LegacyGT.com

Moore Performance Blast Plates

Max Capacity

I have these on my 5mt.

The tranny has 96,000 miles on it from a junk yard. The car has 196,000 miles with lots of tranny issues since I bought it new.

The JY tranny was opened up before installing it, replaced all the synchro's and both bearings on the ends of the main shaft.

This tranny with the Blast Plates shifts much cleaner then the old tranny. It doesn't fight me when shifting to 3rd gear under high torque loads.

The 1st to 2nd shift is also much cleaner under the same load.

There is a increase with noise on decel from the old tranny. At the same time these plates were installed I replaced the rear diff cradle bushing with a Poly one. I can hear the decel noise has moved towards the rear of the car. The top of the rear diff also has one poly bushing.

There's a long down hill section on the highway on my DD to work. The old tranny was quiet there on CC. Now I can hear the decel noise.

The old tranny would make the decel noise in 1st through 3rd gears on the back roads going downhills, it was quiet in 4th and 5th.

The car also has a Spec LWFW which also increases the noise on decel.

But overall, I enjoy what the Blast Plates do while shifting.

Yesterday from a stop sign behind a mini-van... she finally made her right turn and was polking along. There was no traffic coming the other way on the back road.

I rolled into WOT in 1st gear, pulled left, about her rear bumper shifted into 2nd, as I was retuning to the right lane over the crown in the road I hit 3rd gear nice and cleanly, then lifted and coasted for a while.

Those shifts felt so nice and easy, big difference from the old tranny. There's was not hint of any trouble going into the next gear.

That 3rd gear shift off camber going up over the crown in the road could be hard in the past.

I've had the Blast Plates on for about 500 miles now.

So far I like them.

When this clutch goes, I plan to go back to steel FW. I should have done that 44,000 miles ago when I put this clutch in when I installed the ej257.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6629_zps19ecc410.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6631_zpscb237b40.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this Max. I'm thinking about a set myself, but I don't want to drop the tranny if this is the only thing I would do. I'd rather do double duty when it's time for another clutch (which may be a while yet since my competition clutch is holding very well).

I know you replaced key parts, but I wonder what the qualitative difference is with no internal rehab and just the blast plates alone.

As a scientist, I'm always looking to isolate the variable :)

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I was going to mention that the old tranny had new synchro's a twice in it's life. Had a new mainshaft 20,000 miles ago. It never shifted as nice as this one.

There was so many rebuilds on it that my tranny guy told me last year, to be looking for another tranny. He didn't want to put that one back in if it ever had a issue, there was more play in the area where one of the big bearings go then he'd see. It was pulled out this time for "Lost 5th gear" that thread is in this forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks for the write up Max Capacity!! Not real excited about dropping/lowering the trans to mount these but other than that it sounds like a no brained...How much did they run if you don't mind my asking? I have the same LWFW set-up and I'm not in love with the noise factor either...almost swapped to an OE FW when I had the engine out last...

$399.

I think I noted that I put some black RTV in the tops of the open tubes to keep crap from getting in there, this is a DD.

No, the "Lost 5th gear" thread has the whole story. My tranny guy installed these when he put new sycnro's and new bearing on the back of the main shaft.

Another thing I like about the Blast Plates. Coming back from the Karting Track on Saturday, traffic on the left two lanes had slowed because traffic was backed up on a exit ramp to another highway. I pulled into the open right hand lane, dropped it down into 3rd from 5th, went to WOT, the shift was very easy from 5th to 3rd.

• Moderators
Byron, glad you like these and seem to be enjoying the new transmission. That said, I seem to recall a decent amount of info out there that these blast plates may be somewhat useless on this platform for whatever reason. Not trying to rain on the parade, but before a bunch of others go out and buy them, pull transmissions, etc, it's worth doing some extra research I think. If I already had a transmission out, it would be a bit more of a no brainer and I'd chalk it up to "it can't possibly hurt, so why not?"

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Oh yes, that's why I'm trying to tell my side. Having put 196,000 miles on the old tranny, I think I have a good feel for the difference. Not sure what those other have against the plates. But for the different pavement angles, torque loads, pavement surface and tire slippage, etc.

I know a lot of things can effect how the long mainshaft deals with different stress's. I'm no Engineer but, I can feel a difference. That's one of things I do at work. Been a aero-space assembly tech for over 40 years. Touch and feel have a lot to do with it.

I will say the first 196,000 miles, I really didn't think much about tranny, it just always shifted hard compared to the Honda Civic Si. These plates don't make as good as a Honda, but it's a lot better then without the plates, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Little over 2000 miles on the blast plates. Tranny shift's nice. It just feels so smooth going into 3rd at any speed or throttle angle.

I don't believe my 1998 GT wagon or 2000GT wagon was this clean going into gear.

Been on the fence about these blast plates for quite some time. Great to hear a good review from an experienced Legacy owner.

In addition to giving you smoother engagement, would you expect these plates to reduce case flex, and therefore reduce the likelihood of shearing gears? I know that's quite a controversial topic as far as blast plates go.

Yes, from a couple machinest, it makes sense. Even with my simple mind, anything you can do to stiffen the case is going to help.

They make stiffeners and cuff's for Honda Civic 5mt so it can handle the 1000+ WHP guy's put through them.

After reading Max's reviews it piqued my interest.

I started a short thread about this after a phone convo with the guys at AJW. They may be able to offer us a better GB price if we generate some interest. The Nasioc thread was more or less to test the waters.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234658

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

• 2 months later...

Had a OEM SMFW and Spec 2+ clutch installed.

The tranny is much quieter, most all the driveline noise is gone. Tranny still shifts great with the Blast Plates.

• 2 weeks later...
That was my fear. I was hoping one could remove the drive shaft, exhaust, rear trans mount bolts, and pitch stop then lower the tail of the trans down enough to get the bolts out. Maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens. Worse case is I take out a couple more bolts and drop the trans.

Yes the studs go all the way through the case. So the tranny will have be removed not sure you can do it with just tilting it.

Contact Ryan Moore, he was very helpful.

Still enjoy the shifting of the tranny with these plates. Just did two 5 hours drives up VT,across the top of NH and into ME and back. Most of it on back roads.

Archived