LegacyGT.com

Best Winter tire for highway driving?

JohnQx25

Looking for a good winter tire and do most of my driving on highway/paved roads, with the occasional un-plowed side street. Getting ready for unpredictable New England weather...

Looking at General Altimax and Hancook i*Cept right now...

The Altimax Arctic is a studdable "ice and snow" tire winter, not a performance winter. Two different types of tire, for two different winter conditions. A good tire for severe snowy and icy conditions, if you stud it. But not what I would call a highway winter tire.

What are your priorities for your winter tires?

Rank the following in order of importance to you:

Snow Traction

Ice Traction

Resistance to Slush Planing

Resistance to Hydroplaning

Dry Handling & Braking

Wet Handling & Braking

Longevity

Noise

Price

Most likely will go with a Performance Winter and sacrifice a bit of snow traction for some additional dry/wet handling seeing as I commute via highway 5 days a week.

Dry Handling & Braking

Noise

Price

Snow Traction

Ice Traction

Resistance to Slush Planing

Resistance to Hydroplaning

WetHandling & Braking

Longevity

Most likely will go with a Performance Winter and sacrifice a bit of snow traction for some additional dry/wet handling seeing as I commute via highway 5 days a week………...

Smart choice. You may encounter "slim pickings" this late in the season.

I love my General Altimax Artics. I actually like handling of them on dry pavement. Great turn in, great grip. Not really noisy. Its a big blocky tread so in some circumstances it can be a little squirrely, but nothing that's really bothered me.

It's definitely a great winter tire, but not a serious high performance tire.

Can't beat it for the price.

I see you live in Natick.. which is where I live. My advice... any winter tire is fine.. studded isn't allowed in the city sometimes.. it really messes up the roads and will be hell on the highway.

I drive every day into Boston and I've been fine for 14 years on all season tires that have plenty of meat on them. I wouldn't be worried so much. You're stuck on the highway that gets plowed a lot, so as long as you're not out there before they get out (I admit it's really fun)... you'll be perfectly fine.

I've run with Michelin aplin, "bear claw?" Dunlop M3 for the family minivan.. and there was no big difference in between any of them. The Dunlop got really noisy once they started to wear. Also, I can't remember which tire it was, it might have been another one... but once it wore past 6/32 in tread depth it was essentially an all season rubber.

Ended up going with the Hankook Winter i*cept. More of a Performance winter tire than traditional snow. So far they've been great on dry pavement in cold temps. I drive mostly on the highway so these were best suited for all winter conditions.

I've driven them in some pretty heavy rain and they performed well. Havent tested in the snow yet, and I'm assuming they wont be as great as a regular snow tire, but I'm expecting them to be much improved in snow over my previous all(no)-seasons.

Not noticing a ton of road noise/vibration, Nice looking tire as well.

http://i.imgur.com/Jio5NXG.jpg?1

^ I just put a set of these on my Ford Transit, so far pretty happy with them also, It was suppose to snow here yesterday, but got heavy rain, they handle quite well in a panic stop in NYC last night, And they are running $70 back on a set of 4

Archived