LegacyGT.com

Differential Cradle Bolt Removal Help needed

So I'm working on installing my AVO sway bar brackets, but the 19mm bolts on the diff cradle won't budge. My 550 ft/lbs impact was not doing it. So I removed the rear wheels and fender liners since I found some holes above the top of where the bolts go into the unibody and have been shooting pb blaster in there since last night. Is there a way to access this from the top trunk area so I can actually see if I'm soaking the top of the bolt? I'm going to hit it with the impact again once everyone wakes up here to see if what I've already been doing has worked. For some reason thicker sway bars are not a reason everyone has to hear an impact before 7am :lol:

Any tips would be appreciated. I don't think I can hit this with a torch unless I also have some new bushings on hand, and when the old ones melt in there that would be pretty nasty.

I used AeroKroil on that bolt a few weeks back. I bought a 1/2" impact universal from Harbor Fright, and had to go back and forth in the off/on direction about 10 times before the nut spun off, then the bolt just pushed out with a slight push.

I could see the nut move about a 1/16th of a turn, then like I said about 10 times later it spun off. I did let the gun hit it in the off direction for about 10 seconds then changed the direction.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Still no go with the bolts. Soaked with pb blaster from the holes in the unibody overnight, then hit with a 550 ft/lbs impact. I'll soak them some more and see if that helps. Still not sure if I could get to the top of the bolts through the hatchback for a better soak. Wondering if there is a different way to reinforce these? Or if I can somehow get a torch on these? Not sure if I'll be able to use these brackets.:mad:

Smack the bolt directly on the head straight into the direction it's threaded in several times with a BFH. Make SURE you don't hit any expensive parts (as BFH's are inclined to do on their own) that a BFH can destroy and then, as Byron said, go back and forth a couple of seconds at a time with your impact. Do this 10-12 times and if they don't come loose, use the BFH again and then the impact again and it should shock the threads loose in their hole. Do this several times and they should come loose.

Good luck.

BFH 3 times did it on the passenger side. It took about 40 hits on the driver side. Finally got the brackets on and realized my end links (Moog) are too short. I'll have to run the stockers while I wait for new ones. Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah, had some laying around so put it on everything. It's a favor for the next guy on those 19mm bolts since I don't plan on touching them ever again. This swaybar project took way to long. I swear every other bolt needed to be torched.

Archived