LegacyGT.com

Spark plug oil leak? Intercooler leak? CV Boots? AHHH!!!

Hi:), I recently purchased a 2005 Legacy GTL Sedan, stock except for cold air. Every now and then I get a faint to strong burning or emissions smell in the cab. Then the other day whitish light grey smoke almost looked like steam was very lightly poofing from the hood intake at a stop light. Pulled over and found some oily spots smoking under the intercooler.

I've attached some photos, my plan is to get it checked out ASAP but I would love to get additional feedback or pointers? Maybe I don't need to take to the shop and it's an easy fix? Comments appreciated.

P.S. dunno how to attach photos - darn!

THe metal tabs may have spread out due to higher boost. THis is common on the stock intercoolers with the plastic end tanks.

Search BurstProof (BP) Intercooler DIY...many have slightly clamped the tabs and then JB welded for a cheap and quick fix...

Good Luck!

I posted the info below over at another forum awhile back, and it looks like the process is the same here.

To post pictures, do the following when posting a new reply.

After clicking "New Reply", look Under "Additional Options", you will see a grey button that says "Manage Attachments".

Click "Manage Attachments", then click one of the grey "Browse" buttons. After clicking "Browse", navigate to where the image you would like to attach is found on your computer. Select the file/picture you wish to attach, and hit "Open". If you would like to attach an additional image, click one of the "Browse" buttons again, but make sure it's one that says "No file selected" next to it, otherwise you could replace the image you just attached.

Once you have selected the pictures you wish to attach, click the grey button that says "Upload". After the pictures have uploaded, scroll to the bottom of the window and click "Close this window". After that, you just submit your reply the way you normally would.

your passenger valve cover is leaking onto your uppipe and/or header, or your cv boot is torn and spraying axle grease on your downpipe. my money's on the first one.

also BP your TMIC, but that's not the issue at hand.

PS, take your 'cold air' off and put the stock airbox back on. It's already a CAI.

Additionally, is the smell you're getting coming through the vents while/during/immediately after being on-boost, such as while accelerating onto an on-ramp? If so, your UP cat is dislodging and preparing to take out your turbocharger, which will then take out your motor. A multi-thousand-dollar affair that can be ameliorated with a quick WTB on NASIOC and about $75.

You mission (should you choose to accept it) for the long weekend:

o Research and understand why an aftermarket CAI is of no use to you and, if necessary, source an OEM airbox assembly.

o Research and understand why you need to replace the UP.

o Replace UP and OEM airbox.

o Read some build threads, just for good measure.

Welcome to (the wonderful world of) LGT ownership!

^^ +1 this. Welcome to the bittersweet world of Legacy ownership. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and they are a rewarding machine, but they are higher maintenance than a hot blonde.

Also with pics- I have to crop down all the pics I take with my phone before it will allow me to upload to the site. There's a size requirement and maybe thats the issue.

^^ +1 this. Welcome to the bittersweet world of Legacy ownership. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and they are a rewarding machine, but they are higher maintenance than a hot blonde.

Also with pics- I have to crop down all the pics I take with my phone before it will allow me to upload to the site. There's a size requirement and maybe thats the issue.

Yup. 500k max. (pic size, not cost) I use PixResizer.

Great feedback! thank you! I am going to have to do a fair amount of research to understand all of what those parts are and to determine what is going on with the vehicle for sure. The filter is a K and N typhoon that came with the vehicle, I could ask the previous owner if he has the original. He was the third owner.. Will this filter damage the vehicle or drain power?

The smell comes occasionally when the car is off completely or on, driving or stopped, so no difference there really as far as I can tell. It drives beautifully.

Thanks again

The map the car is running on (most likely) isn't scaled for anything but the stock intake. It may result in a rich or lean condition depending on the actual airflow. They can be used but they require a tune for safest results. That being said I believe the K&N is pretty close. I have Typhoon as well but it's tuned for it.

As far as the smoke it could be a number of things. The stock intercooler isn't too hard to remove. Get digging and find out. You dont leak any oil/fluid while parked do you?

Welcome, and I share your troubles. Valve cover gaskets and spark plugs change coming soon on my end. To top it all , I got a BP'd, oem tmic, work done by Mike (BMB) on the way to replace my busted unit.

Though you have no leaks reaching the ground keep checking your oil level on the dipstick. Keep the oil mark above the low level when you can. Do not overfill.

OK, that makes sense.

You might need new oil lines, and definitely crush washers. There's also a chance your turbo's oil seals have succumbed to age and the turbo needs rebuilt. If you can swing it, I suggest replacing it sooner rather than later.

Okay guess I see why the dude was selling this car. That's ok I will take care of it, it's a sweet vehicle. Thanks for all the help guys. And helping me talk about what I got with the right terms!

-So I need to replace the UP (up pipe? what is this exactly, sorry I'm so newb)

-Considering replacing CAI back to stock or just tuning my K&N typhoon for the car

-Need to check the oil lines (i'm pretty sure the oil lines around the turbo are leaking)

-Buy a Bulletproof TMIC kit

-and I'm considering a VF52 turbo (What Up pipe and Intercooler would go well with a VF52? browsing http://www.jscspeed.com )

My Subie will be happy after doing those things?

What are the top 5 or top 10 best replacements/upgrades to keep ones lgt 05-09 running smooth and happy? Mine has a little over 105,000 miles.

Okay guess I see why the dude was selling this car. That's ok I will take care of it, it's a sweet vehicle. Thanks for all the help guys. And helping me talk about what I got with the right terms!

-So I need to replace the UP (up pipe? what is this exactly, sorry I'm so newb)

-Considering replacing CAI back to stock or just tuning my K&N typhoon for the car

-Need to check the oil lines (i'm pretty sure the oil lines around the turbo are leaking)

-Buy a Bulletproof TMIC kit

-and I'm considering a VF52 turbo

My Subie will be happy after doing those things?

What are the top 5 or top 10 best replacements/upgrades to keep ones lgt 05-09 running smooth and happy?

Yes, UP means up pipe.

Other way 'round: tune car for intake. A Cobb AP is quite a wonderful diagnostic tool, as well as a performance tool, consider buying one!

A VF52 is a good upgrade, but will require fueling upgrades, too. Which means, down the rabbit hole you go!

Top 5 replacements include UP, DP, tune (that's Stage 2, right there) check oil, change oil often. Somewhere, a new motor is on that list, too. .

Yes, UP means up pipe.

Other way 'round: tune car for intake. A Cobb AP is quite a wonderful diagnostic tool, as well as a performance tool, consider buying one!

A VF52 is a good upgrade, but will require fueling upgrades, too. Which means, down the rabbit hole you go!

Top 5 replacements include UP, DP, tune (that's Stage 2, right there) check oil, change oil often. Somewhere, a new motor is on that list, too. .

Not necessarily, I've got a VF52 running perfectly happy on stock injectors (DW65 Fuel Pump though). It can be done on stock fueling, with a good tune, you just won't get max power that the 52 can put out.

From what I'm seeing here though, unless you need a new turbo now, save your money and put it towards repairs/maintenance. Get the car 100% healthy before modding. Good luck!

The $75 reference to NASIOC is the classifieds there looking for people selling their old OEM up pipes- I got mine from a STI owner who went with an expensive after market one ($180+).

Any used STI pipe is catless, as well as any 07+ LGT or WRX. Be sure it says catless. If you replace yourself, you will need a resistor mod to put in the wiring harness as our cars have an EGT sensor in the stock up pipe- catless up pipes do not have a bung for this sensor, so it goes away. The other option is to custom tune at the same time and have the code deleted.

As for the oil leaks, still keep an eye on the passenger side valve cover. My car just recently started leaking oil there onto the exhaust. My intercooler was also leaking blow-by oil from starting to separate- I got lucky and my shop had a slightly used unit to sell me for $100. Doing the BMB BP mod costs about the same, but should still be done for the longevity of the intercooler.

From what I'm seeing here though, unless you need a new turbo now, save your money and put it towards repairs/maintenance. Get the car 100% healthy before modding. Good luck!

Solid advice, thanks.

The $75 reference to NASIOC is the classifieds there looking for people selling their old OEM up pipes- I got mine from a STI owner who went with an expensive after market one ($180+).

That would be fantastic. Is that section in the forum? Would you be able to provide a link?

I am a little bit at a loss as to making sure I buy the correct UP.

Much thanks.

• 1 month later...

This is not the up-pipe IMO. I have one if you need it.

This looks like warped turbo seals. It could also be oil return line loose.

Remove the CAI immediately and replace with stock parts. Clean the MAF while you are in there. Do a synthetic oil change in 5w30 viscosity. My preference is Mobil1 EP. It has a great lubricity ad pack and cleaner ad pack. Clean the area around the oil leak completely. Use a gun cleaner but don't get on the paint. Drive it for a week and see the leak reoccurs and where exactly.

I expect you will need a new turbo when it is all said and done. Do you have service records? How many miles does it have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were recommending the UP to get rid of the cat- not recommending due to his oil leak issue.

Mobil 1 has a bad rep for our motors- something about being too thin or not enough of a certain metal? - Especially if you have a higher mileage motor.

Most recommend the heavier Shell Rotella T6- cheap and effective.

Archived