LegacyGT.com

New TMIC & a new whine

I bought a new/bigger TMIC months ago and just installed it today. Everything went ok. I noticed the orange rubber gasket on the turbo to I/C connection had squished into the air flow a little. I didnt mess with it and put it all together.

On the test drive I get a whine on acceleration that is not there on reving up in park. I am guessing it could be that gasket vibrating like when you pinch a baloon but just a guess since I cant recreate it under the hood. I am going to trim it and see if it goes away. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Also can I use gasket sealant if it is torn or do I have to use a fitted gasket?

Actually no since I cant reproduce the sound parked. I am going to get some MAF cleaner and clean it for grins and use the rest of that or starter fluid to check for vacuum leak. I have a fog machine for halloween. I have heard of using that for a smoke test. I might try that too

Right, you don't build boost unless you have a load or have a two step, anti-lag,...

You might want to pick a small block chevy thermostat gasket and use that at the turbo to tmic joint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Got a Felpro

Return it, if you can. The 738 is literally a better gasket and is 112% infinitely reuseable. Think about how many times you'll take that TMIC off, or separate the turbo for some reason -- you really wanna buy a new FelPro gasket each time?

Swapped it out. Guy thought I was crazy returning a coolant housing gasket for one twicw as much. When I told him I was putting it on a Subaru he just walked away muttering. :)

I tend not to engage the guys at most chain auto parts stores, with the exception of some local NAPAs and National Auto Parts. The others see too many ricer kids who just bought their first turbo Subaru and want to fill it with LEDs, fartcans, and free healthcare.

Swapped it out. Guy thought I was crazy returning a coolant housing gasket for one twicw as much. When I told him I was putting it on a Subaru he just walked away muttering. :)

Love it when you do that...they don't have a clue yet they think they know it all. Well some of them.

Hey at least they have a job and not just collecting...When my son worked at Advance Auto parts for a short time, he came home one day and said, "dad, can you believe those guy's say this is there dream job"

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived