LegacyGT.com

What size snow tires should I run on my OEM 17's?

Akasa

I've tried to do some searching, but this sites search engine is so unrefined. I just cannot for the life of me grasp the concept of figuring out what size tires I should use. I know there's stickies, but they only seem to help so much. :mad:

I'm running the OEM 05-06 LGT rims, which are 17x7" with a 55mm Offset. My OEM tire is 215/45r17, and that's also my current tire size. I'm planning on making these rims my winter rims, since the previous owner used these rims as curb feelers.

Once summer comes around i'll be dropping the car about 2 inches, so that being said, what is my best option for winter tire sizes on these rims? Should I buy a set of 215/45r17's or should I use something different? (I plan on using Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's.)

I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

Crap shoot. 225's will work and you get better cornering in the dry. Narrower will get you better control control in slush, but not new snow. Old snow narrower is better. As a rule:lol:

My preference is the deepest tread (IE rain tests) and dry tests.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I'm running 225 Blizzacks. No snow yet, but a smoother ride.

I am running the same. I used to run Toyo Garrit's, but the Blizzacks are better in the dry.The Toyo's were much better in slush and snow.On the other hand Toyo's are VERY pricey.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

………...I'm running the OEM 05-06 LGT rims, which are 17x7" with a 55mm Offset. My OEM tire is 215/45r17, and that's also my current tire size. I'm planning on making these rims my winter rims,……...

First choice: 215/45R17

Second choice: 205/50R17

Third choice: 225/45R17

I went with 215 55 17 for some extra sidewall comfort.

On your LGT? I'm surprised that you are not rubbing the fenders. That's about a 1.7" increase in diameter over the stock 215/45R17 tires.

There is someone here who runs a 215/50R17 without rubbing. But with a 0.9" larger diameter, there is a significant speedometer error, and a significant mismatch with the diameter of the spare tire.

On your LGT? I'm surprised that you are not rubbing the fenders. That's about a 1.7" increase in diameter over the stock 215/45R17 tires.

There is someone here who runs a 215/50R17 without rubbing. But with a 0.9" larger diameter, there is a significant speedometer error, and a significant mismatch with the diameter of the spare tire.

Oops! My mistake. I run the 215/55R17 snows on my 3.0R. The stock 3.0R tire size is 215/45R18, so it's only a .69" increase in diameter for that car. Since the 3.0R Limited uses the Spec B Bilstein struts, it may not be a fair comparison to the basic LGTs. I just don't know.

See attached pics for the large clearance I still have. I haven't had any rubbing yet.

DSC_0006.thumb.jpg.89d7966725454c9e23dc0fce9cc2d488.jpg

DSC_0007.thumb.jpg.9083c8b3131806cc5b1d061352249ca6.jpg

Archived