LegacyGT.com

cold start up with blue smoke?

hey everyone, had a question about cold start ups? now that the weather is getting colder here in NH i have been using the remote start from my porch with my morning coffee. The last couple days i have noticed nothing except for the day after i changed out the pcv valve. Today i am standing there watching it idle, enjoying my coffee, after about 30 seconds of run time it belches a denser cloud of blue smoke and as quickly as the smoke started, it stopped. Am i seeing the signs of ring and piston failure, a defective vf40 (which was replced at 70k) or simply the car running rich for the start up due to the colder weather? any ideas or thoughts are always appreciated. car has just over 86k with no mods. . . yet. new valve covers cam seals timing belt and water pump.

30 seconds....I haven't heard of that before.

If the valve seals are bad, that puff of blue smoke is right at start up.

Might be rings.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i figured if it was rings or even valve seals it would be repeatable day to day, this has not been the case though. It seems very random. i know next to nothing about the ecu mapping system but have been reading up on the basics, looking for a link between the remote start and keyed start. when i remote start is the only 2 times i had seen it and on cold days it holds the idle at around 1200-1500 rpms. when i manually start it i tap the throttle to idle it down and it sits around maybe 800 rpms.

thanks for the feedback. im kinda leaning toward a mechanical issue, such as the pcv but wanted to cover my bases and do some research on the ecu to see if there is something there that would cause this.

the fact that its random makes it hard to diagnose, ive been trying to repeat it but have had no luck in doing so.

i think your luck is that it doesn't do it every time!

the PCV routes to the intake, and can have a bunch of clogged oil, theres a pretty good chance that something just got dislodged from the tubing or intake when you replaced it.

but, also keep an eye on your turbo, when those seals go it can puff smoke, although that would tend to be more consistent.

it has not done it in a couple days even after letting it sit trying to re create exactly how it happened. could be related to the pcv valve that i changed. im thinking if it was a burnt valve i would see it on a consistent basis after letting the car sit. must be one of those subaru things. oil level is checking out normal but ill check it out again tomorrow.

Archived