LegacyGT.com

5EAT and the Handbrake

Anyone know if the autos automatically disengage the centre diff on an auto (with manual shift mode)? Mine is an LGT auto 5 speed and ironically I can't find any info on this. I can't imagine an auto tranny wouldn't do this to protect itself but I honestly have no idea.

Why would it matter if it's used for parking or emergencies? ;) I've done it and most likely others have too, but I wouldn't use it a "ton" to start a little drift action. but I don't think it disengages when you pull it. If I remember right (been almost a year since I've drove my car) the car didn't seem to have any hesitation when pulled.

You would have to start your turn in, pop the tranny into neutral, pull brake, pop back it to gear, power through slide and hope you don't screw up that sequence.

I could be wrong but I wouldn't want to trash something for a cool parking lot drift.... Get an old 5 speed Subie and trash that just as fun in the snow IMO

No, I use the ebrake fairly regularly during winter driving. I always have the car nearly sideways before doing so but I'll often grab a quick pull to make it do exactly what I want. And yeah, it doesn't feel like the centre diff is disengaging but its hard to say for sure. I just find it odd that an auto tranny wouldn't disengage the diff. But I guess since the manuals don't either (except for STI DCCD) then I shouldn't be too surprised. I used to use the handbrake a lot in my old WRX as well and never had any diff problems. In my rally car I didn't have to worry about it because I had a STI diff with aftermarket DCCD controller.

Archived