LegacyGT.com

Engine Fits

moosebs09

I have a 1996 Legacy Lsi that might need some engine work and instead of putting too much work into it I would rather buy a new engine with less miles on it. If anyone knows about fits as far as a 2.2 L for this car or what size engine I should be looking for to mount up without any modifaction really needed please let me know. I realize is it a 2.5 L engine and I was just wondering if the 2.2L would fit and from what years/models I might be able to find a match as far as the engine. Also I found a set of heads, which is what I need but these heads are off a 2.5 L from a 99 legacy outback wagon, Any idea if these fit on my engine? Im new to subarus so I am learning about all this in the process so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Doing a 2.5 head on 2.2 block is what us old schooler leg owners call a frankenstien. I have never personally did it, but I know people who have. This can make your leg very fast. Especially when you use a GT computer and throttle body. Why don't you go all the way with a JDM H25 conversion?

No im not using a 2.5 on a 2.2. I currently have a 2.5 and might replace the head on that with a 2.5 head, I was just wondering about the fit of the 2.2 L in a legacy LSi in case that is the cheapest way for me to go right now as far as an engine. This isnt going to be a big project yet, I will do that later on, for now I want to get it back on the road and running the easiest and cheapest way possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Doing a 2.5 head on 2.2 block is what us old schooler leg owners call a frankenstien. I have never personally did it, but I know people who have. This can make your leg very fast. Especially when you use a GT computer and throttle body. Why don't you go all the way with a JDM H25 conversion?

What?!?!?!?!?

An "oldschooler" leg owner would know that the engine codes are EJ20, EJ22, EJ25, etc. . . . and it's NOT, I repeat NOT possible to make a naturally aspirated Legacy fast. This is why Subaru made, and again makes, turbo models.

• 6 years later...
ive seen someone make 300hp and a ej25d. even with no turbo. but thats the only one ive ever seen. the ej25d or ej22 that comes in the legacy are great economy motors. hard to make good power without lots of money to build them. im planning on building a 25d with ej22 heads, the whole port polish works and thinking about making some custom ITB's (indevidual throttle bodies) making four of them work will be hard. but if i could get 220 out of a ej25d, than i would be happy

Building a high output N/A Subaru engine is a waste of time and money.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived