LegacyGT.com

P0171 code - how do I check MAF?

OK besides my upstream O2 sensor code (already changed out) I also got P0171 Bank 1 lean indicating a vacuum leak. I finally got my fog machine hooked up this afternoon (just try finding fog machine juice after Halloween!) and found nada. Hooked it up at the air intake after the intake box/MAF, which by the way I cleaned yesterday. It was pretty black.

I tried it just sitting and also running... nothing. It was in a fairly dark garage with flashlights so any wisp of smoke would be readily visible. Soooo... next step I guess is to check the MAF. How do I do that?

ETA: Forgot to mention, yesterday I sprayed Brakleen all around under the hood and never heard RPMs go up. Tried it around every air flowing and vacuum hose I saw. And yes it was the flammable kind.

I know you said that you did a smoke test, but I wonder about that T under the intercooler that people are always having problems with. I wonder if you'd be able to see smoke coming from that vacuum line since it's under the intercooler?

Well i cant be 100% sure except that I did it in a dark garage using a flashlight. If there was the slightest whisp of smoke anywhere I think (hope) I would have seen it. I did look under the TMIC as well as I could from both sides and saw nothing. Since I am not throwing a MAF code I think it probably is indeed a vacuum leak. Maybe my little fog machine didnt have enough oomph...though I didnt see anything with it running either.

It is definitely worth the 15 minute job to pull your intercooler and check\ reinforce the lines going to the blue tee. Seat the lines as firmly as you can and then zip tie them in place. I actually double zip tied them because the failures were annoying me. If any of.the hoses feel brittle or suspect, replace them. The zip tying applies to both ends of the hoses.

I swapped out all the hoses when I put the new turbo in. I think all yhe hoses were zip tied. They should have been, but of course something could have been missed. And I just put on a new, bigger TMIC. I guess I can pull it all apart...will the car run without the TMIC hooked up?

I used soapy water and sprayed everything I could see and didnt see any bubbles develope bue CEL/flashing cruise is still on and its idling rough. Im going to try to get these 2 gauges installed and take it to a shop for smoke test/diag.

I have looked up gauge install/wiring how to's and there is a lot of conflicting advice. Not sure what Im gonna do there.

Archived