LegacyGT.com

Moore Performance Blast Plates

Max Capacity

Sorry AJW...I went with APM blast plates as they are down the block from me...gotta support local shops too...got my clutch and blast plates installed...liking it alot so far...super crisp shifting so far...

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed the blast plates today... with the trans left in the car. :)

I dropped the trans mount off the bottom of the transmission, removed the pitch stop, disconnected the shifter, and disconnected the exhaust.

Here's the fun part. I pulled back the carpet in the passenger carpet and drilled a 3/4" diameter hole in the trans tunnel right where the top rear bolt would slide out. That's the toughest bolt to get out. Next toughest is the front top bolt the runs right into the downpipe. I cut the head off of that bolt and slid it back the other way. Plenty of space!!! Last two bolts come out with no interface. Three of the bolts slide in from the driver's side without issue and the last one slides in from the hole cut in the trans tunnel. All bolts can be torqued with the trans in the car. A metal knockout hole plug with some high temp silicone seals the hole.

Turns a several hour job into just a couple hour job if you take your time. Hindsight, I'm not sure the shifter, pitch stop or exhaust needed to be disconnected saving even more time.

Notice any improvements in shifter feel? Also any pictures of your installation?

Haven't got it all back together yet. I ordered some Whiteline trans mount bushings and am waiting for them to arrive. More news at 10!

Hole.thumb.jpg.cb1a401360fc5e3f8ead07d64f81c218.jpg

Plug.thumb.jpg.7cdc91625482e70a1f3789ccc80c04c1.jpg

Inside.thumb.jpg.d2f16edfe0c620577ea70e884c6e89e1.jpg

• 3 months later...
so what exactly does this accomplish? smoother shifts? if so how is it different or better than installing something like a stiffer tranny mount (group n mounts). has anyone gotten both? is one more noticeable, cause more smoother shifting than the other. both of these from what i hear accomplish the same goals.

The idea behind it is that the case halves are flexing under load. These tie the halves together in such a way that they don't flex.

A stiffer tranny mount stops the driveline from thrashing around under the car. I have group n motor mounts, tranny mount, and diff inserts.

They do not make the shifting smoother. They stop driveline thrash. Flooring it in 2nd and going to 3rd, still fights me and it doesn't feel like it wants to slide in easy.

My understanding is that these help with that feeling. Everything "should" line up together because there is no case flex.

However, this is very much a YMMV mod and seems pretty controversial if it actually does anything. If you are going to have everything out and you have $400 to drop, probably not a bad idea, but just be aware you are potentially wasting your money.

Not all reviews are as positive as Max's and there isn't a lot out there on them (when i looked 6 months ago).

I will strongly consider adding them as soon as my clutch goes though.

kewl thanks for the low down. they sounded the same to me. both together sound like a good time waiting to happen. i do have the engine and tranny both out right now so i was looking into a couple different things to throw at my ancient legacy that will make the final miles a bit more enjoyable.

you mentioned the diff inserts those i would like to tackle as well. ive heard hellish stories about getting them out and in how hard was it for you even though you probably have a pretty clean car with minimal rust?

kewl thanks for the low down. they sounded the same to me. both together sound like a good time waiting to happen. i do have the engine and tranny both out right now so i was looking into a couple different things to throw at my ancient legacy that will make the final miles a bit more enjoyable.

you mentioned the diff inserts those i would like to tackle as well. ive heard hellish stories about getting them out and in how hard was it for you even though you probably have a pretty clean car with minimal rust?

I just did these so it was pretty easy. I have some rust (car cam from back east). But it wasn't bad.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Nri-IJGgddI/TVLXIJPupTI/AAAAAAAAAMM/3VWw6ivI11Y/s1600/Bushings+going+in+rear+diff+carrier.jpg

Just replacing all the bushings with new ones (OEM, GroupN or Poly) will probably do wonders for how the car feels.

I actually didn't notice your car was a 2001, It's possible my advice doesn't hold (specific to my model). I would research it some more, before you make your decision.

FWIW, I still enjoy the blast plates on every shift. They are all clean and never fights going into any gear.

I also have a OEM STS, it feels the same as it always did.

Have one of the whitline rear diff top mounts the second was to rusted.

Have whitelines in the front diff mount too

Have the STI lower tranny mount too, it has been in there since the car had 3-4000 miles.

The car is my DD.

The one big improvement I noticed was when passing a car on the back roads. This one road has a high crown, previously the tranny would fight me going into 3rd as I tried to come back into my lane going over the crown, the last time I passed a car there dropping into 2nd gear pulling out into the other lane, then hitting 3rd coming back over the crown the tranny shifted cleanly, I was surprised the first time it happened.

Glad I bought the plates.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know what you mean. But I can say I enjoy them on every shift. I drive a lot so I'm glad I made the investment.

The tranny always goes into gear cleanly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• I Donated Too

I would back mac_capacity with his evaluation of the blast plates. Every negative review i've read has come from someone who either expected some major difference in their car (not really going to happen unless you're really in tune with it like Byron), or from someone who whines about the price. They're small batch parts made by a small company, there's not much volume to spread the R&D cost across.

I have not seen any 5mt's grenade with blast plates, unless they were poorly maintained or ticking time bombs even before the plate install. A healthy trans, with blast plates added, should be as durable as an STI/specB 6mt. THe plates prvent the case from twisting/torquing around the mainshaft/bearing area, and the replacement bolts allow a higher torque spec in that area to prevent the case from spreading. It's a pretty simple concept that delivers.

When I told Mark Eastwood at Eastwoods Auto Machine about them, that's the same thing he said. My tranny guys works for Mark so Mark has seen the tranny.

About being in tune with the car, my GF say's "were attached at the hip".

Of coarse they do. They have been doing them for a very long time.

I think they are in vacation this week so call before you stop by. Make sure you tell Mark or Mike I sent you. Mark loves to show you around the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

No issues with mine either. I agree, they do seem to smooth out the shifting. The shifts (up and down) feel much more crisp.

I installed them the same time I did the Group N engine and trans mounts. My driveline has tightened up significantly. I'm loving them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • I Donated Too
Does anyone make these for 6mt? Or is this only needed for 5mt?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Only needed for the 5MT. They are longitudinally split, which is what this helps. The 6MT is split at the center, and therefore immune to the types of failures that the blast blates remedy

Archived