open-source tuning on a couple of different models, and he offered to loan a hand and tools in doing something for my vehicle.. however, that won't be until March, when I can afford to take a weekend off to make it out to Ohio.

Thanks for the reply! It's greatly appreciated.

Don't sit on that UP replacement for too long; time is of the essence of that one. Hit up the classifieds on NASIOC (regional is always best) and look for, or post a WTB for a catless UP, any will work, aside from an external wastegate (ewg) model. Most OEM catless UPs can be had for no more than $75, in the case of an 07+ STi. Fairly easy install, great opportunity to take care of a lot of things while you're in there, too.

I personally suggest you spend the money on an AP, as its an amazing diagnostic tool, as well as a tuning box. If you don't have a tuner who knows turbo Subarus, perhaps its best to let him practice on someone else's car. I hear Turn In Concepts is somewhere in Ohio, they're a renown Subaru shop, and definitely worth the drive, if you can get in.

I'm not personally in Ohio; I'm actually located in Northeast Pennsylvania. But I'll take the message to heart, for sure.

I'll be sourcing out an UP replacement this week, thanks to a paycheck.

Hopefully one of the local places I know of will have something.. is it just the 07+ STI that had the stock catless UP? I could have sworn there were a model of the WRX.. maybe 06+?

I had a same model year non-turbo, same behavior, turned out to be bad gaskets around plug #3 which let oil into the plug housing and caused a CEL with sudden power loss then an immediate regain in power. It was sporadic for a month until one day the car just sounded horrible and ran terrible. Bought the gaskets, plugs and wires and all was prefect again. Might be worth checking.

[quote=MrTris;4998218 My guess is that you've got old motor mounts, and when you took the corner too fast, it flexed too much and caused a misfire.

QUOTE]

I never knew this could be an issue, I have a feeling this might be my problem, every now and then my CEL comes on for a day or two, then turns off again, no loss in power and the car doesn't run any different. Maybe motor mounts will go on the christmas list...

Mr Tris. do you know the part number for the 07+ Catless OEM Up Pipe. I have tried a couple times to find it on online parts sites (Subaru Parts sites) and as of yet have had no luck. Does Transmission affect this or is the part you mention universal for MT and AT? Thanks!

Mr Tris. do you know the part number for the 07+ Catless OEM Up Pipe. I have tried a couple times to find it on online parts sites (Subaru Parts sites) and as of yet have had no luck. Does Transmission affect this or is the part you mention universal for MT and AT? Thanks!

It's universal.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g12/type_17/exhaust_system/exhaust/

Looks like #24, Joint pipe assembly-exhaust, rear, 44614AA000.

Archived