LegacyGT.com

Bent Control Arms

MikeyMikes

I just went to the a local goodyear to get an alignment done because I noticed my steering was slightly off. After they put it up on the racks with the computer my front was fine but my rear was all sorts of messed up. Apparently my rear lower control arms are bent and this is causing severe toe and camber. Idk how this happened, they said improper towing or an accident but I just bought the car and I don't know of anything like that. They recommended all new struts and springs and new lower control arms. The car drives ok still but I am now looking for a whole new suspension. I also think this could be causing my squeaks but let me know if anyone else has had or heard of this problem.

They did not give me the print out of the alignment but was sure to give me a $1500 bill estimate for all new parts and labor. They only pulled me aside to tell me what they were seeing and on my receipt wrote severe toe and camber. They said normal camber should be something like .05 in the rear (which would show up green) and I was at .55 (which was heavy in the red). Basically they just told me the control arms looked bent and when they would push up on it it would go into the green. I just would like to know how severe this really is and how soon I should get new control arms and also shocks n struts. Im at 130k on body, 2k on new SB and turbo.

It may be as simple as worn out bushings. Regardless, If it's that bad out of alignment, it needs fixed. Go to another shop, explain the situation, maybe you can talk them into putting it on the alignment rack for a second opinion under the pretense that if it really does need work done you will do it with them. I will add that out of everything I have done to my wagon, and that list is extensive, removing the rear upper castor linkage to replace it with the WL adjustable was one of the most difficult things I have had to do. The castor bolt was completely seized and had to be cut out on both sides.

unless they show you an alignment sheet, goodyear is full of crap.

Having said that, the rear LGT alignment adjustments are very limited. no rear camber adjustability and only limited range eccentric bolts for toe. a generic shop like goodyear may not understand that and if they see any numbers they don't like they will just throw parts at the car with the mentality that new is fixed.

go to another place, preferably one that has a reputation for doing work for enthusiasts. if there is a autox community in the area, take your car where ever they go as they get precise alignments done like every other week and the people that do them always know their stuff.

im about to go through with that. just ordered both arms oem and all hardware for $163. how did you cut yours. im thinking a recipricating saw

Just did mine a couple of months ago. Its much easier if you drop the exhaust on from the DP back. I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Sawzall would have worked better though.

Archived