LegacyGT.com

Do I need a tune?

recently bought an 08 legacy spec b. It came with a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust. Its SPT. No check engine lights from it. I believe the car had an after market intake at one point. Because the stock one was installed loose. It also has a process west top mount, Turbo heat shield. Just wondering. Should I get this car protuned for engine safety. Its plenty fast. So Im not looking to grab higher power. Just want to make sure my car is running clean. It does back fire on every gear change. IDk if that means its to rich or what... WHat do you guys think. 08 legacy spec 8. 2.5 turbo model.

The ecu can be tuned via opensource using the tactrix cable or you can purchase a cobb and have a map built using its software.

Check out my website for details in the tech support section. That should answer any questions you might have.

http://www.cryotuneperformance.com

Let me know if you have any other questions and hope this is helpful to you.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Awesome post for my question. Thanks. With my turbo back exhaust. Top mount. And prob a new kn intake panel filter. I think I'm gonna go for a tune. Not looking for more power. Just a good running safe engine. One more question though. When a tube is performed. Can the sport mode button still be used? Can my Eco mode run extra low boost? And just have the sport sharp tuned for a little more power. Or what's the deal. My 05 didn't ha e this equipment

My Spec B has been on a custom tune and is now on Cobb stage 2. The car has three different power level/responce feelings on both MAP's.

I also believe you can also have the 3 choices tuned out.

Like most people the three settings are nice to have. You can watch the MPG increase as you drive in I mode.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

yeah, I can def feel the power changes on each pre programed mode. I/S/S#. What I would like to know. Is if I get a pro tune, can I have them directly linked to the mode selector in the car, or do I need to add the cobb? I would like to at least look factory as possible. I am also stating to think my car has an aftermarket turbo. Im pretty sure I found one of the best 08 spec b in my state. Ive never seen the bottom of a car look so clean. has 60 k miles. looks 5 k miles old.

Each hour I spend on the car I find more things. Like timing belt has already been replaced. All the oil caps and battery tie down have been replaced with aluimium cobb pieces. Its an awesome car. I wanna do my best to keep it show quality looks and drive wise.

You have two options for tuning -- Open Source, or Cobb, which is a proprietary system. Both technically just re-write the air/fuel/timing tables in the ECU to produce a specific result. The Cobb AP isn't something that must be hooked up at all times --though you can, to monitor while driving -- but, it's pretty much a flash-and-go operation. Most APs live in the glovebox or center console. :lol:

The I, Sport, and Sport# modes are really just different throttle maps, though, it's not quite as simple as that. When you get tuned, the effect they have can also be tuned to your liking, however, they are not three separate maps. The ECU can only store and run one map at a time.

You're likely not running an aftermarket turbo.

Let's get you thinking...if you think you have a different turbo and you say the timing belt has been replaced...I'm betting the first turbo took out the engine.

I hope they replaced the oil cooler too...

How many miles have you put ont he car ?

Oh yea, both my Cobb AP's spend there day's in a box on the floor behind the drivers seat with a qt of oil and a roll of paper towels, just in case...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have put about 400 miles on the car. I have had a Cobb access port before. I u derstand how that all works. I just wanted to make sure if I got a tune. That my sport mode selector was still going to be effective. I like getting 24 mpg. But I like the sport sharp setting to. And how its just a simple turn of the knob. And damn there is a huge power boost when in sport sharp. Its break traction if I get on it in first.

If you have a top mount then you should already have some kind of tune. If you don't find a local with a cable in the DMV area or *DCAWD* there are shops around as well to opensource Like I did when i was there. There are plenty of people who have been cryotuned so you should be fine that route as well. Will be way easier to get a bunch of people here to vouch for them than a local shop.

Thanks guys for all the info. I think this car had at least an intake on it that was removed before I bought it. Cause the stock air intake is flawless and was very loose installed. None of the clips where installed. And I still think my turbo isn't stock. Or was at least replaced. Its vrry new and shiny. But the turbo heat shield is making it hard for me to see.

Archived