LegacyGT.com

Oil mist behind turbo

No I thought that as well but what happens is when the car is running you can see a small oil mist coming from what looks like under the turbo where it meets the up pipe. . It's hard to see so I'm going to stick a remote camera in that area.. The oil runs down the downpipe and smokes like crazy which is what I was seeing.

The dealers have the correct one. Very easy to find one there.

You need to use oil resistent hose, NAPA will will some. I'm guessing 1/2 or 5/8 will work.

By the time you buy a piece of each...you could have gotten the correct one from the dealer.

I wonder if one of the vendors on here is making a steel braided one yet...HINT HINT HINT,,,Hey underdog...think you could do that ?

I'm stupid, I should have grabbed a piece out of my sons basement, I'm sure we have some leftover from the race car. I made 90% of the hoses on that car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I went to Napa and they gave me a braded rubber oil resistant hose.. I can't use it, way too stiff to bend to make the connection to the turbo, I could get it if I cut the hose shorter but I don't trust not having enough rubber on the pipes so I'm just going to get the hose from the dealer.. hopefully it wont be friken a stiff reinforced oil hose.

I was assuming you were removing the turbo to install the hose.

The tube from the turbo bolts on...doesn't it ? but still if your not removing the turbo that would be a PITA too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

double nuts, one on top of the other and tightened against each other.

I cant imagine why he is trying to remove any studs. The uppipe has studs that the turbo bolts to, and the turbo has studs that the downpipe bolts to. When changing out the oil drain hose I'd imagine you'd want ro remove the downpipe and turbo.

Most have seen this, but this is how I handled the studs so they don't cause problems later on.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

The bolts are the same ones that bolt the up pipe bracket to the block. The dealer has them in stock.

Or you can buy them from the link I put in JmP6889928 sticky. post #128

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238p4.html

See the bolt to the far right that the turbo mounts to the up pipe? It's a stud without a 6 point head.. I dunno how the hell they got it on and why they did not correct it.. I have small hands so just taking the downpipe off was enough room for me to stick both hands to make the worm clamps tight.

I believe that it's a stud on everyone's engine unless they deliberately replace it with a bolt as Max has done. The up pipe and down pipe are mounted with studs.

hmm really? Any reason as to why?

Why is that stud bothering you? Every car has it from the factory, and it works just fine. The up-pipe stud makes it easy to install/remove the turbo. You just remove the bolt that secures the turbo onto the stud, and the turbo lifts up off the stud. And the turbo has a couple studs that help mount the down-pipe to it. I find those studs helpful for keeping the gasket in place and installing the down-pipe.

There is no reason for you to want to remove the stud from the up-pipe. I just don't understand what you are trying to do.

I found it much easier to set the turbo on the up pipe, while lining up the oil return hose and turbo inlet hose. IMO it was a PITA doing that when I put the vf52 on. I went to bolts when I put the ej257 in.

You'll want to leave the studs in the turbo outlet. They aid in installing the DP.

That stud your seeing may have had a nut on it at one time, it just fell off.

Archived