LegacyGT.com

Subaru Dealership will not accept return on incorrect part.

I just wanted to vent to you all.

Here's my story:

I decided to overhaul the suspension on my 2005 LGT sedan. With 145,000 miles, the tophats were overdue for replacement. I sent my TEIN basic coilovers back for refurbishment, and ordered new tophats from the dealer.

I described my vehicle clearly, and the salesperson ordered the parts.

Spoiler alert: he ordered the wrong parts.

Fast forward to installation. Car is up on a lift, working late with my friend at his shop. Everything going smoothly, new bushings in control arms, old suspension out... Top hats on coilovers - oh ****, they don't fit.

Fortunately, my friend can order replacement parts from kyb overnight.

We install everything the next morning, and I go to return the incorrect parts.

The dealership will not accept them because I don't have the plastic bags that came with them.

Despite them selling me the top hat for every other model in 2005 except outback/legacy, they claim that it's on me because I didn't keep the bags with the part numbers on them, and they can't return the parts to Subaru as a result.

My position is that if they had sold me the correct part in the first place, I would accept the plastic bag excuse, and eat the cost of the parts.

BUT, because they sold me the wrong part, they should honor the return and deal with reselling them.

What do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable here?

you can look up the correct part yourself....here...http://parts.subaru.com. I never make it a habit to trust the parts guys, even at a dealer, I always do my own research.

If you bought the wrong Moen faucet at Home Depot wouldn't you return it in the box that it came in?

you can look up the correct part yourself....here...http://parts.subaru.com. I never make it a habit to trust the parts guys, even at a dealer, I always to my own research.

If you bought the wrong Moen faucet at Home Depot wouldn't you return it in the box that it came in?

Right, but that comes in a box. I'm guessing that the tophats literally only came in a bag with the PNs and barcode on them, amiright?

regardless of what they came in, you need to have the packaging to return something....that would be my stand if I was them anyway.

From their standpoint, how do they know the actual part number of the tophat without the packaging? If you can prove it is the wrong one, and show when it was purchased, you have an argument.

For what it is worth, I agree with you, but its not that easy.

Right, but that comes in a box. I'm guessing that the tophats literally only came in a bag with the PNs and barcode on them, amiright?

Tris, don't get caught up in minutia when policy and good common sense are the issue.

If the manager will not accommodate you and you paid by CC just leave them on the counter and dispute the sale. They can find new plastic bags and resell them.

Always use your credit card for problems such as this!

This is tough because I can understand where both sides are coming from. Ultimately I agree with you and feel that the dealer should take the parts back. Not sure if you're trying to return the fronts or the backs, but my front top hats have the part number stamped right on them. So to me, having the part number stamped on the actual product should make not having the plastic bag less of an issue. If all else fails you could try reselling them on here or ebay, but hopefully everything works out and you don't have to do that.

*Edit: Excuse my suspension ignorance. I thought "top hats" and "strut mounts" were the same things. But after looking around I might be wrong?

strut.mount.thumb.jpg.80db0440140f058635914ac3ff718bbd.jpg

They ordered the wrong part number. The mistake is on them. They need to accept their mistake regardless of packaging. You ordered and paid for them in good faith. Not your mistake but theirs.

The dealership is wrong and needs to accept them back and order replacement packaging. You should not be inconvenienced by their ineptitude. Now you know why everyone calls it "The Stealership".

Exactly what JJR said. If you used a credit card, call them and dispute the charge and tell them why and explain that you tried to give them back. They will stand behind you on this.

The issue IS on them. You shouldn't be responsible for the parts guy ordering the wrong parts. Any good dealership should gladly take them back, and apologize to you for the mixup on top of that.

Do you have any type of receipt for the parts? That should be enough.

The issue IS on them. You shouldn't be responsible for the parts guy ordering the wrong parts. Any good dealership should gladly take them back, and apologize to you for the mixup on top of that.

Do you have any type of receipt for the parts? That should be enough.

issue is ultimately on OP....

HE OPENED THE PARTS. I am sure the dealer would have taken the parts back if he had not opened them and threw away the plastic bags

HE INSTALLED THE PARTS. Dealer definitely will not take them back

Anyone who works on cars will tell you to COMPARE what you have to what was ordered. I have been working on cars for 30+ years and I have always brought my parts to compare to what I ordered... Sure dealer ordered wrong parts but it was ultimately up to the OP to make SURE he had the right parts and HE FAILED to do so.

Sorry you guys cannot understand that.....

I've been on both sides of that. I worked Subaru parts (and aftermarket) for a while, plus I buy a lot of shiznit these days fixing up beaters. A few things to note:

you can't 'order replacement bags'. lol. They could affix a handwritten tag to the mounts and shelve them. . .if used on a car that was in for service, nobody would care as the customer would never see the unboxed/unbagged part until it was on the car. Doubtful they want to sit on a set of slow-moving mounts that long tho.

-when describing your vehicle, did he ask for a VIN? if so, did you provide it?

-When you realized the parts were wrong, did you give the dealership a chance to remedy the situation? (nope. . .bought them from another source)

-When attempting to return them, did you provide a receipt?

If it were me behind the counter I would have begrudgingly accepted them and refunded, but that's me.

• Moderators

Whenever I talk to dealers, they always want the last 8 digits of the VIN. OP, did the dealer ask for this info and order parts based on this? If so, they ordered the wrong part and it's on them. Similarly, if they didn't bother to ask for this information to confirm fitment, I think it's on them.

If you chose not provide a VIN, or were ordering a part not specific for your car as it came from the factory, I would say it's on you--but it doesn't sound like that was the case.

Did you provide VIN info?

EDIT: lockmedic beat me to it :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

i just spent 3 years in a subaru dealership and i can tell you the reason they do not want to return them for you is because without the packaging they are stuck with them and cannot return to subaru, thus being said cross your "T's" and dot your "I's" so to speak and make sure that is is 100% there fault, nothing should be looked up without the VIN for this is a nightmare with subaru. If you gave them your VIN and stated clearly what you wanted then its on them for having the wrong parts, so throw that in there face and mention that you trusted them as a dealer that they were correct and thats the reason you did not keep the orig packaging. If all else fails call subaru of america yourself they are VERY willing to help the average customer, hope this solves your problem and good luck!

Yes, but everyone makes mistakes. The dealer I worked at years ago would do the same. They would take returns on any part as long as it was unused and had the original bags. That way they can return it to Subaru. {in my case it was nissan} moral of the story, never throw away packaging till you are sure it's right. It's that way for any product, not just the dealer. Also, in some cases there can be different parts for mid year design changes, or various other reasons. Not saying this happened, I'm just saying the parts business is not always an exact science. I've had to eat a 200 dollar bumper for an old car I had because my own boss got the part # wrong and I painted it without testing it first. So I have been on both sides of this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived