LegacyGT.com

Tire width

I recently sold my '05 LGT wagon with stock wheels, on which I always had 215/45R17 tires. I bought another '05 LGT wagon with the same stock wheels, and it came with 225/45 tires. I need new tires, and I'm trying to figure out if I should go with 215s or 225s. What are the pros and cons of the wider-than-stock tires?

If it makes a difference, the other car was 100% stock, and this one has a 3" DP and Stage 2.

Wider tires will get you a slightly larger contact patch, so better grip. 225/45R17 is also a more common size, so tires could be cheaper depending on what brand you end up buying.

225 will no have any rubbing issues on stock wheels. Only con I can really think of is they are heavier.

Only con I can really think of is they are heavier.

You're right about wider tires being a few pounds heavier, but this isn't the only con...

Also, OP's gas mileage will decrease. Wider contact patch means more grip, which also means more rolling resistance. Not sure how much of a hit we're talking about, but it will be noticeable.

Less important, but still a con to throw in the mix... 225 is starting to be too wide for a 7" wheel. Without wheel to support the sidewall, wider tires can result in an increase in tire flex. If the sidewall is soft to begin with, you may have a looser or slightly "delayed" feeling in terms of steering response.

When it comes down to it, we're talking about a small (half a centimeter on either side of the wheel), and nearly insignificant amount of rubber... either way, you'll be fine. Try running the 225s for a while and you'll understand the nuanced differences :)

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I suggest getting the stock 215 tire size. This will keep the gas mileage better and give you a more solid side wall. You want your tires to be almost 1" wider than your wheels to be a perfect size, with no side wall bulging or stretch. This 215 tire size will give you little to no side wall flex when turning if inflated properly.

If you are looking for more grip and acceleration. Get a 7.5" wide wheel and run the 225s. If you're keeping them stock run the 215s

I suggest getting the stock 215 tire size. This will keep the gas mileage better and give you a more solid side wall. You want your tires to be almost 1" wider than your wheels to be a perfect size, with no side wall bulging or stretch. This 215 tire size will give you little to no side wall flex when turning if inflated properly.

If you are looking for more grip and acceleration. Get a 7.5" wide wheel and run the 225s. If you're keeping them stock run the 215s

Go with the 225's. I've been running them on my stock wheels for the past 100K miles plus. As far as gas mileage I never noticed any difference and my spedo runs fast with 215's and by my GPS it perfect with the 225's.

Go with the 225's. I've been running them on my stock wheels for the past 100K miles plus. As far as gas mileage I never noticed any difference and my spedo runs fast with 215's and by my GPS it perfect with the 225's.

Here is a little info I pulled off of the Master wheel and tire thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

Once you decide on the rim size, the tire width you want to run, here are your final tire choices. Note that not all tires are built the same way, so sometimes you'll find two different tire models with the same size (225/45/17), but one can fit on a 7" rim, while the other one will need a 7.5". You'll have to look around the manufacturers' specs on sectional width of the tire.. normally you want your rim width be no more than 1.5" less than the tire's sectional width. For example, if you have a 8" wide rim, your tire's sectional width shouldn't be more than 9.5" or you'll have to deal with the flex on the tire sidewalls. Most performance driving set ups are 1" difference (ie. a 8" wide rim with 9" wide tire).

I suggest 215s for this very reason above, the 215 tire is already 1.4 inches above the wheel size so by getting a 225 tire you will be increasing the size wall bulge. Side wall bulge will ruin your handing. It's basic geometrics.

OP I suggest you take the facts and Information we have all given you and make your own God given choice. Don't let anyone tell you to "go with 225s" and force something upon you.

Archived