LegacyGT.com

Have a favorite Subie shop? Post it up

boxkita

Dropping a motor off at All wheel drive's new performance shop in Woodinville in the morning for HG work. Idk if it needs just hg or head work. They use C&D for their machine work, so I'm good.

They have a Dyna pack (sp) which connects to the hubs instead of rollers. Tempted to let them have a crack at a light tune on the racewagon. We'll see how the hg replacement goes first.

Any comments on your experience so far? I will be in need of a machine shop for a mild performance build in the near future and I'm struggling to get recommendations in the Seattle/PNW area.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads Up Inc in Auburn. Or C & D but they’re $$$.

Heads Up looks like they mainly do cyl. head repair? I'm gonna need some new pistons so I'll need the block bored. And yea C @ D's web site looks...expensive haha, but I'll keep them in mind when the time comes, thanks!

Heads Up looks like they mainly do cyl. head repair? I'm gonna need some new pistons so I'll need the block bored. And yea C @ D's web site looks...expensive haha, but I'll keep them in mind when the time comes, thanks!

C & D is expensive, however, well-deserved rep for quality. As a private customer, you'll be behind all the shops. If you pay a shop, you skip the wait. It took about 3 days to get my heads checked. Have no idea how it would have been to have them redone. But definitely less than the 3 months quote I received.

Good to know. Has anyone around here had any experience with Action machine? Their name seems to come up a lot too. I've heard they are "expensive" as well. I've got the time, the car isn't something that needs to get done ASAP and I'm the kind of person that likes to look into multiple options before making a decision is all. Also I'm not going to say money is no object but I don't have a problem saving up a little for good work. I'm also not afraid of teardown and reassembly so I'd like a shop that's willing to work with me and that I can talk to about what they need/want.

Action did the machine work on my heads and block years ago when I had to rebuild with assembly completed at home with the help of a couple friends. In regards to quality the rebuilt motor has seen 100k of daily driven miles on a forged build with zero issues.

Great write up. Thanks.

(Thanks button disabled)

• 2 months later...

Bummer, creaking would be irritating.

I removed my gauges and CarPC for the airbag job because I figured it was not reasonable to expect them to figure out how to deal the huge tangle of crap I have buried in the dashboard. My other two cars are stock though.

• 1 year later...

i had mine done at the subaru in puyallup. Took about 45 minutes. Dash didn't get messed up, so counted it as a good job.

The current process replaces the airbag through the glovebox so no need to remove the dash. Any shop removing the dash is having an apprentice doing the work. Ask. for the senior tech to do the replacement.

And expect the shop to ask if you want to sell your car.

i had mine done at the subaru in puyallup. Took about 45 minutes. Dash didn't get messed up, so counted it as a good job.

The current process replaces the airbag through the glovebox so no need to remove the dash. Any shop removing the dash is having an apprentice doing the work. Ask. for the senior tech to do the replacement.

And expect the shop to ask if you want to sell your car.

From what I recall, it's a completely different process for the facelift models, as opposed to the simple process for the prefacelift models.

I was reading up on Tacoma Subarus reviews on Yelp and Google. I'm not sure I wanna go there now...

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...