LegacyGT.com

Have a favorite Subie shop? Post it up

boxkita

That's lame!

I've read too many bad reviews on SS to consider going there, but I've always heard good things about AWD.

I'd suggest saving up a bit of work, if you're going to drive down to PIA, to make it worth your time. There isn't much to do down there while you wait, other than go to the library a small block away.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest saving up a bit of work, if you're going to drive down to PIA, to make it worth your time. There isn't much to do down there while you wait, other than go to the library a small block away.

SC

it is rough. very rough.

my only issue was the car cutting out 2 weeks ago with no warnings and brake shake. if im right it may be bad gas and possibly the non factory 02 sesor SS shorline installed that i just paid to have replaced.

i have july appt at pia for build and possible vf52.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Metro Metric in Portland has been my go-to shop for years, though they aren't specifically a Subaru shop. I got separate recommendations for them specifically for Subarus from two of my friends completely independently of each other, which I took to be a really good sign. I have had only positive experiences with them in the few times I've needed to take mine in (I do nearly all my own work), and my ex-wife takes her OBS there and has also had really good experiences with them. I think that speaks volumes, since she knows nothing about cars and they don't make her feel stupid or inferior.

http://www.metrometric.com/

Metro Metric in Portland has been my go-to shop for years, though they aren't specifically a Subaru shop. I got separate recommendations for them specifically for Subarus from two of my friends completely independently of each other, which I took to be a really good sign. I have had only positive experiences with them in the few times I've needed to take mine in (I do nearly all my own work), and my ex-wife takes her OBS there and has also had really good experiences with them. I think that speaks volumes, since she knows nothing about cars and they don't make her feel stupid or inferior.

http://www.metrometric.com/

What sorts of things have they done for you?

Preferred place for alignments? I know this has been asked here before, and I remember the Redmond Firestone being mentioned, but that was years ago, and now in 2017 I actually need an alignment. Somewhere on the south side of Seattle would be awesome.

Preferred place for alignments? I know this has been asked here before, and I remember the Redmond Firestone being mentioned, but that was years ago, and now in 2017 I actually need an alignment. Somewhere on the south side of Seattle would be awesome.

I've been going to the Firestone on MLK for a few years now. Friendly guys and they take care of business. Bonus points for the lifetime alignment deal you pay one fee ($150 maybe? Can't remember exactly) for lifetime alignment services.. pays for itself in 2 trips

I've been going to the Firestone on MLK for a few years now. Friendly guys and they take care of business. Bonus points for the lifetime alignment deal you pay one fee ($150 maybe? Can't remember exactly) for lifetime alignment services.. pays for itself in 2 trips

OK, I'll probably go there- its so damn close.

FWIW, the Firestone down in Renton is chock full of incompetent thieves.

I've been looking at getting alignment machine. Found a place with a payment plan. Looks like I need to do 1 alignment a week at $100 each to break even. Just need 50 to sign up. Pm me for more details.

Well that's it....we'll never see the Silver Eagle on the track again!

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

What sorts of things have they done for you?

Replaced the rear differential solenoid on the 97 OBS (there's a solenoid back there that is known for failing, but I can't remember specifically what it's called); post-purchase inspection for my 2005 OBW, in which they provided me a laundry list of things that needed repair, short- and long-term; recently had them loosen a lower strut mount bolt on the '05 that was so tight none of my tools, including air, could get it loose.

That's what I can think of right off the top of my head. As I said, I do most of my own work so I only go to them when there's something I either can't do or don't want to do badly enough to be willing to pay shop prices. I know my ex-wife has taken the OBS in a few times since we split up but I'm not certain what she's had done. Brake stuff, I think, maybe some other ongoing maintenance for a car that has 140,000 on it. The fact that I trust them to work on her car without my intervention says a lot though. As a rule I don't trust any (professional) mechanics until they've proven they are worth trusting.

The owner of the shop, Ron, is a friendly guy who works there with the others (not sure how much actual repair work he does these days) and will come out and talk with you about your vehicle when needed, which I appreciate.

In my DSM days I used Omni Brake and Alignment in Kirkland ( http://www.omnibrake.com/ ). They were easy to work with and would even align to requested specs if that was possible with your setup. It's been years since I've been in the area but would be willing to give them a shot again.

-Todd

That amazing alignment guy at Redmond Firestone is no longer there.

Actually, I no longer do alignments anymore. I just don't have a rack to do it on all the time like I used to.

Sorry guys....:p

• 2 weeks later...
When looking for an alignment shop, make sure you get one that does more than good enough. There have been postings on here of alignments that were worse when done than when started.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. Honestly all I've done is swap the LCA's, so its not way off or anything...but I figure alignments pay for themselves in tire wear.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. Honestly all I've done is swap the LCA's, so its not way off or anything...but I figure alignments pay for themselves in tire wear.

I never tested before c/o, but you might weight your car close to how you drive when you take it in.

When doing the corner balance for c/o, it makes a difference where the weight is in your car and affects the alignment slightly.

YMMV

As far as dealerships go I'm not the biggest fan of going to the dealer for work to be done. However my experience today with Eastside Subaru in Kirkland was absolutely fantastic. I got on the list yesterday for the dash extended warranty and had the dash replaced today. Dropped my car off at 9:30 this morning and they immediately grabbed it and got to work. Gave me a loaner for the day and then I came back around 4 to check on everything and they took me back into the shop to see the car as the tech was putting it back together. Got it back around 4:40 and was on my way home. It hadn't occurred to me at first but they must have written down all my radio presets since when I started driving home all my presets were still there. Definitely A+ customer service and work quality. Also helps that the Service Advisor I talked to is also an LGT owner and is one of the best service advisors in the area as far as I've heard.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Thanks for that write up about Eastside. I don't want to take my car to Walkers, and I'm unsure of Scarff. Chaplins is definitely out.

Do you recall which service writer you had?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited