LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy Wheel Bearings

Hello all,

I have a 2009 legacy (non-turbo) and it's at 72k miles. I am soon to be on my 4th wheel bearing. (2 Left Front, 1 Right Front, 1 unknown as it's at the dealership), and my extended warranty runs out this month :mad:

Has anyone else really had this issue? From searching around looks like it was a big problem in 2005 but I guess it was supposed to have been solved.

I asked the dealership why they are going out so quick, they answered "it doesn't surprise me".

Thanks for your help!

• I Donated Too

What you doing with the car? Live on a street with lots of potholes?

It's not as common on the 2009's - I have a 2005 GT and a 2009 2.5i

I have never replaced them on the 2009 at 114k miles but I have had them go on the 2005, Once at 80K and the dealer fixed the fronts and I did the rears that same weekend they did the fronts and then at 110K I replaced the dealer parts at the front because after just 30K they started to make horrid noises again. The ones I did at 80K have never failed... I use SKF parts, I think OEM is Timken and those are meant to be okay but who knows?

Not sure if you're handy but changing them isn't that much effort especially if they've been on and off a lot and the bolts aren't rusted. I keep mine well greased - IF and WHEN they fail again... "I won't be surprised"

Sorry to hear this. The 08-09 2.5i are very hit or miss (mostly miss) with bearings. My 2.5i hit 137K with no issues but I have read that others failed at 24K miles. What brand of bearing have you been using to replace the failed units? I stick with TIMKEN but MOOG are good units as well. Ask the dealer what they use and try to nail them down on what happens if their installed part fails in 10K miles as that is very atypical for any vehicle to chew through them.

No problems with mine, what symptoms did the car have? humming noises? I also wonder if they're torquing the axle nut with the wheel on the ground? They should know better than that, so I doubt that's the case.

What you doing with the car? Live on a street with lots of potholes?

Well I do live in Michigan, our roads are horrid and we have to drive around like mario kart avoiding potholes. So maybe that's the problem...

What brand of bearing have you been using to replace the failed units? I stick with TIMKEN but MOOG are good units as well.

Dealer has been replacing them so I am not sure. I have always had good luck with TIMKEN in the past and plan on using them when and if they they go later and I do it myself. However, if I find out OEM is TIMKEN I might try MOOG or another brand.

Do you always take it to the same dealer? Axle nuts to have a torque spec, and if they are just hammering on the center nut with a impact gun after bearing install they maybe damaging it.

Yep same dealer, I am done with them they are slow and dumb. I am just letting the extended warranty go and I will just have to do it myself when it happens again. I told them my starter was also grinding (sounds like slow recoil) when the weather got cold they said that it's normal and all cars do that. I told him he is full of crap and left.

No problems with mine, what symptoms did the car have? humming noises? I also wonder if they're torquing the axle nut with the wheel on the ground? They should know better than that, so I doubt that's the case.

It's a faint humming noise when it starts to go (cyclic humming), when it gets worst it becomes a lot more noticeable. Always seems to be worse at 50-60 mph.

Thanks everyone for your help and support! I already found some guides to replace them so that is nice if I need to do them later.

The starter is easy to remove, grease the shaft and re-install. I did my 09 a few weeks back.

He was correct when he told you its normal for them to make that noise when it's cold out. That still doesen't make it right.

The rebuilt aftermarket starter in my 05 has never made that noise.

Oh, Moog Hubs will not work on the front, only work on the rears.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The starter is easy to remove, grease the shaft and re-install. I did my 09 a few weeks back.

He was correct when he told you its normal for them to make that noise when it's cold out. That still doesen't make it right.

The rebuilt aftermarket starter in my 05 has never made that noise.

Oh, Moog Hubs will not work on the front, only work on the rears.

Good to know about the starter, I will give that a go when I get some time.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Moog hubs.

Archived