LegacyGT.com

subie probs

I'm already making plans for a new turbo from jmp. I like to support a good member and great service he provides for our gt's. so if the motor comes out of the car soon just send the turbo you have to him during the down time you'll have.

This is a great idea, he really needs the cores right now!

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start a conversation with JmP6889928. I definitely do not want to go so big on a turbo that its no longer fun to drive at lower rpms(made that mistake before) so sticking with a vf40 sounds like a good idea, my only issue with this is turn around time.

My shop told me everything should be buttoned up in less than two weeks, I dont know if that will be enough time for him to switch out the chra and mail it back but I'll talk to him and see if its possible; couldn't hurt to ask.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I am overflowing with parts. As of now I have my short block, up pipe, down pipe, bnr 18g turbo, grimmspeed 2x gaskets, arp studs, IPT oil line, 740cc side feed injectors, grimmspeed 3 port boost solenoid, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

The car goes under the knife in march. Ended up going with an 18g turbo but will be sending my core out to JMP to help with his experiments if he still wants it. I'm hoping he gets closer to perfecting his ball bearing turbo at some point. Very interested in that.

The shop quoted me about 3000 for short block install, gaskets, timing belt, and head rebuild. Does that sound reasonable to you guys? They're always pretty good with prices in the years i've been going to them just wondering if any of you have had experience in the past.

Thanks for all your help, especially tris and max capacity; your threads were a big help when it came to figuring out what I should buy and how I should go about it. After looking at the costs I'm definitely glad I went with an oem shortblock.

I was reading about turbo inlet hoses the other day, and from what it sounds like that thing is a painnn to install, so i figured it'd be best to put it in while everything is out of the car since from what i've seen it is likely to be torn after 95k; buttt I read a few unnerving things.

1) that these inlets have actually closed under boost at or exceeding 20psi, which I may be in the neighborhood of after a tune.

2) I was reading the reviews of the inlet from people who had purchased them, and some people claim that the newer versions of these inlets are reinforced and will not close, and others said not to buy it because the larger diameter coupled with an aftermarket downpipe make it harder for the turbo to spool?

Does that last claim hold any water to any of you?

I was reading about turbo inlet hoses the other day, and from what it sounds like that thing is a painnn to install, so i figured it'd be best to put it in while everything is out of the car since from what i've seen it is likely to be torn after 95k; buttt I read a few unnerving things.

1) that these inlets have actually closed under boost at or exceeding 20psi, which I may be in the neighborhood of after a tune.

2) I was reading the reviews of the inlet from people who had purchased them, and some people claim that the newer versions of these inlets are reinforced and will not close, and others said not to buy it because the larger diameter coupled with an aftermarket downpipe make it harder for the turbo to spool?

Does that last claim hold any water to any of you?

Well, good thing the downpipe isn't really part of the spool equation! The Uppipe is, though. You don't want to go too big, and yes, there is such a thing. Remember, you want the UP flowing with high velocity, that's what leads to spool-up.

Well I got a catless up and down. (I'm cheap that's why) haha but that is verbatim what I read on a review. A customer was complaining about spool time increasing with a catless dp and turbo inlet, I saw u put a perrin inlet on your car. How do u like it? Was it worth the 200 bucks?

Well I got a catless up and down. (I'm cheap that's why) haha but that is verbatim what I read on a review. A customer was complaining about spool time increasing with a catless dp and turbo inlet, I saw u put a perrin inlet on your car. How do u like it? Was it worth the 200 bucks?

Honestly, I can't tell the difference, but then again, by the time I got to drive it again, so much was new and different.

The DP is post-turbo, it doesn't affect spool time.

The shop quoted me about 3000 for short block install, gaskets, timing belt, and head rebuild. Does that sound reasonable to you guys? They're always pretty good with prices in the years i've been going to them just wondering if any of you have had experience in the past.

That's just labor? No other parts (new shortblock, etc) included in that price? Just labor to pull/install the engine, timing belt parts / labor, and headwork?

That seems to be about right in line expected costs, maybe slightly cheaper than I would have expected.

The DP is post-turbo, it doesn't affect spool time.

It's possible I am crazy (and I really should use virtual dyno to compare the numbers), but it felt to me like Stage 2 (cryo) spooled faster than Stage 1 (cryo). Not a lot faster, but enough to notice.

Thanks for the reply man, that's good to know, I think I am gonna go ahead and grab an inlet. Couldn't hurt right? My car would've been in the shop about three weeks ago except my shop is building 2 other sti's and i think a wrx right now with similar problems. So at least this build will be practiced ha

• 2 months later...
Just to update. Car is done. Made 275whp at 18psi I need to chase down an oil leak somewhere but for the most part a very happy car, and I love the 18g, I do notice then under wot acceleration that the 5eat can't shift fast enough to avoid hitting red line in 1st and second.

It always looking from the drivers seat, just like when you talk about a aircraft. You always talk from the pilots seat. even if your standing in front of the plane looking at it. That way when you talk about left or right it's always the same, because you always talk from the pilots seat.

So right side is the passenger side. Even if your standing in front of the car looking at the front bumper.

#1 cylinder is the right front one in these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just to update. Car is done. Made 275whp at 18psi I need to chase down an oil leak somewhere but for the most part a very happy car, and I love the 18g, I do notice then under wot acceleration that the 5eat can't shift fast enough to avoid hitting red line in 1st and second.

What dyno was it tuned on?

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived